The Hit by David Baldacci

Oh, dear, Second Book Syndrome strikes again. I loved the first Will Robie novel, and rashly bought the next two books in the series - a year ago, and then forgot about them. Turns out I wasn't missing much. Instead of the Leon style relationship between Robie and Julie, we get a typical 'thriller' about a rogue assassin - female, natch, and Robie's equal, of course - and a plot to bring down the American government. I think. I started skipping through those chapters.

Jessica Reel, the hitwoman, is a walking cliche, a woman written by a man. She's a crack shot and feared by the Agency, hence why they bring in Robie to stop her, but being a female at heart, of course she is driven by emotions, whereas Robie is described as 'a machine'. Pfft. The early chapters are peppered with ridiculous lines like 'Robie versus Reel. Nice ring to it. It sounded like the fight of the century. And she was certain it would be', before descending into pages of tedium, with Robie meeting countless people to talk about how good Reel is. I was already bored senseless, and then the politics started.

I hope book three is an improvement, but I'm not rushing to find out. ( )
  AdonisGuilfoyle | Mar 24, 2019 |
Mediocre at best. The artificial suspense around revealing the main plot is clichéd and annoying. We get lines like, "'Let me explain, the plan goes like this…' She broke off. Suddenly they heard the bad guys approaching." Once would be enough, but we get these lines over and over. The scenes from the bad guys' point of view are pure padding, perhaps to cover up the lack of depth of the main characters. The ending—one last hit—is pointless and drawn out. Is it just there to hit a word count? I don't get it. ( )
  breic | Mar 23, 2019 |
Orders are orders, right? Or are they? What is Will Robie to do when he is sent after one of the agents whom he knows well as he has worked with her before. Jessica Reel’s skill set almost matches Robie’s, and he trained her too, so how can he carry out the order and come out alive? She is aware the agency will send the very best after her, but can she kill him, or will she hope he listens to her explanation and revelations?
Once again, the plot including the agency, White House and others builds. Who is the face behind the orders given that go against the very foundation of the government? There are those who desire to send America down the tubes and embroil her in an apocalyptic era. Now, how can Robie and Reel prevent what was set in motion years ago, or can they?
Who can they trust and how are they going to stay alive? What Reel reveals to Robie is the most astonishing plot. There are many enemies within and without America, but who can these two highly trained and specialized agents trust? There are some characters who are new and others who are, “eliminated”, shall we say?
There is so much more to the novel than I share here in my review. It is a very fun novel to read. If you choose to read it as a standalone, you will still enjoy it though I believe some of the characters and plot development will be like missing pieces of a puzzle. Either way enjoy the novel, and then get ready to read the third installment titled, The Target! ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Jan 10, 2019 |
Synopsis: There is another person who is as good as Robie and she's after folks on the 'good' side. However, as Robie looks at the situation more closely it becomes apparent that she is on the 'good' side. Blue Man seems to agree.
Review: This is the set up for Robie to have a love life. ( )
  DrLed | Oct 3, 2018 |
Fast moving
loud
current day — apocalypse plot in covert agency of killers — for good of USA
Hit Man + Woman pitted vs each other then unite — for traitor within —

Will Robie is a master of killing. A highly skilled assassin, Robie is the man the U.S. government calls on to eliminate the worst of the worst-enemies of the state, monsters committed to harming untold numbers of innocent victims. No one else can match Robie's talents as a hitman...no one, except Jessica Reel. A fellow assassin, equally professional and dangerous, Reel is every bit as lethal as Robie. And now, she's gone rogue, turning her gun sights on other members of their agency.
  christinejoseph | May 17, 2018 |
To the cast and crew of Wish You Well, thanks for an incredible ride
Feeling energized by the death that was about to happen, Doug Jacobs adjusted his headset and brightened his computer screen

Will Robie is a master of killing.

A highly skilled assassin, Robie is the man the U.S. government calls on to eliminate the worst of the worst--enemies of the state, monsters committed to harming untold numbers of innocent victims.

To stop one of their own, the government looks again to Will Robie. His mission: bring in Reel, dead or alive. Only a killer can catch another killer, they tell him.

But as Robie pursues Reel, he quickly finds that there is more to her betrayal than meets the eye. Her attacks on the agency conceal a larger threat, a threat that could send shockwaves through the U.S. government and around the world.

Skilled assassin Will Robie is asked by the U.S. government to track down fellow assassin Jessica Reel, who has gone rogue, but during his pursuit of Reel, Robie realizes that her betrayal may be concealing a larger threat that could impact the whole world.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,508,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible