Friday Brown by Vikki Wakefield

Friday Brown (2012)

by Vikki Wakefield

Could not get into this one; didn't finish
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
This was great! The writing is wonderful and the novel is inhabited by some of the most interesting characters I've ever encountered in a book - Friday is strong, but not immune to the horrible Arden's charms; Silence is sad and sweet - and the plot is exciting and unpredictable. Initially, I didn't want to pick this book up and that was because of the uninspiring cover, but, boy! I'm glad I did. One of my highlights for 2013. ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
I was reluctant to read this book, maybe because of the front cover, however, I am really glad I finally picked it up. It took me a while to engage with the story, but once it moved to the country it became extremely addictive. There are some quite shocking characters and events throughout the book, but these are balanced by Friday, who is a strong, compassionate character, and Silence, whom I absolutely adored. I just wanted to bundle him up and take him home.

"Friday Brown" is beautifully written, a credit to the author, and deals with some intense issues including homelessness, abuse, grief, loss, friendship and family. If nothing else, this book will make you appreciate all that you have and see those less fortunate in a more compassionate light. Highly recommended. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Vikki Wakefield’s novel All I Ever Wanted was the winner of the 2012 Adelaide festival literary awards for YA fiction. So I knew with Friday Brown I was in for a real treat. I wasn’t disappointed.

The Brown women were cursed. Going back generations they all died at an early age, on a Saturday, and all involving water. Vivienne would tell Friday that when she died the curse would move to her. Knowing this Friday wondered why her mother was always drawn to water. Every time they came across a river her mother would strip off and dive straight in. They lived a nomadic life moving from town to town. Friday loved this life, just the two of them. She grew up knowing love, peace and adventure. After her mothers death (another fatality of the Brown curse?) 17 year old Friday decided that she would start a new life on her own. She is soon befriended by a reticent and sombre boy named Silence and is taken back to a squat inhabited by homeless children, headed by the militant but charismatic, Arden. This is where Friday’s true struggles with her past and future, right and wrong begin. Friday knew that Arden’s control wasn’t a good thing but every time she tried to leave she was drawn back to her. However, when events started to spiral out of control Friday realised she would have to call on an inner strength she didn’t know she had to save herself and her friends.

Friday Brown is a riveting coming of age novel. Vikki Wakefield puts into words some of our deepest feelings and quite often you find yourself nodding as you read. I loved that Friday had only positive thoughts of her life with her mother. It must have truly been a hard life wandering from town to town with a mother that was a heavy drinker and quite often having to sneak out to avoid paying bills. Friday must have had to do the mothering on some occasions but we hear only of the freedom and the love they had. A beautiful story filled with heartache, hope, danger, suspense and a twist at the end you wont see coming. It will make you think and make you cry. Friday shows us how to be true to yourself and even if you are smaller and weaker than someone else you must always stand up for what you believe is right. ( )
  Ronnie293 | Aug 23, 2014 |
Weird, group of teenagers living in a squat, then go on a journey, they get flooded out....
  jennifermary | Oct 2, 2013 |

Friday Brown feels down / And then she befriends Silence / This book breaks your heart. #inagoodway

Seventeen-year-old Friday Brown is on the run - running to escape memories of her mother and of the family curse. And of a grandfather who'd like her to stay. She's lost, alone and afraid. Silence, a street kid, finds Friday and she joins him in a gang led by beautiful, charismatic Arden. When Silence is involved in a crime, the gang escapes to a ghost town in the outback. In Murungal Creek, the town of never leaving, Friday must face the ghosts of her past. She will learn that sometimes you have to stay to finish what you started - and often, before you can find out who you are, you have to become someone you were never meant to be.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,914 books! | Top bar: Always visible