Memoria. A Corporation of Lies by Alex Bobl

Memoria. A Corporation of Lies

by Alex Bobl

I got this book for free, from Making Connections,in exchange of an honest review. Get your copy here.

For some reason, I found it hard to read the first few pages of this book. I followed Frank’s journey from the airport, the phone call to Kathleen and his conversation with the cab driver, without much interest. Then he got to the apartment and bam! Everything changed. The story became a whirlwind and the action never stopped.
I also liked that the author didn’t try to force a romance on us-between Frank and Maggie. Frank liked her but that was it.
A few issues that I had:
I never connected with Frank– I liked Max and Barney much better than I liked the MC.
There wasn’t enough world building-the migrants were one topic that I would have loved to know more about.
  MiduHadi | Jul 5, 2015 |
Some interesting dystopian elements, excessive reliance IMHO on the main character's vet/ex-soldier aura, which may not work all that well for readers not overly sensitive to it. ( )
  Jarandel | Jun 24, 2014 |
Although this book is primarily a futuristic thriller set in a world where the perpetrator might not remember their actions, it also raises questions the question whether, if we are the product of our experiences, we remain us if we lose the bad memories.

Following a civil war the United States of America is divided into three classes: migrants, a necessary underclass formed of the losers and their families, veterans, respected but expected to retain their memories of war, and citizens, required by law to have their memories edited regularly to remove the psychological causes of crime. Frank Shelby, a lawyer working on negotiations with the migrant enclaves, returns home to find himself a murder suspect. With the Memoria Corporation scaling up to announce a new government supported program, he must avoid not only the police but those who would use him as a pawn in their attempts to advance or stop the initiative.

This novel owes much to noir fiction, both in style and plot arc. Depending on your opinion of the tropes of the genre you will either enjoy this as a vehicle for a good idea, or find it lacking in nuance and finesse. While Bobl might not be as insightful as Philip K Dick, his dystopia is solidly written and paced.

As befits a noir thriller, much of the characterisation is done using action rather than introspection, which does occasionally lead to Shelby acting before his motivation is made clear to the reader. However, the lack of long conversations works well against a backdrop of a broken and dangerous society.

Both the history of the world and the technology are also introduced in action. Although there are some speculations about what Memoria might be doing, characters talk and act as if the class structure and memory-removal are both just another part of life. This absence of facts does require the reader to piece some things together in the first few chapters, but also adds to the realism of the world and will protect the narrative from being overtaken by real world events.

Overall I enjoyed this book. I would recommend it to readers looking for an enjoyable science-fiction thriller.

I received a free copy of this book. ( )
  Tyrshundr | Feb 5, 2014 |
Fast paced, with lots of twists. An entertaining read. ( )
  Archivist13 | May 12, 2013 |
Memoria. A Corporation of Lies
By Alex Bobl

In futuristic New York City, Memoria Corporation offers a service that people cannot refuse erasing traumatic memories from a person’s mind. Frank Shelby comes home one day to find his girlfriend lying strangled in his bed leading him into the maze that is Memoria. He must infiltrate Memoria to clear his name and as he does so he soon stumbles onto something much more heinous.

I love dystopian novels so it would be hard to disappoint me when I pick one up. This one though, stands out amongst the rest not only is it an adult novel (most dystopian novels lately have been geared towards young adults) but it is also plausible. The citizens must wear electronic bracelets that track the persons movements, also people who were born after the great war must have their memories wiped every year by law, add in the big bad monster is a corporation you have an interesting take on what the future could be. I have to say that this novel reminded me a lot of 1984, though with a much better ending, so if you enjoyed that one you will most definitely like this one. All in all it’s a great read full of espionage and conspiracy and the best side of humanity’s survival instinct.

For More Reviews be sure to visit my blogs at:
http://bookwormrflects8.blogspot.com/ ( )
  BookWormRflects | Nov 11, 2012 |

In the bombed-out streets of New York, the corrupt bosses of Memoria Corporation make billions by erasing people's traumatic memories. But their bubble bursts when a humble citizen Frank Shelby becomes a murder suspect on the run. Betrayed by his friends and hunted down by mysterious killers, Frank has to penetrate Memoria and find evidence of their real plans before it's too late for all of us.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,076,887 books! | Top bar: Always visible