My Loving Vigil Keeping by Carla Kelly

My Loving Vigil Keeping

by Carla Kelly

Carla Kelly is an undisputed champion in storytelling, be it Regency or Inspirational. I don’t get this ‘hate-on’ of the LDS based and inspired romance that she’s been giving us from time to time. For me, a romance is a romance, hot or mild. It’s the characters and their getting to their happy ever after I love reading about, and if that is well written, plotted and passionately told, I’m there!

And that’s exactly what I got reading this story. Not to mention a piece of history I was never aware of happening in the part of our country I’ll probably never physically see, yet now I can safely say, I saw through this authors wonderful and vivid retelling of it.

Della's journey, her attitude, strong character and conviction to persevere despite the obstacles thrown her way, was an inspiring, heartwarming and heartbreaking story to follow.

Carla Kelly manages to tell this story in such a way that it never, ever sounds preachy despite references to the Mormon religion.

While every character was well-developed with real depth to them, the history behind the mining disaster made this story more real and very emotional.

At first I wished the romance and pace of the book would have unfolded a bit faster, but then I changed my mind. It’s the pace that allowed me to appreciate the romance and the plot more because it made the story real and had me ‘see’ history, places and people I would otherwise never ‘meet’.

This truly is an inspirational, sweet and touching romance I was glad to read.

Melanie for b2b

*Book provided by Cedar Fort publisher ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
I once said that I’d happily read anything Carla Kelly wrote. Unfortunately, this book convinced me what works for her at around 200 pages doesn’t seem as compelling and interesting when the page count more than doubles.

No one who’s a fan of Kelly’s expects her stories to be seat of the pants exciting, but rather thoughtful introspections of how two adults find each other and love in quiet, everyday events. This book is no different except that the dull, everyday events that make up so much of the story feel more like the lifeless prose found on visitor center brochures and only two of the three primary adults in the book act grown up.

Kelly herself admits that the book “is a work of fiction, based strongly in fact. I have woven true stories in with fiction.” And here lies the problem. A greater filter needed to be put in place when Kelly did her research in order to make this story more balanced and to weed out somewhat interesting but unnecessary true stories.

In this book, Della Anders, whose single-parent father died in a mine accident, is shuttled off to be raised by relatives who don’t want her. Consequently, she becomes Cinderella-like, working while her cousins lead the good life.

At twenty-four, she is informed she isn’t invited on the European tour her aunt and cousins will be taking in the fall of 1899. Because she’s earned a one-year teaching degree, for which she alone paid, she takes a job in the mining community of Winter Quarters, Utah, which has a large Mormon population.

Read the rest of my review at AAR: http://www.likesbooks.com/cgi-bin/bookReview.pl?BookReviewId=9300 ( )
  phenshaw | Nov 4, 2013 |
MY LOVING VIGIL KEEPING by Carla Kelly is an interesting inspirational historical Fiction/Romance. Based on the Scofield Mine disaster of 1900 in Winter Quarters, Utah. Filled with coal miners,teachers,faith,healing,forgiveness and hope. A wonderful,uplifting story with a tender romance and heart wrenching details of a 1900 coal mine disaster. An enjoyable read filled with love,healing,hope and the power of love. I would recommend for historical readers as well as romance readers. Received for an honest review from the publisher and/or author.
RATING: 4
HEAT RATING: SWEET
REVIEWED BY: AprilR, Reviewed courtesy of My Book Addiction and More ( )
  MyBookAddiction | May 30, 2013 |
My Loving Vigil Keeping is a historical romance taking place from 1899-1900. The story takes place in Winter Quaters, a mine near Scoffield, Utah. I was unaware of this particular place or the events associated with it.

Della accepts a job to be a school teacher in this remote settlement. She has been emotionally abused and neglected by her Uncle and his wife. Her father was a miner and died in the mine when she was 13 years old. The mining life is something she if familiar with and she goes to help the children of the miners, because she remembers what it was like.

The miners are mainly immigrants from many different cultures and countries. I loved the diversity portrayed and how the families of the miners loved and supported each other. They were very inspirational to me.

I particularly loved the use of Welch words in the book. I know a little weird, but I have always been fascinated and loved learning about people from Wales. My Great-Grandmother was an immigrant from Wales and I remember her stubbornness fondly. It brings a bit more of a longing to find out more about the people and culture.

For me that is always a plus when a book helps you want to learn more.

The story is sweet, sad, funny, and inspirational. I was literally brought to tears at some points and shaking my head at others.

This book is beautifully written. I felt as if I were in that desolate canyon with the characters. I could practically picture it in my mind. I grew to love the characters and had empathy for their trials. ( )
  Bookworm_Lisa | Mar 10, 2013 |
This is not a book for everyone, any more than any book is. But while I was wrapped up in the middle of it – wrapped up as if in a hand-stitched quilt – I couldn't help wishing it was, that everyone could enjoy the simple lovely sweetness of this book. It was such a balm to read, good-hearted and earnest and straightforward, no cynicism and no double meanings and no pretensions … I enjoy many kinds of books, but those that make me feel as this one did have a special place in my heart.

I have no idea what possessed me to request this book from Netgalley. The title sounds like the most standard of historical romance novels; there must have been something about the description. Then it languished on my Kindle for a bit, until one weekend day I clicked on it, more to skim a couple of chapters so that I could decline it and move on, I thought, than to actually read it. Heh. Suffice to say I didn't get much else done that day, and stayed up well past my bedtime, and while I didn't call in sick to work just so I could finish the book, I did need to call in sick and happily (if painfully) settled in to read the end.

It reminded me, strongly and in good ways, of Anne of Windy Poplars, and of Christy. In all three books a spirited young woman leaves her home and goes off to teach, though Anne is never called upon to look after the spiritual well-being of her charges as Christy and Della are. (And Della's home was something she was overjoyed to leave, as opposed to the other two.)

Della's duty takes her to an isolated coal mining community in Utah to teach the miners' children, mostly Welsh. Theirs is a filthy, horrifyingly dangerous existence – even with humane and careful mine owners, every day the men go into the mines is a day they might not come out. Della knows this well – her father was a coal miner, and died when she was very young, so this new life is familiar in ways both good and bad.

There was a strong Christian thread woven throughout this book – Latter Day Saints, specifically, which in its foreignness was a small hurdle for me and which in its LDSness will I'm sure be a larger hurdle for others. For me, though, whatever the trappings there was enough of a connection with the faith I grew up with and wish I still had. There was a sweet and gentle romance here, satisfying in its slow and natural growth and fruition; there was humor here, and a deep sadness that deepened when I found out that the mine disaster featured in the book was real. It was an old-fashioned story well told. I loved it.

My Loving Vigil Keeping:
Though I roam a minstrel lonely
All through the night
My true harp shall praise sing only
All through the night
Love's young dream, alas, is over
Yet my strains of love shall hover
Near the presence of my lover
1 vote Stewartry | Jan 10, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,405,776 books! | Top bar: Always visible