Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies by Cynthia Cooke

Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies

by Cynthia Cooke

631,268,033 (3.75)None

This is the first book I've read from Cooke, and I REALLY enjoyed it. I'm an avid romantic suspense reader, and Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies, had me hooked from page one. The opening of the book is so well done that I didn't want to put it down. This is not one of those books that you read blissfully unaware. It required you to think, keep guessing, stay engaged!!

Another thing that made this book unique was the psychic element that I didn't expect to find. For me, it added an interesting depth to the book. The heroine, Genie, is tough and strong willed. The hero, Kyle, is sexy and loyal. Genie is a triplet, and this family has a lot to hide--as daughters of the former head of a top secret intelligence organization, the CTA. Chemistry between Genie and Kyle was right on, and the relationship between the sisters was complex and challenging. Plot had so much going on kudos for making sure it all made sense in the end.

I have to admit, I got to the last page, and was shocked, because I didn't know it was a set up for another book. Cliffhanger!! And I wanted to read more right then! There were so many layers to the plot, and so much fodder for more development. Many open questions in my mind, and I can't wait to find out the answers. You know it's a great suspense when you make the time to keep reading. I will definitely read more. Would highly recommend this smart and unique page turner. ( )
  Rachel.Kall | Jul 23, 2013 |
Author: Cynthia Cooke
Published By: Entangled Publishing
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: 5
Blog For: GMTA

Review:

"Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies" by Cynthia Cooke was a very good romantic suspense read that I thoroughly enjoyed so much that I couldn't put it down until I had finished it. You will find yourself guessing until the very end which you will be left with a cliffhanger. Be ready for non stop action read! This author was able to keep me on the edge of my seat all the way through this well written novel.

This author's heroine.... Genie's(formerly CTA) past has finally caught up with her and the lies surround her as she attempts to get the truth of really what happened in the death of her dear mother. Genie is very tough and has two sister...all three are triplets...(that has been hidden )..one sister(Becca)could be dead or a traitor to the country and the other sister (Cat)is in hiding with family that knows nothing of her history. Genie is now being sought by someone who is out to get her and her sisters. Now, their Dad(who was the ex-directory of the most secretive agency in the U.S.Government).....is now missing. Will the CTA come to their rescue? Who will Genie put her trust in? What a mess!

The hero was Kyle who was a ex boyfriend of Genie's...who worked for the CTA and now enters... in his chopper with Johnny. What a team that swoops down and brings Genie in for questioning and what a rescue from this 'goon squad' from Genie's 'secret' residence.

All of the characters from Genie, Kyle, Johnny, Cat, Becca, Emerich, Marsters,Amelia, Garrison, to Cameron and I am sure I have left someone out but this group really all a very interesting making this an emotional, passionate, heart stopping good read.

This novel will be full of plots that will keep you on the edge of your seat. I do not want to tell you too much more because I want you to pick up "Deadly Secrets,Loving Lies" to find out just what this secret that the triplets had, why their father keep them separated and even more will come out of this excellent read.

Be ready for a read where there will be love, betrayal, guns, explosions, secret powers, black SUV's lust, boat blowing up, death, vendettas, grief, revenge, finger pointing and some moments that will leave you saying WOW!... I didn't see that coming!

"Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies" will only leave you wanting more in this action paced novel and I would recommend this novel as a excellent read if you are in for suspenseful and romantic read. ( )
  arlenadean | Aug 30, 2012 |
I have been a huge fan of Entangled Publishing since it began--loving the Teen and Indulgence lines. So, I was ecstatic to get to read Deadly Secrets, Loving Lies. Unfortunately, this book wasn't up to Entangled par for me.

The story concept was interesting, but the execution of the plot was shaky. I literally had to force myself to finish the book, and had I not needed to write a review for Netgalley, I probably would not have even finished it.

What did I dislike about it?

There was WAY too much inner monologue. I felt like the entire story was inside Genie's head--and believe me, her head is way mixed up. Everything she thought and said was repeated over and over again. There were entire pages I skipped because they were the same as the page before--Genie griping about having to keep her family secrets, Genie griping about never really being able to be with Kyle, Genie griping about family secrets.....again, and so on and so forth.

The romance wasn't that believable, either. I mean, there were lines about their attraction to each other and how much they loved each other, but I didn't really feel it or believe it. The writing felt shallow, like the relationships and personalities of the characters wasn't flushed out enough.

The ending was rushed. There was so much set-up where you just wanted it to get to the climax already, but once we got there, it was bam, bam, and done. That was the best part of the book--learning the secrets of the family, but the emotion and suspense wasn't there.

I really hate writing such a negative review, but I am finding it very difficult to find something good to say. I mean, the concept was interesting, and I think that it could have been a great book, but the romance and action got bogged down in the inner monologues. The prose was sketchy and the details were overwhelming.

I've seen mixed reviews about this book, so I guess it's either a love it or hate it type of book. Unfortunately, I found myself in the latter group ( )
  jennrenae | Aug 6, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,815,264 books! | Top bar: Always visible