Punk Like Me by J D Glass

Punk Like Me (edition 2006)

by J D Glass

Member:Danneeness
Title:Punk Like Me
Authors:J D Glass
Info:Bold Strokes Books (2006), Edition: 2nd, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:unread, unread lesbian, unread lesbian fiction

Punk Like Me by J. D. Glass

As a lesbian, you get used to books where a young lesbian just coming out ends up sad and alone at the end for the crime of being gay. This is an exception and one worth reading. JD Glass has created an excellent character in Nina, someone with integrity and heart. She has some really tough times, but through it all, maintains who she is. It's gritty and realistic and the best of JD's work since she refuses to read her past novels before continuing the story, creating inconsistencies in the lives of her characters, and then jumps genre with them in later books. While that bugs me, it might not bug you and you do get to learn more about Fran and Sam in later books. Plus, Glass knows how to write about great love and does pretty hot work with sex scenes. I also recommend Red Light, except for the last chapter when the genre jumping begins. ( )
  doc_illusion | Mar 8, 2009 |
For all of us who've been there

and keep it going on
Yeah, okay, I come off as tough, and I like that. I'm only about five foot seven inches, but I know how to handle myself in just about any situation, and if not, I know where to find backup.

Twenty-one year old Nina writes lyrics and plays guitar in the rock band, Adam's Rib, and she doesn't always play by the rules. And, oh yeah--she has a way with the girls. Even her brother Nicky's girlfriends think she's hot. But the road to CBGBs in the East Village where Blondie and Joan Jett and the Indigo Girls stomped, sweated, and dreamed hasn't always been easy. In fact, it was damn hard. There were plenty of roadblocks in her way--her own fears about being different, and the nuns, and the parents who didn't get it, just to name a few. But then there was Kerry. Her more than best friend Kerry--who made it impossible for Nina not to be tough, not to be honest, not to stand by what she knew was right--not to be...Punk.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,636,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible