Shades of Gray: A KGI Novel by Maya Banks

Shades of Gray: A KGI Novel (edition 2012)

by Maya Banks

Info:Berkley (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Shades of Gray by Maya Banks

Recently added bylesmel, private library, Tinne.Joosen, sjsitz, aimeef, Rosemary_Montgomery, Zeta05, Kellylnn22

Similar in feel to Echoes at Dawn. Includes the novella "Softly at Sunrise." ( )
  lesmel | Sep 18, 2014 |
Loved it!

Aside form Garrett, P.J's books is my favorite :)I really am in love with the KGI series.

Fast paced and full of action, this book captivates you and makes you just keep reading. Loved P.J and Cole, their bickering could only lead to one thing and that was an amazing relationship. I just want more and more of these guys. ( )
  Lost_Lenore | May 8, 2014 |
I'm not sure what to think of this book. I did like it better than the two previous with their strange detour into the paranormal, but this seemed like a spy-thriller book so it still doesn't necessarily fit into the rest of the series. I do not understand why THERE IS NOT A TRIGGER WARNING for this book!?!? Holy shit! That was a couple of the most brutal chapters I have ever read & I'm a huge George R.R. Martin fan so that says a lot! I've read books that have had H/h dealing with the aftermath of being raped before (male & female victims) even it happening off camera if you will, but this, this was ... I have no words. I'm not sure what the purpose of reading it "real time" was tho? The author could have gotten the brutality & emotional significance without "showing" the act, I actually think it could have been even more impactful for the reader - particularly PJ's choices & motivations would have made more sense. It feels like an easy way to build up the tension & plot motivations, like the author was too lazy or not good enough to write full developed characters without a cheap plot device. She took the easy way out & this could have been an amazingly triumphant story if only.... ( )
  CMBlaker | May 6, 2014 |
Shades of Gray, released on December 31, 2012.
This story concentrates on PJ who's left KGI and we find out why. Hot steamy sex scenes with one of her team mates-what was she thinking?
Mission they all meet about is a man that they need to take down because he wants to buy young girls and exploit them. She agrees to be the decoy but something goes wrong and they have taken her and abused her while the team listens on...
She gives up her spot on the team and unknowingly goes after Nelson and his boss. The team come to her rescue but she's missed the main guy....she is SO damaged. The Kelly women help her heal and she feels a part of them.
She stays with Cole and she gets intel about more girls being stolen...
My audio copy also included the previous book, Softly at Sunrise. ( )
  jbarr5 | May 5, 2014 |
This review was originally posted on my blog.

If I say that Maya Banks has huge brass balls, I say it and mean it with the utmost respect. The sixth book in this series is so different from its predecessors. The Kelly clan, as well as members from Rio’s team are still present, the action is still heart-thumping, but this book was so much more emotional than even Ethan and Rachel’s story. There’s one sex scene, and the rest is action and emotional turmoil, but it was to be expected, and I loved it all the same.

Over the course of the series, we’ve met Steele’s team, comprised of Baker, Renshaw, Dolphin, Cole and P.J. Former Navy SEAL David ‘Cole’ Coletrane and P.J. Rutherford are the snipers of the team. There’s always been friendly ribbing going on between them over who the better sharpshooter is. Although they’re a tight-knit group based on loyalty and trust, none of them know anything about P.J. outside of work. As soon as a mission ends, she’s out of there. The only thing they know about their intensely private teammate is that she used to be a member of S.W.A.T., but they have no idea what brought her to Steele’s team and eventually KGI.

Some women packed purses. P.J. packed heat.

Coming off the last mission, P.J. returns to her home in Denver for some R&R – seedy bar/strip club, loud, horrendous music, and alone. Just the way she wants it. When her ex-lover and S.W.A.T. teammate strolls in, we finally learn more about P.J.’s past. But when Cole walks in and they start drinking, inhibitions fall, and they finally put an end to the buildup of sexual tension that had been brewing between them since they first met. The awkward morning after is only interrupted by a call to gear up and move out. The mission is far from routine, and P.J. has to act as bait to reel in a child trafficker. Even though every precaution was made to ensure her safety, things take a horrifying turn. Filled with shame that her team may never look at her the same way again, as an equal, she leaves KGI to go on her own mission of one – revenge. But her team, least of all Cole is willing to let her go it alone.

I love any book with a strong, kick butt heroine, and P.J. is no exception. I’ve always been intrigued with her from the beginning. Like the rest of the guys, the secrecy and mystery surrounding her persona just made me hunger to know more about her. In this book we see sides of we’ve never seen before, but underneath her pain that tough warrior sill lurks. What I really loved about her was that despite her stubborn need to be independent, no not ask for help when she clearly needed it, she didn’t put up the typical girly fuss when she found herself falling for Cole. Her reservations were clear, precise, logical, but she was willing to work on her issues rather than keep pushing her away. I can almost see her shrugging as if to say “Eh, that’s just how it is.” Once she’s convinced that her team really does have her back, and that they’d honor their motto of “We live as a team and we die as a team” to the fullest extent, she finally learns to let them in. During the climax of the story, her bravery really blew me away.

Cole ….. sweet, hot, lovable, lickable Cole. He comes pretty close to utter perfection. Ladies, in the first few pages, when P.J. describes what he’s wearing when he walks in the bar … prepare to swoon! I loved his caring and protective streak. That really came out later after he gets P.J. back. He didn’t fight his feelings like most men would, and he didn’t go all Neanderthal on her either. That was actually very refreshing. It told me that he was very secure in his manliness, and he knew the fastest way to lose her was to try and stuff her in a box labeled “female, helpless, must protect at all costs”. I loved it when he had his little soul searching moment and came to terms with the fact that she was bad-ass, and she’d likely be saving him a couple of times. Their little power play remained on the level all the way through, and I respect the hell out of that.

Now I want to go back and re-read the KGI series all over again.

Favorite Quotes/Moments

“Nope. Ned about five more minutes. I didn’t even ask you how you like your meat.”

She choked and covered it with a cough. When she looked back up, he was giving her a glare of impatience.

“For God’s sake, you dirty-minded heifer.”

She laughed and kept on laughing. “Oh come on, Cole. You have to admit it sounded kinky. I mean, I could have said I like my meat hard.”

He sighed and shook his head.

***
“Why do you even want to be involved with me?” she asked. “I’m a complete mess. I don’t have my head on straight. I’m a master at fucking up everything’s that’s good in my life.”

“But you’re my mess,” Cole said quietly. “I don’t need you to be perfect. I just need you to be you because that’s who I care about.”
  MsRomanticReads | Apr 12, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425251128, Mass Market Paperback)

The Kelly Group International (KGI): A super-elite, top secret, family-run business. Qualifications: High intelligence, rock-hard body, military background. Mission: Hostage/kidnap victim recovery. Intelligence gathering. Handling jobs the U.S. government can’t…

P.J. and Cole were sharpshooting rivals on the same KGI team and enjoyed a spirited, uncomplicated camaraderie. Until the night they gave in to their desires and suddenly took their relationship one step further. In the aftermath of their one-night stand, they’re called out on a mission that goes terribly wrong, and P.J. walks away from KGI, resolved not to drag her teammates into the murky shadows she’s poised to delve into.

Six months later, Cole hasn’t given up his search for P.J., and he’s determined to bring her back home where she belongs. Bent on vengeance, P.J. has plunged into a serpentine game of payback that will make her question everything she’s ever believed in. But Cole—and the rest of their team—refuse to let her go it alone. Even if it means sacrificing their loyalty to KGI, and their lives…

Also includes a never-before-in-print KGI novella exclusive to the mass market edition!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:20 -0400)

Former KGI sharpshooter P.J., who is bent on revenge after a mission that went terribly wrong, finds an unexpected ally in former teammate and lover Cole, who is determined to help her, no matter what the cost.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,743,129 books! | Top bar: Always visible