Hair Raising by Kevin J. Anderson

​Funny in a ridiculous sort of way, but enjoyable all the same!
Reviewed @ My Shelf Confessions

Hair Raising is the third book in the Dan Shamble Zombie P.I series by Kevin J. Anderson. I’ve read quite a few of the Dune series (science fiction) books that he co-wrote with Brian Herbert​ and loved them! This however is nothing like those, which I consider “serious science fiction” books.

I have to say I have NOT read the prior 2 books in this series. What made this great for me was that I didn’t need to.​ Quite frankly I’m rather tired lately of the series fiction trend that is bombarding the genre. Do I still read series fiction? OF COURSE! – But sometimes it just starts to get tedious knowing there are so many series I need to keep track of or keep current on. This was refreshing because I didn’t feel like I was missing out on important information by not having read the other books. Will I possibly read the other two? Most likely, but I don’t feel like I HAVE to. So if you’re looking for an enjoyable book that can stand on it’s own two feet this is a good one to pick up.​

Dan our Zombie P.I. has a ghost for a girlfriend, witches that keep him in running condition, a human cop buddy, a vampire fiction writer who is writing about him, a harpy waitress, and a bunch of other kooky clients that keep him on his toes. He seemed to be running from one case to the next such that I barely wanted to put Hair Raising down.

If you are into monsters, you will find Hair Raising a delight to read. My favorite critter is the cockatrice. If you’ve ever heard of illegal cock fighting, yes chickens, roosters whatever…imagine that but these chickens are some weird mix between chickens and some crazy miniature lizard dragon thing with crazy scales and wings and supposedly some breeds of them can turn you to stone. They are described as ugly but they sound adorable to me – I WANT ONE! You can also expect some good snorty laughs. I don’t want to spoil anything but there is what I found to be a hilarious scene involving a fat zombie soaking in a public hot bath letting loose some particularly nasty pungent farts. Now how can you NOT want to read about that?

Favorite Quote
“It’s just human, or inhuman, nature: People will find a way to make a big deal out of their differences-the smaller, the better. It reminded me of the Mantagues and the Capulets (if I wanted to think highbrow), or the Hatfields and the McCoys (if I wanted to go lowbrow)…or the Jets and the Sharks (if I happened to feel musical).”

*A review copy of this book was provided by the publisher. All opinions are my own. ( )
  Pabkins | Jun 24, 2014 |

When a serial scalper targets werewolves, zombie P.I. Dan Shamble must lurch through an insane world of voodoo tattoo artists, illicit cockatrice fights and the crazed fans in town for the Worldwide Horror Convention to stop even more fur from flying.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,142,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible