India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy by…

India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy

by Carol K. Carr

English (9)  Piratical (1)  All (10)
India finally gets a chance to show how she can deal on her own on a mission. She needs to get into a group of anarchist who has been playing with gunpowder. India must get one of the bints, who has connections with the anarchist, working in a lesser class brothel to start working for her. The Madam of the other brothel however doesn’t take this without a fight.

What an evil way to finish the book! We almost learn more about India’s past but then we don’t because the book ends. Evil!

India is very excited that she can finally show that she can handle mission on her own but of course she crosses path with French during the mission. There’s bunch of anarchists crying for freedom and are willing to kill people for it while India and French are trying to stay alive in the middle of it.

And we finally learn little bit of French’s past. I want to learn more but at least that was the start. I’m still waiting to learn more about India and we were oh so close! ( )
  Elysianfield | Nov 16, 2016 |
First, the end, the end. It had me shaking my fist at the ceiling. It was not an omg cliffie. Instead it was the opening of a revelation I had long wanted, but sadly will not know now. I need book 4 so I get to find out about this revelation.

India Black, Madam to a bunch of tarts is in the heat of things again. She is called to duty and will infiltrate an anarchist cell. Dangerous business and she must do it without French ( I still need his secrets too btw!). People and buildings are getting blown up but India had a good head on her shoulders and goes nowhere without her trusting gun.

We have a bunch of anarchist crying out for liberty, freedom and wanting to kill people. India trying to stay alive. A new trollop to school in (I am afraid amazon wont like the other word.) Where is French? Who is French? And the whole enigma of what was shouted out in the last book, who was India's mother really?

The end comes and makes me crave more. It's a good spy book with enough suspense to keep me hooked. ( )
  blodeuedd | Mar 2, 2016 |
India's espionage adventures continue as she is called upon to infiltrate a group of anarchists known as the Dark Legion. Agent French is nowhere to be found, so she is on her own. She manages to successfully convince the group of her anti-government leanings and gains their confidence, while at the same time managing to thwart their diabolical schemes. Imagine her surprise when French shows up as a fellow anarchist! Of course, where India and French are found, Vincent is bound to be close by. Can they catch Grigori, the Dark Legion's leader, without getting themselves and innocent citizens killed in the process?

There are many new developments in this novel that I've been waiting for. For one, we finally learn French's whole name (and what a mouthful it is!). We also learn other details about his life. More about India's past are also revealed, with more to be discovered if the teaser at the end is anything to judge by. Looking forward to the next in the series! ( )
  arbjames | Jan 19, 2014 |
When anarchist begin bombing aristocrats, Dizzy asks India Black to return to the Crown's service in her first solo mission. The two instruct her that a prostitute, Martine, working in a rival brothel has connections to the anarchist. So, India poaches the girl, gains information, and infiltrates the group. But, imagine her surprise when who should appear at the first meeting but French. As the two try to remain connected to the cell long enough to catch the evil Grigori, India must deal with rain slowed business, pursue details about her mother, and fight off a series of attacks from an unknown source all while working with French and the ever odiferous Vincent. The hijinks include bombing a major event and kidnapping the prime minister before catching the bad guys. A lighthearted spy romp with a strong heroine, witty repartee, and lots of action. ( )
  4leschats | Oct 30, 2013 |
This is the third book in the wonderful A Madam Of Espionage Mystery series.

India Black is the madam of a high-class brothel in Victorian England, but is also a secret agent, along with French, for Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli.

In this book India get to showcase her prowess at being a secret agent. P.M. Disraeli summons India to his office, to meet with him and Superintendent Stoke of Scotland Yard. Anarchists are running rampant in London killing off lords and earls at will. They want India to infiltrate the Dark Legion, to determine who the leader is, and put a stop to the killings.

French is off on another mission for the PM so it all up to India to handle this matter. Stoke tells India a prostitute that works in Seven Dials might be able provide some information about who the members are. Being a little devious, India is able to convince the girl to come work for her, hoping the girl will be able to provide information needed to infiltrate the Dark Legion. India get a foothold in the legion and it helping plan further subversive events. Just when India is due to meet some the higher people in the Legion, French appears and with his help, India and French are able to break the Legion.

I am very happy to see that India was able to take the lead in this book. Hopefully in future books, she will also be able to take the lead, just to keep in the back of French's mind that she is capable of taking the lead.

I'm looking forward to the next book in this series and to see if there is a chance of India and French teaming up in more than their spying.
  yoder | Sep 20, 2013 |

"It's a damned shame," proclaimed Lord Wickard, Earl of Ebbechester, and a power in the land, "when a feller can't feel safe in his own country."

In Victorian London, India Black has all the attributes a high-class madam needs to run a successful brothel--wit, beauty, and an ability to lie with a smile. Luckily for Her Majesty's Government, all these talents also make her a first-rate spy...

India Black, full-time madam and occasional secret agent, is feeling restless, when one of Disraeli's men calls on her to meet the prime minister--alone. Even though all her previous meetings have been organized by the rakishly handsome spy French, it's been decided this is a mission India must attempt on her own.

Revolt has spread across Europe and reached the shores of England--anarchists have begun assassinating lords and earls, one by one. Now India must infiltrate the ranks of the underground group responsible for those attacks, the sinister Dark Legion. To stop their dread plot, India will go from the murkiest slums of London to the highest levels of society, uncovering secrets that threaten her very existence...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:43 -0400)

India Black, full-time madam and occasional secret agent, has been called on to meet Disraeli-- alone. Revolt has spread across Europe and reached the shores of England; anarchists have begun assassinating lords and earls, one by one. Now India must infiltrate the ranks of the underground group responsible for those attacks, the sinister Dark Legion. To stop their dread plot, India will go from the murkiest slums of London to the highest levels of society, uncovering secrets that threaten her very existence...… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,784,147 books! | Top bar: Always visible