Holy Days: Meditations on the Feasts, Fasts,…

Holy Days: Meditations on the Feasts, Fasts, and Solemnities of the Church (edition 2012)

by Pope Benedict XVI

2011515,329 (3.25)2
Member:sacredheart25
Title:Holy Days: Meditations on the Feasts, Fasts, and Solemnities of the Church
Authors:Pope Benedict XVI
Info:Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co. (2012), Paperback, 80 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Your library
Rating:**
Tags:Catholicism, Meditations

Holy Days: Meditations on the Feasts, Fasts, and Solemnities of the Church by Benedict XVI

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Pope Benedict XVI's reflections and meditations are accessible and convenient. They are useful tools for someone who is trying to revitalize his or her prayer life. The book is a thoughtful contribution from one of the most fascinating theological figures of the 20th century.
  zachrd | May 14, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Devotional featuring the best of Pope Benedict XVI's speeches. The book is organized by liturgical date, mainly illustrating the main feast days in the Roman Catholic year. Each entry is approximately one page long and gives one memorable speech given by Pope Benedict XVI on that liturgical date. Before the pope's speech, a secondary author gives the context of the speech, as well as the location and special rituals that occur on that date. The speeches were very appropriate thought-provoking. I definitely find this book useful, insightful, and relevant. A must for any Catholic's bookshelf. ( )
  mandymarie20 | Jan 20, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
While not written to be a major theological work, I found the book to be weak and simple. As a Catholic, the writings are either simple catechismal teachings, subject's of homilies past or of issues that can be found explained in the weekly church bulletin. Certain sections were touching and provided me with insight. I can see where this book would be useful as a quick reference guide stored conveniently at work or home or as a handy meditative guide. However for the most part it didn't provide me with anything that I haven't already heard, read or experienced in the Church. ( )
  Blooshirt | Dec 12, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This very short book aims to introduce Roman Catholic readers to short meditations on saint’s days and feast days. Unfortunately, this version is not the final planned edition with French flaps. Each short chapter is introduced by a few words from Jean-Michel Coulet who is the editor of the French edition of L’Osservatore Romano. Most of the notes explain the nature of the liturgical year and its importance. The reflections by Benedict are edited simply and reveal a single theme. Each theme is a planned as a meditation. The book is meant to be a devotional of sorts for individual private prayer. Benedict’s reflections are often scriptural in nature but he also takes theological avenues as well. Most of the reflections are taken from Angelus talks or Mass homilies. This book is short but well done. I believe it to be the type of slim volume someone could keep in their purse or car or office desk for when a moment of free time is available. Eerdmans is a well-regarded published of religious theme books. Color photos only on the jacket covers. ( )
  sacredheart25 | Nov 6, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Pope Benedict's writings and meditations are always a treasure trove of wisdom and insight. In this brief compilation, however, I found myself wanting more of each excerpt. The selections for most of the feasts of the year are quite brief, often no more than a single paragraph that has apparently been snipped from the middle of one of the Pope's homilies or Angelus addresses. While this works sometimes, more often than not I found the transitions uncomfortable: the reader is dropped too quickly into a train of thought, then snatched away again just as abruptly. ( )
  baroquem | Nov 3, 2012 |

According to Pope Benedict XVI, "the liturgical year is a great voyage of faith on which the Church sets us out." The feast days in the Church's liturgical calendar follow the major events of Jesus' life as recounted in the Gospels. This cycle gives a rhythm to the life of the Church and helps Christians better understand the divine mystery. Especially in our secularized society, liturgical practices guide and deepen our path, centering our focus on Christ and teaching us how to live.

Beginning with Advent and concluding with the feast of Christ the King, Pope Benedict's Holy Days presents excerpts from selected homilies that he has given over the course of the liturgical year in Rome. The book is organized by season and feast days, with brief introductions. This short devotional volume will be a welcome resource for priests and parishioners seeking to focus their minds in preparation for worship.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:44 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Holy Days: Meditations on the Feasts, Fasts, and Other Solemnities of the Church by Pope Benedict XVI was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,960,492 books! | Top bar: Always visible