Apollo's Outcasts by Allen Steele

Apollo's Outcasts (2012)

by Allen Steele

$ (1) 14 (1) 1st (1) 2013 (1) adventure (3) battle (1) boys (1) Christopher (1) coming of age (2) disability (2) E (1) ebook (1) fiction (1) First Edition (2) future (1) hard sf (1) hardcover (1) Inscribed (1) JPL (1) kids (1) moon (4) novel (1) own (1) refugees (2) science fiction (13) sf (2) teen (3) to-read (1) tweens (1) YA (6)

In Apollo’s Outcasts Allen Steele returns to an often used premise that our outer space colonies will be a safe haven from corrupt Earth governments. He used this idea as the launching point for his Coyote series and returns to it in this book.
In Apollo’s Outcasts America has come under the control of a corrupt Vice President. The she uses the resources of the government to go after her opponents. Fortunately for them they become aware of her plot. Unable to save themselves they none the less have the resources to save their kids by sending them to the moon. The book is the story of the children’s exile on the moon. Although the execution of premise is somewhat unbelievable, Allan needed more detail in his set up, the story moves along at a good pace. You get a feel of what life would be like living in a lunar colony. The characters and situations they find themselves in are compelling. The story ends well. The set up and conclusion are both well written and believable. While this story is not Allen Steele’s best work, it is worth reading. ( )
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
First, let me own up to the fact that I'm not a big sci-fi reader. [Except for space operas. LOVE those!] So my two star rating must be taken with a large grain a salt. I found myself reading this title as part of a teen literature review group. While my overall assessment is "ok," I'm glad I had the opportunity to try out this novel.

This story follows Jamey Barlowe - a teenage boy who has been crippled since childhood, the result of being born on the Moon but having to live on Earth. Things change for Jamey though when he is abruptly sent to the Moon with five other teens to escape a political uprising of a particular government official who is after power and prestige at any cost. Once they reach Apollo, a mining colony, the kids must learn a new way of life, and for Jamey this includes walking on his own two feet. He is a determined one and even joins the ranks of Lunar Search and Rescue, aka the Rangers. This move is just in time as the threat of military action against the Moon becomes a reality.

Divided into four sections, this coming-of-age, young adult sci-fi novel starts off rather slow. It took me forever to get into, but that's most likely because of all the scientific detail, which isn't my thing. I enjoy reading about relationships and human nature rather than spaceships and lunar processes. However, the plot picks up its pace in the second half of the story and quite a few interesting possibilities with other characters arise, making for a much more engaging read. [For myself, that is.] I did like how Jamey and several other characters were very dynamic - learning life's lessons and applying them to their uprooted lives.

Glad I read it, but also glad it's finished! Onward! ( )
  DeweyEver | Mar 5, 2014 |
On my sixteenth birthday, I went to the Moon.

Jamey Barlowe has been crippled since childhood, the result of being born on the Moon. He lives his life in a wheelchair, only truly free when he is in the water. But then Jamey's father sends him, along with five other kids, back to the Moon to escape a political coup d'état that has occurred overnight in the United States. Moreover, one of the other five refugees is more than she appears.

Their destination is the mining colony Apollo.

Jamey Barlowe has been crippled since childhood, the result of being born on the Moon. He lives his life in a wheelchair, only truly free when he is in the water. But then Jamey's father sends him, along with five other kids, back to the Moon to escape a political coup d'etat that has occurred overnight in the United States. Moreover, one of the other five refugees is more than she appears. Their destination is the mining colony Apollo. Jamey will have to learn a whole new way to live, one that entails walking for the first time in his life. It won't be easy and it won't be safe. But Jamey is determined to make it as a member of Lunar Search and Rescue, also known as the Rangers. This job is always risky but could be even more dangerous if the new US president makes good on her threat to launch a military invasion. Soon Jamey is front and center in a political and military struggle stretching from the Earth to the Moon.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,907,503 books! | Top bar: Always visible