Joonie And The Great Harbinger Stampede by…

Joonie And The Great Harbinger Stampede (edition 2012)

by Daniel Landes, Derek Vasconi (Editor), Jason Heller (Editor), Ravi Zupa (Illustrator), Michael King (Cover Design)

13None718,289 (3.1)1
Member:PagePenguin
Title:Joonie And The Great Harbinger Stampede
Authors:Daniel Landes
Other authors:Derek Vasconi (Editor), Jason Heller (Editor), Ravi Zupa (Illustrator), Michael King (Cover Design)
Info:Sakura Publishing (2012), Paperback, 238 pages
Rating:****1/2

Joonie & The Great Harbinger Stampede by Daniel Landes

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A unique look not only at how animals relate to the world and each other, but also how good relates to evil. This is an interesting short story based on a rabbit raised by the sun and the moon to live up to his destiny... But the twist in this comes near the end, when we realize what it is that he is truly fighting. I enjoyed this short story not only for the plot, but for the wrapping of the action with the science of what animals are in their very nature.

This is an illustrated book and the illustrations are very well done. It's clear that the art behind them was well thought out and the humanization of the animals almost blends so that it seems natural. My only issue was that some of the illustrations were used more than once in the early review copy that I have.

Note: Though this book was a free gift from the author, the content of my review was in no way influenced by the gifting. The book speaks for itself and my review would have been worded just this way even if I'd gone out and bought it. I also give bonus points for Text To Speech enabling on Kindle format.... but that also wasn't a factor in the above review. ( )
  mirrani | Mar 14, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was confusing, and difficult for me to invest time into. I felt that the writing style was entirely too adult (or at least young adult) for it to be categorized as a children's book. Also, the violence is something I would not read to a child.

The story, and the mythical nature of the plot, is very intriguing - but the poetic sentence structure and lack of identification in some points was simply confusing.

It seemed the author was less about the whole of the story, more about the beauty of the sentence. Not sure how other feel about that, but I didn't care for it.

I was not the target audience for this novel. ( )
  maura_ea | Feb 4, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Joonie is a rabbit and the Runner, tasked with saving the earth from the Iam. Mother Moon and Father Sun set him on his path, where he will encounter friends, face predators, and discover his own abilities before meeting the greater enemy.

I enjoyed this story. It does have some violent parts, and I found the descriptions of some of the Iam to be very off-putting (which was probably the intended reaction). However, this philosophical folktale was a compelling read, and it will make you think, regardless of whether or not you agree with its conclusions. I also adored the charming illustrations found at the beginning of each chapter and scattered throughout the book. ( )
  BrieAnn | Dec 20, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The only bit of logic I applied to this fantasy was; if animals had to pass down a history, it would be an oral history passed through the generations. At first this heroic fantasy novel, reminded me of Watership Down, by Richard Adams. The beginning was sad, charming, and felt like the start of a legend, which got me excited. From the moment Joonie woke up I felt empathy for him and wanted to stay with him till the end. I cheered for Pencilthin, and was glad to see Bedbug again. Daniel Landes did a wonderful job of mixing folklore in the with personification of animals and their instincts. The story stays with you when it ends, not sure if the world was changed or set to repeat its timeline over again.

I enjoyed this story, even when the visualizations were sad and hard to take. Being in Colorado to picture that devastation in the Front Range, was heart breaking. It seems the theme to point out it wasn't a book made for children. I don't recall it being described as such. ( )
  PagePenguin | Nov 7, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The first part of this book was a retelling of the story of Adam and Eve, which worried me a little. I hadn't signed up for something overtly religious or preachy. Fortunately the rest of the story was more like a fable. There were some clumsy parts, such as when the main character chose to lie to the ravens for no apparent reason, but I enjoyed it overall. I disagree with the ultimate point of the story (that we need ugliness and evil in order for beauty and goodness to exist), but I found it engrossing and interesting. ( )
  wosret | Oct 23, 2012 |

"In the fertile crescent of folklore, the fruit of knowledge is plucked. At that same moment, on the other side of the world, a rabbit named Joonie is born, nearly lifeless. Nurtured by the Sun and the Moon, Joonie must grow to understand his destiny while thundering clouds of change gather across the Front Range. From Daniel Landes and artist Ravi Zupa comes this beautiful myth of worlds in transition and the cataclysmic metamorphosis that threatens to consume all creatures in its wake--They are coming, and a lone rabbit must gather his courage and his friends to face the Great Harbinger Stampede"--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Joonie & The Great Harbinger Stampede by Daniel Landes was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible