A Look Inside Alzheimer's by Marjorie…

A Look Inside Alzheimer's (original 2013; edition 2012)

by Marjorie N. Allen, Susan Dublin, Patricia J. Kimmerly

Member:susiebrooks
Title:A Look Inside Alzheimer's
Authors:Marjorie N. Allen
Other authors:Susan Dublin, Patricia J. Kimmerly
Info:Demos Health (2012), Paperback, 198 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Non-Fiction

A Look Inside ALZHEIMER'S I Know Who I Am Today, But What About Tomorrow? by Marjorie N. Allen (2013)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has three authors, two of whom were diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's Disease. The third author cared for her husband while he was living with the disease. My thought is that this book would be a very helpful read for anyone diagnosed with early-onset AZ. These patients can see how the two ladies dealt with life changes and the support they received from family members. New caregivers can also get a sense of what changes may occur with their loved ones. If you are primarily looking for information from a medical standpoint, this is probably not the book you want. But it is a good read that tells of the personal side of AZ. It does also give suggestions for further reading and suggestions for organizations that can be resources. As a new caregiver for an AZ patient, I found it a worthwhile read. ( )
  EMYeak | Jun 12, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A valuable book for families facing Alzheimer's. I wish we had this when my dad was diagnosed 15 years ago, as it was uncharted waters for our family back then. The authors begin with a history and clear definitions of various forms of dementia, then follow it with personal stories-- both from individuals recounting the progression of their disease and also from family members' and caretakers' points of view.
The book includes tips on how to help the patient better cope with day-to-day activities and then how to get help as the disease advances. Included is a list of resources for caretakers. ( )
  HouseofPrayer | Jan 5, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Caregiving for someone with Alzheimer's is challenging. The book gives clear, useful information from various points of view. It is a good starting point for further research into the illness. ( )
  GrrlLovesBooks | Dec 21, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Look Inside Alzheimer's offers a good starting point and insightful read for anyone dealing with the early onset of the disease. Down to earth writing that anyone will be able to understand. Gives you a new perspective on what the patient and family are learning to deal with. Book includes additional references for those wanting to pursue the subject. ( )
  susiebrooks | Dec 19, 2012 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A Look Inside Alzheimer's is a slight book, more memoir or introduction than resource, that details the personal experiences of a caregiver and two patients dealing with their diagnosis, as well as insight from a wide range of family members affected by this disease.

The book includes some references for further reading, a brief glossary and list of resources in the Appendix, but at approximately 100 pages it was a very short read that left me wishing for more insight. Maybe my family familiarity with Alzheimer's left me wanting answers that don't exist. ( )
  readaholic12 | Dec 16, 2012 |
In Loving Memory Dave, Mary, Daws, and Char

A Look Inside Alzheimer{8217}s is a read for friends, families and loved ones affected by this mind-robbing disease. Individuals with early-stage Alzheimer's disease will take comfort in the voice of a fellow traveler experiencing similar challenges, frustrations, and triumphs.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

A Look Inside Alzheimer's by Marjorie Allen was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,240,858 books! | Top bar: Always visible