The Adventures of Ed Tuttle, Associate…

The Adventures of Ed Tuttle, Associate Justice, and Other Stories

by Jay Wexler

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I think it is really hard to write good short stories. Stephen King is one of the best authors out there for short stories and his collections are hit and miss. This book of short stories is definitely hit and miss. There are some pretty good ones in the front of the book, including the title story about Ed Tuttle, The Advisor (about a campaign volunteer and his interactions with the candidate), and a bizarre story about lunch beans. Many of these stories involve the law or lawyers, which makes sense as the author is a law professor. I found many of the stories trying to be funny and quirky but the combination just didn't work for me. There are some gems in this collection but I found the first 1/3 of the book contained most of them. According to the information about the author, he is working on a novel with Ed Tuttle. I would probably pick that one up. ( )
  walterqchocobo | Nov 3, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found most of the stories within "The Adventures of Ed Tuttle Associate Justice and Other Stories" to be pretty weird and they didn’t strike my fancy. I did enjoy the first three stories, and thought the story titled "The Adventures of Ed Tuttle" could be expanded into a full-blown novel. From there on however, the topics became increasingly strange as if they were spawned from one’s inexplicable dreams and some just seemed like a mish-mash of random parts of speech thrown together. Maybe I just don’t have the background experience or smarts to get this author. ( )
  starboard | Oct 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Highly disappointed in this book although I think that is mostly my own fault. This book simply was just not my cup of tea. I found much of the satire depressing and disturbing rather than funny. Although I did enjoy Wexler's experiments with writing styles and story types it all just made me unhappy feeling. I only got through half of this book because I couldn't make myself read anymore. But like I mentioned in the beginning, this book was just not my style and others may find it more enjoyable. ( )
  LVassmer | Oct 5, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Wexler's collection of stories is permeated with the attitude that only years spent in the Washington DC area can bring. The stories are absurd, witty, and enjoyable in their variety. Like any collection of short works, there are hits and misses but the satire and undertones of thereof bring a smile to the reader's face more often than note. While the overall feel of the text can come off as a little dry or perhaps prone to inside humor, this reader found the passages playful and fun. The experimentation in story structure were refreshing and made the book actually seem more cohesive. There were several unexpected lines that were absolute gems. The stories carry consistent themes despite the variable quality but it should be noted that the general quality of the book is high. The book could be overwhelming to a casual reader or to one trying to sit down with it for extended periods of time but taken in chunks, this makes for an entertaining read. Wexler has a strong debut with this collection and it will be interesting to see how he handles a longer format. ( )
  loafhunter13 | Sep 27, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Prof. Wexler's collection of short stories is a trip through a variety of landscapes, not all of which relate to the law or lawyers. I read the "black and white zoo" story out loud to my kids, it was so hilarious. Many of the other stories, though, were head scratchers: alien law librarians, frequent negative experiences with clams, and so on.

Some attempts at humor fell entirely flat, or made me wonder whether they were intended to be funny or not. Lawyers who love baseball will enjoy the reimagining of Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor's appointment hearing but most of the nuance of who the participants were and the importance of things like the infield fly rule were lost on me.

My lack of enthusiasm for this book is as much connected to my expectations (that it would be about the law, it would be funny, etc.). Prof. Wexler writes well and readers who enjoy short stories, especially those that are a bit unusual, will probably enjoy this book. ( )
  davidpwhelan | Sep 27, 2012 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jay Wexler's book The Adventures of Ed Tuttle, Associate Justice, and Other Stories was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,423,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible