Eighth Grade Is Making Me Sick: Ginny…

Eighth Grade Is Making Me Sick: Ginny Davis's Year In Stuff

by Jennifer L. Holm

I love the format of the book, but I didn't enjoy the story line as much as Middle School is Worse then Meatloaf. ( )
  asomers | Sep 15, 2013 |
A fun follow up to Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf. Sure to be quite popular. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
8th grade is going to be awesome. At least, it could be, except that Ginny has a lot going on: her mom just remarried, they moved into a big house, her stepfather lost his job, her big brother is still getting into trouble, her little brother is still a pain... and now there's a littler brother in the picture. On the bright side, there's the cheer squad, and her grandpa is coming to visit, and even dissecting worms in science class has a bright side.

A follow-up to Middle School is Worse Than Meatloaf, Ginny's 8th grade year is, if anything, more dire than the first. Health problems, financial woes, and navigating tricky social situations all bring this to a (sadly) realistic, relatable place for middle schoolers. It's not earth-shattering, but it'll circulate pretty well, owing at least in part to the scrapbook format. ( )
  librarybrandy | Mar 31, 2013 |
Ginny Davis stars in this lighter version of Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf and the ending gives indications there will be sequels. Ginny's life continues to have its ups and downs. Henry is not as angry as in the first book but he does continue to get into trouble. Ginny remains supportive of her brother though not some of his actions.
Brian (Ginny's boyfriend) is a hoot and is really a young version of Grandpa Joe. Ginny's relationship with her former best friend and former nemesis (same person) continues to heal. Ginny's friend Becky remains understanding.
You have to read and see everything. I completely missed Ginny's illness because of not reading the DEN webpage completely.
The hypothesis that the teenage brain is quite unlike that of an adult's is completely supported by this book. ( )
  geraldinefm | Oct 8, 2012 |
"I'll just flick through it" I thought, when it arrived on my desk, shiny and new from processing. Ten minutes later, I had read a large chunk of the ending (yes, I read endings first. Live with it.). Later that day, review copies arrived from Random House, including the same shiny title. At home, I thought again, "I'll just take another quick look..."

I finally bowed to the inevitable, started at the beginning, and read the whole thing. I've never read Middle School is Worse than Meat Loaf, although I frequently recommend it as a read-alike for Wimpy Kid fans. However, it's not necessary to read the first book to pick up the plot and get drawn into the story. It's surprisingly easy to pick up the plot from the sticky notes, emails, lists, pictures, poetry assignments and other "stuff" that comprises the book.

Ginny is excited about eighth grade. She has plans and everything is going great. But one by one things go wrong. Her mom gets pregnant, her older brother gets into serious trouble, her stepdad loses his job, and she feels sick all the time. With no money, her plans with friends get cancelled and it seems like nothing is working out. In the end, some issues are resolved, some are not, but Ginny has survived eighth grade and is ready for big changes like moving across the country and high school.

Ginny's stress is so real I started feeling sick along with her! It's easy for an adult reader to see her mistakes and some of her family difficulties coming, but Ginny's reactions and behavior are completely typical of a teen her age. I can look at her behavior and match it up perfectly with the attitudes of my after school middle school teens!

I went back and forth on where to place this book - eighth grade is really "teen" but I hate splitting series and there's nothing really inappropriate in the title. Kids tend to read up anyways, so we decided to put this one in juvenile fiction. I suppose it could have gone into graphic novels now that I think of it, but I'm not changing the spine label now!

Verdict: Whether or not you have the first title (and you should) this is a great book for reluctant readers or kids who like realistic fiction and want a fast read. Holm and Castaldi have done an excellent job blending their story and art together. Recommended.

ISBN: 9780375868511; Published August 2012 by Random House; Review copy provided by publisher; Purchased for the library
  JeanLittleLibrary | Oct 6, 2012 |

Ginny has big plans for eighth grade. She's going to try out for cheerleading, join Virtual Vampire Vixens, and maybe even fall in love. But middle school is more of a roller-coaster ride than Ginny could have ever predicted. Her family has just moved into a fancy new house when Ginny's stepdad loses his job. (Can worrying about money make you sick?). Ginny's big brother keeps getting into trouble. And there's a new baby on the way. (Living proof that Ginny's mom and stepdad are having sex. Just what she needs.) Filled with Post-its, journal entries, grocery lists, hand-drawn comic strips, report cards, IMs, notes, and more, Eighth Grade Is Making Me Sick is the sometimes poignant, often hilarious, always relatable look at a year in the life of one girl, told entirely through her stuff. Part graphic novel, part scrapbook and altogether original—Eighth Grade Is Making Me Sick is just right for fans of Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Babymouse!

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:13 -0400)

Eighth grade turns out to be an eventful year for Ginny and her family, as notes, lists, report cards, doctor bills, and other "stuff" reveal that the family moves to a big new house, Brian starts to be more than just a friend, Ginny's mother has a baby, and her stepfather loses his job.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,927,593 books! | Top bar: Always visible