Masked Ball at Broxley Manor by Rhys Bowen

Masked Ball at Broxley Manor

by Rhys Bowen

Series: A Royal Spyness Mystery (0.5)

English (7)  Piratical (1)  All (8)
My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | Dec 19, 2016 |
★ ★ 1/2

This is a very short story which is suppose to be the prequel to Her Royal Spyness series.... We meet Lady Georgiana 34th in line to the Crown, Prince Otto of Prussia; Georgie's cousin David (Windsor); his soon to be whore, Wallace Simpson; Georgie's brother, Binky; her sour sister-in-law, Fig; and the dashing Darcy O'Mara.

All this is, is an introduction to a cast of characters that are featured in the other books in the series, there is no real story, no murders, no spying.... really nothing. I was hoping this would be more substantial...... Honestly, most all of us who have read the series, will find this too late in coming to be of reading necessity, since we already know the characters.

Since it is only available via Kindle (thank-you Annapi) I suggest that if you really are intent on reading it, to p.m. me and I'll send you the download..... It really isn't worth paying for, and it is not available via overdrive. ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Listened for Fun (Audible)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.50
Character Rating: 4.50

Audio Rating: 5.00 (not part of the overall rating)

TBRJar Thoughts: Oh what fun it was seeing how Georgie met Darcy! Masked Ball at Broxley Manor by Rhys Bowen was a short but fun listen. I do think you need to be familiar with at least one book in the series to get the full enjoyment. If you already know Georgie and Darcy though---you will love it!

Audio Thoughts

Narrated By Katherine Kellgren / Length: 1 hr and 14 mins

I adore this series on audiobook. This is another one of those combos that I couldn't imagine experiencing any other way than on audio format.

From Here to There TBRJar Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Aug 20, 2015 |
Of course I love our Royal Spyness, so its obvious I enjoyed the first encounter of our Royal Spyness with her Titled but broke Spy, did I mention I have a soft spot for the name 'Darcy'? Well, now you know. :3 ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
I am embarking on this series & thought I'd begin with this introductory novella. It was perfect in that it told an intriguing little mystery (who was that masked man that danced with & kissed Georgie?) & gave me enough of a sample of the main character's voice to make me want to know more. I liked the insert of Wallis Simpson & wonder if she makes another appearance in the series. I am already taken with Darcy O'Mara & am pulling for he & Georgie. I find Fig insufferable & wonder what it is that Binky sees in her. I liked the pace & tone of this short & can't wait for the first three books in the series that I've ordered to arrive in the post. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kellgren, KatherineReadersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rannoch House
Belgrave Square, London W.1
October 1929

"Two letters have just come in the post for Georgiana!"

A delectable prequel to the national bestselling Royal Spyness mysteries featuring Lady Georgiana Rannoch—thirty forth in line to the throne, and England’s poorest heiress.

At the end of her first unsuccessful season out in society, Lady Georgiana has all but given up on attracting a suitable man—until she receives an invitation to a masked Halloween ball at Broxley Manor. Georgie is uncertain why she was invited, until she learns that the royal family intends to marry her off to a foreign prince, one reputed to be mad.

When the prince, dressed as the devil, rescues her from an embarrassing situation at the ball, Georgie is surprised to find her unwanted suitor to be a dashing, charming man—especially when he pulls her aside and gives her the kiss of a lifetime. But as the time comes for the unmasking, Georgie’s rescuer vanishes and the party is thrown into chaos, making it clear that everything at Broxley Manor is not as it appears…

Although this takes place first in the chronology of the series, it was written after several of the books had been published and some things won't be clear if on hasn't read the at least one of the books.   This probably wouldn't ruin it.

A delectable prequel to the national bestselling Royal Spyness mysteries featuring Lady Georgiana Rannoch, thirty forth in line to the throne, and England's poorest heiress. At the end of her first unsuccessful season out in society, Lady Georgiana has all but given up on attracting a suitable man, until she receives an invitation to a masked Halloween ball at Broxley Manor. Georgie is uncertain why she was invited, until she learns that the royal family intends to marry her off to a foreign prince, one reputed to be mad. When the prince, dressed as the devil, rescues her from an embarrassing situation at the ball, Georgie is surprised to find her unwanted suitor to be a dashing, charming man, especially when he pulls her aside and gives her the kiss of a lifetime. But as the time comes for the unmasking, Georgie's rescuer vanishes and the party is thrown into chaos, making it clear that everything at Broxley Manor is not as it appears.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,654,735 books! | Top bar: Always visible