Last Message by Shane Peacock

Last Message

by Shane Peacock

This is the final book I read in the Seven series. The series' great claim is that the books do not have to be read in any specific order and I ended up with this one because Peacock was my favourite author from the seven presented. This was a satisfying book for me to end with, but generally it would not have mattered when I had read it throughout the series as it has no connection with the other stories. This is one of a handful of the books that delves deeply into the Grandfather's adventure quests for the grandson's, the Grandfather's past and brings another dimension to his personality which we have gradually gleaned from some of the books. This is the most dangerous quest any of the boys have been sent upon, they seem rather grandiose and could be life-threatening, if not illegal. Making for an adventurous read though. I had high hopes for this volume, what with Peacock as the author, but he strays from his usual writing style somewhat and while I enjoyed it immensely this is no "Boy Sherlock Holmes" nor did it become my favourite book of the Seven series. ( )
  ElizaJane | Mar 25, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This novel is part of a seven-book series which involves a grandfather setting out tasks for each of his grandsons in his will. The premise is an interesting one and similar in some respects to the 39 Clues series. However, this book seems more introspective than those of the other series and there is definitely a Canadian slant to it. This was, as one would expect from Shane Peacock, a good adventure story, but I found the plot rather difficult to believe. My 13-year-old daughter did enjoy it, though, and is eager to read the other books in the series. ( )
  mathgirl40 | Nov 17, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Series of seven follows seven cousins who each have a mission from their recently deceased grandfather. The missions will take them around the world, to meet new people and discover parts of their grandfather's past that no one knows about.

Adam was lucky enough that his mission takes him to Paris. He's really looking to prove himself on this adventure because he truly believes that his grandfather didn't think he would amount to much. Adam knows that he's not the best athlete on the football team, but he's still on the team (and the hockey team too!) and this is his chance to prove himself once and for all to his entire family.

So, he's off to France. His parents head off to a romantic vacation and he's off to follow in his father's footsteps, 40 plus years before. Adam thinks he's totally ready for any action-movie worthy adventure his grandfather has in store for him... but is that just his ego talking or can Adam really restore his grandfather's good name AND learn a little bit about the meaning of life from an ancient French cave?

I really enjoyed this adventure and I'm intrigued by the other six in the series as well. They all came out on the same day, so they are a great series for recommending as all the books are already on the shelf. I think it's a good choice for eighth and ninth graders who have graduated from something like the 39 clues.
1 vote nicovin | Oct 22, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great adventure book! This writer reminds me of Haddix's "Among the -" series. I enjoyed how the main character goes on an adventure and a self discovery trip at the same time. I want to read all the books by Shane Peacock. Its a real page turner for girls and boys alike. ( )
  chutchi | Oct 18, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought that this book was excellent! I liked the character of Adam. Just a nice normal kid, who has some adventures and misadventures that were totally believable. I loved how he was a good kid who made some "bad" choices. It just made me like him more.

The book was well written and would hold the interest of middle school boys. I would say kids in grade 7 and 8 would like it best. Younger boys would like it too - but may not be interested in Adams thoughts on his girlfriend, the girl he daydreams about, or the interesting girl he meets in France. And after visiting France with a teenager myself last summer - I would say that Shane Peacock totally nailed it!

I have a 13 year old daughter who I know would love this book - but I can't get her to read it as she looked at the cover and said it was "for boys". She read the back, and said "It looks like another 39 Clues". Then she walked away.

I have been recommending this book (and it's series) to many of my friends since reading. And I look forward to reading others in the series. ( )
1 vote SuburbanHousewife | Oct 18, 2012 |

Adam thought he knew about his grandfather, but when he is sent to France to perform three very difficult (and dangerous, possibly illegal) tasks for him, Adam discovers things about his grandfather-- and himself--that he never imagined.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Shane Peacock's book Last Message was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,666,757 books! | Top bar: Always visible