Dark Matter Volume 1: Rebirth by Joseph…

Dark Matter Volume 1: Rebirth (2012)

by Joseph Mallozzi

Dark Matter Volume 1: Rebirth RATING: 3.5 stars.

I don't read a lot of "western" (ah) graphic novels (I'm more of a manga girl) but the synopsis for "Dark Matter" interested me. People who wake up in space with amnesia? Yes, please.

Six people wake up inside a ship with no memories of who they are. This ship is headed for a planet they've never heard of. It is soon apparent that they're not ordinary travelers and that their memories were wiped out by someone. But by whom? And why? As they begin a search for answers they uncover things about themselves that may be difficult to live with.

Dark Matter was an enjoyable read. It had action, some mystery and a lot of though guys who were heroic, but apparently are not exactly heroes. A few of the characters, most especially the robot, seemed kind of... superfluous and there isn't much character development yet (keep in mind this is only volume one), but I really liked Lin and the young girl. The male characters looked basically the same to me, all badass guys that were good with guns (and swords). The villains in this first volume were very stereotypical too.It reminded me a lot of an action/sci-fi movie. The world is sort of gritty, a strange combination of Firefly (band of misfits with a spaceship) and Trigun (the very Old Western feel of the colonized cities).As for the art, I can't judge it accurately for obvious reasons, but I think it suited the story.

Overall, an interesting read. I feel there is more to the plot and am really curious about the girl (the sixth passenger). Recommended for fans of sci-fi and graphic novels.

I received a copy of Dark Matter from Dark Horse Books through Netgalley. Thank you. ( )
1 vote slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Reason for Reading: I was in the mood for a space travel story and the amnesiac angle sounded intriguing.

This story was exciting! I dislike drawing comparisons like this but all throughout I kept thinking how much like "Firefly" the feel of this crew and the plot was. Afterwards I found out the writers were actually involved with writing for all the various "Stargate" shows but even knowing that I still got a very strong Firefly vibe and those who like FF will enjoy this tale. A motley crew with 2 women, 3 men and a child. Varied personalities and visual looks make them different from one another as they play off and antagonize each other. Slight pairings off are made and we even have the mysterious child counterpart of River (from Firefly) in the as yet unnamed female child. An exciting off world episode introduces us to the characters and gives them their first assignment as a team. This would make for a great TV show and plays out well in graphic format. Humour is added to the mix to bring an enjoyable group of characters, with plenty of action, and a backstory running over with mystery and possible storylines. My only complaint is the art. I don't like it. The faces are ugly and when panning out, groups of people become rough-shaped squiggles, blobs or outlines. Fortunately, the characters and plot carry this fun space travel adventure. ( )
  ElizaJane | Oct 19, 2012 |

When the six-person crew of the spaceship Raza wakes from stasis in the farthest reaches of space, the memory of their pasts has been wiped clean. The only clue to their identities is a cargo bay full of weaponry and a destination - a remote mining colony that is about to become a war zone! With no idea whose side they are on, can these amnesiacs leave behind thoughts of their histories and do the right thing, or will their pasts catch up with them? 14 yrs+… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,397,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible