Mocked by Faith (Mocked Series) by Michele…

Mocked by Faith (Mocked Series)

by Michele Richard

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was excited to be chosen as an Early Reviewer for this book. I have always been fascinated with devoutly religious groups and I enjoy when authors use multiple main characters to tell a story. This book started out interesting but by Chapter 6 I felt like the book was dragging on. It sometimes became difficult to keep track of all the characters, and the writing seemed to be all over the place. ( )
  jurai2 | Dec 5, 2011 |
Alexia Cross waited until she was 18 until her parents finally found someone for her to marry. They chose Justin McNear from Britain. They each lived in gated religious communites that relied on arranged marriages. The couple is generally betrothed at the age of 16 so they get to know one another. But in their cases it took place at the beginning of June and they were married before they could even meet. I was hooked from the first page waiting to see just what would happen next. It was great that Alexia married the cousin of her two best friends twin husbands and they are also her good friends. I loved watching them walk down the isle and see one another for the first time too getting to know one another too all of the ups and downs of their marriage. I was excited to learn this is book one in a series, and can not wait until the next one. I can say I will own it the second it comes out. Michele has proven herself again with what an amazing author she is. Never stop writing your a natural. ( )
  preysc | Nov 6, 2011 |
Description:
American born Alexia Cross is 18, lives with her parents in a gated religious community, and is slated for an arranged marriage to a man she's never met. To make things more complicated, Justin, her husband to be, is from a similar religious community in England, but was caught trying to find love outside of the fold. So after they are married, and subsequently have their first meeting, they find it difficult to get to know each other, especially since they are from such different backgrounds. Both of them fear acceptance and have no idea what to expect, especially when it comes to love, trust, support, sexuality, and even the decision to have children. This book is the first in a series by Michele Richard and chronicles the couples awkward and tumultuous first year together.

Review:
I admit that I normally wouldn't have been interested in this book, but after reading the blurb, I decided it was worth a try. After I started reading I realized how interesting it really was. The premise and story-line were very well-written; Michele Richard's world of "The Gates" fully immerses the reader into the lives of Alexia and Justin. I felt that the alternating chapters in each character's point of view were an integral part of understanding their relationship and development, although there were a few confusing sections where there was too much happening at once and/or the dialogue became redundant; (I noticed there was a lot of unneeded info about the way they dressed and about their sexual lives). Overall, I found the book fast-paced and hard to put down; it packs a lot of emotion and is recommended for anyone looking for romance with some substance in their next read.

Rating: Bounty's Out (3.5/5)

*** I received this book from LibraryThing Early Reviewers in exchange for an honest and unbiased review. ( )
  Allizabeth | Nov 5, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am first intrigued by the title and it keeps me wondering why is it titled Mocked by Faith? Is this a pro-faith or anti-faith book?
At first glance, I would never have read this book, but when I open it and started reading, I find myself engross in the story and I read every word in it.
This book is masterpiece of Michele Richard and is a story about alexia, who taught she’s a failure in her family when at the age of 18, she still doesn’t find a fiancé when other girls in town, even her best friends Madison and Ginger are betrothed at the age of 16.
Everything changes when a couple from England, Mr. and Mrs. MacNear came and ask her parents for her, they agreed but Alexia became flabbergasted when she knew that Justin (groom-to-be) disobeyed their rules and tried to find love outside their community and he’s currently in a revirgining retreat. And they’re married not having the chance to see each other first, and just then they realize that the very thing they’re searching for is the person they’re marrying.
This book is definitely a love story with emphasis on faith, husband and wife, family and friends.
The plot is unique, I just don’t know if there’s really a so called community like this that exist or just a product of the author’s wide imagination.
Mrs. Richard writes fluently making her work engaging and a fast-read. I hadn’t put this book down since reading it. I love how she presents the characters and develops them. I appreciate the proper timing when and adversaries come, and the right twist and turns.
I’m just a lil bit stunned at the end, when the story ends, or the right term, I guess, is another chapter or series should start. It’s a cliff-hanger..:O
I must admit though, that I enjoyed reading the marriage theme. For it opened up a lot of things for me, like what it would be like and the consequential responsibilities.
I recommend this book to everyone who have lost a child, having family problems, and enjoyed reading books of true love and base on faith. Enjoy! ( )
  avry15 | Oct 27, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This seems to be a marmite book for many but although I recognise some of the issues that caused people to rate it 1* I found myself being drawn into the story of Alexia and Justin. Set in - The Gates - it deals with the arranged marriage of two teenagers and the ups and downs of their first year together. They are both part of a Christian religious community although Justin has been living in another linked community in England until the wedding. Both of them come late to being paired off [at 18!!] with misunderstandings marring the start of their lives together and in the alternating chapters we see the growing relationship between them from both sides. I think the 2 viewpoints helped to show where the problems were coming from and this did give a fullness to the characters thus providing believablility. Where I found myself increasingly frustrated was with the descriptions of their sex lives [just a little too repetitive and unnecessary for me] and am disappointed that the writer felt the need to go over the top in this area as it makes me reluctant to allow my teenage daughter to read it when the issues described would be good to chat about!
The book does pose lots of questions about the nature of these closed communities, faith, arranged marriages that are interesting to explore. The unpleasant side to the 'revirgining' retreat and the wedding night rituals were extreme but contrasted with the support and friendship displayed when people were struggling. I found this side of the book was the element I enjoyed most as it appears to be a balanced portrayal allowing the reader to make their own judgements rather than forcing one particular view.
This is the first in a series and I will try book 2 when it comes out but I hope the author can resist the urge to be so heavy-handed with the sex scenes! ( )
  arkgirl1 | Oct 8, 2011 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Michele Richard's book Mocked by Faith was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Michele Richard's book Parasouls ~ Divine Intervention was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Michele Richard is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

The Writer's Coffee Shop

2 editions of this book were published by The Writer's Coffee Shop.

Editions: 1612130542, 1612130550

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,239 books! | Top bar: Always visible