Sneak (Swipe Series) by Evan Angler

Sneak (Swipe Series)

by Evan Angler

Series: Swipe (2)

? ? ?1/2 rounded down to 3

Erin is still with her Dad and the Dust are on the run toward Beacon to see if they can find Logan’s sister, Lily. They find the river, which is the current equivalent of the underground railroad, and travel by various ways and means. Erin’s father is demoted, so they pack up and move back to rejoin her mother.

My son was in the throes of reading this last night, until I insisted he shut off his light in order to get some sleep before school the next morning—what I she thinking? ;) Needless to say, he loves this series and will no doubt give this one 4.5 stars as well. As he is in the target audience, he ought to know . However, my son hates to write anything involving words and paper (notes on staves printed on paper, different story), my rating is the one that gets posted.
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
My Opinion: I received a copy of this book free of charge in exchange for my honest opinion.

I didn't think this book (the dreaded second book in a series) would be able to live up to the first one (Swipe), but not only did it live up to it, I honestly think it surpassed it! We got to know the individual characters a lot better as they traveled in groups to Beacon to find a prison that nobody talks about or even knows about (Archeron) and free Logan's sister, Lily. Along the way they meet up with hardship and danger, but not even this will shake them from their goal. They become a family who trust each other and who have each other's backs, even if they don't agree with some of the actions taken by their "leaders", Peck and Logan. Logan is betrayed by one of his own, but this just strengthens his resolve to find his sister.

Along the way to Beacon, the groups meet up with people who help them get where they are going, and who offer them food and rest when it is most needed. Some of these people are Marked and some are Markless, but they all agree that something has to change in their Union's leadership. They have a secret network that helps the Markless find their way to safety called the River, and they call themselves "fishers of man," which anyone who has read the Bible will recognize as the words of Jesus himself. It is in essence set up like the Underground Railroad, which I thought was incorporated into the story very well. They call the path the "Unmarked River" and the kids have to look for certain symbols carved into trees and such along the way so they don't get lost and end up in the desert with no food or water. They also have to be very careful to look for any symbol that means the place they are heading is a trap set to catch the Markless, not help them, but they don't always see it, which results in chaos and occasionally violence, but even this does not stop them.

There is no religion allowed in their time but Logan is given a (banned) book by a Markless and really enjoys reading the stories in it. Only after his group meets up with the rest of the Dust and they find a huge Markless community that has an underground church in it does he find out that the book he was given was the Bible and the stories in it are true. Yes, this is Christian fiction, but I don't feel like Mr. Angler beats us over the head with it; he weaves the religion seamlessly into the story line and brings it up only when it furthers the story. To a Christian such as myself, this book is a lot more mainstream than straight up Christian fiction, but that is only my opinion. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed how religion was used to stir the pot so to speak, and not just added willy nilly so that it could be called "Christian fiction!"

I was also happy with the ending and felt like it set the scene for the beginning of the third book perfectly, and I really don't say that very often! All in all, I felt like this was an excellent second book in what has so far been a very interesting and unique look at Revelations and the Mark of the Beast, showing how anybody who thought independently was ostracized from society and had to try to make it on their own, which was nearly impossible unless you joined a group of Markless to have your back. I thought the world building was excellent and the explanations for how the Earth got to the point that it was were believable and well written. The descriptions were spot on and made me very thirsty when the kids were traveling in the heat with no water! There was definite character growth in this book, which is really what a second book should have - the world building was done in the first book, so I expect the characters in the second book to be at the forefront so we can get to know them and relate to them, and even feel like we are suffering alongside them.

In summary, I am giving this book a very enthusiastic 5 stars! I can definitely recommend this series to fans of YA, dystopian worlds, and Christian fiction. ( )
  jwitt33 | May 31, 2015 |
When I began reading I felt rather lost, you see, I hadn't read the first book in the series, Swipe. So I stopped Sneak and read Swipe. So, the premise is that the USA began to slide down further into a pit of crime, famine, and war. Two leaders arose from the wars and forged an alliance, The Dome. Part of the alliance was a mark being placed on all citizens, which allowed them to live, work, and play within the tightly controlled boundaries of the new law. Religion and patriotism are done away with and everyone is expected to "worship" the new leaders who saved them. At the end of book one, Swipe, Logan's sister had gone to receive her mark as she had reached the age; however, there was a mishap and Lily was never seen again and Logan's family was told she died during the procedure. Life was never the same. A new girl moves into town and befriends Logan. Erin is the daughter of a Dome official and she is unhappy about the transfer. She will do anything to get her father transferred back so she can resume her normal life in Beacon City with her family intact.

Enter, The Dust. The Dust are a group of markless kids who live and play outside the law. They live in an old grocery store, eating what is found on the shelves, and looking after each other in a disfunctional familial way. They want Logan. They watch Logan. They try to capture Logan. At the end of Swipe, Logan, who had begun feeling like he was living under a microscope but did n eliminate.

I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series. A bit dark for elementary aged children but middle to high school aged should be able to understand and even enjoy the books. ( )
  weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
Originally posted at Thinks Books.

You might not want to read any further into this review because I am afraid I can't avoid spoilers anymore! Being so vague all the time is too taxing.

I did not realize until halfway through Sneak that Swipe is a Christian Fiction series. I am not used to religions being specified in books so it caught me off guard when I discovered that the banned book Logan was carrying around is the Bible. I thought it was very interesting how the whole idea of faith was absorbed into the Dust. It was a freedom and a choice they were allowed to make that means the world to some of them. Logan seems as though he is still apprehensive in his beliefs, but I know whatever evolves out of Storm is going to have things clicking into space.

So, Logan and Peck and all these other guys (Dust), are on a mission to find Logan's sister, Lily. She disappeared during her pledge and Logan believes she is being held in a high security prison called Acheron. This poor gang of Dust go through so many life threatening situations, but I still found myself losing interest in Sneak. What is up with that? I really have no idea. I just know that I am really not engaged with any of the characters. Maybe it is because there are so many. LoL

Anyways, the writing was very good but a little predictable. Is there anyone out there that did not see the twist with Lily coming? But, I am still forgetting that this is not technically a YA series. Again, not saying this book was bad, but it just didn't really hold my interest the whole time. I kind of had to trudge through it.

3 stars to Sneak. ( )
  ThinksBooks | Apr 27, 2013 |
Great series! ( )
  mrsrenee | Apr 10, 2013 |

In a future United States under the power of a charismatic leader, thirteen-year-old Logan and his friends, a group of dissenters called the Dust, receive some startling information from the Markless community, opening their eyes to the message of Christianity and warning that humanity is now entering the End of Days.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,510,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible