Into That Forest by Louis Nowra

Into That Forest

by Louis Nowra

Oh my goodness this is amazing! I picked it up after seeing a David Hill review. He said 'I wish I had written this book.' I hunted it out in Wellington and I'm so glad I did. No more description - go find it! ( )
  BrydieWalkerBain | Apr 26, 2016 |
Two girls are adopted by Tazmanian tigers after the parents of one of them are killed in a boating accident. They slowly become feral losing their language and civilized habits. Eventually they are discovered by a bounty hunter who kills the male tiger. One girl's father joins the hunter to find the girls and return them to civilization with mixed results.

The Australian accent was definitely heard and added to the interest of this short but interesting story. I have to admit I'm glad it wasn't any longer. It was just the right length to tell the tale. ( )
  mamzel | Nov 22, 2015 |
This is one of those books that I will likely remember snippets of forever, but it was a strange book on so many levels. I enjoyed the book, it was interesting... however there were a lot of things I was not too fond of.

So the likes: this was an interesting story, girls living with tigers and how they adapt. I found it neat how they became so animalistic and how they learned to interact with the tigers.

My ehhhh moments: this book was so sad, everything about it was kind of depressing. First the girls experience a flood, then loss of family, then throughout the book there are other instances where I was gasping out of surprise and sadness at what happened. I even teared up a lot at the end.

My 'nope' moments: First thing, I think it is important to understand while reading this book, that they aren't tigers like we know tigers - they are Tasmanian tigers -- which are extinct... so I was super confused for a while about when this was taking place. I was also a little weirded out by Hannah in the beginning of her time with the tigers, she just all of a sudden is fine with eating a dead (not even plucked) non-cooked bird. Now I know that hunger does a lot of crazy things to a person but this seemed SO extreme given the timeline and I was a little put off by it.

Like I mentioned, I will remember this book for a long time... so it did have an impact, but not all good. ( )
  sszkutak | Jan 23, 2015 |
Intriguing, evocative young adult novel about feral children taken in by a Tasmanian tiger pair in the late 19th century, and told first person in an original but authentic first-person voice. For my full review please see Whispering Gums: http://whisperinggums.com/2013/05/30/louis-nowra-into-that-forest-review/ ( )
  minerva2607 | May 31, 2013 |
What a book. This was by far one of the most unusual books I have ever read. Louis Nowra certainly deserves his standing in the Australian literary landscape. I was completely drawn in to the world of Hannah and Rebecca - after a slow start. This book kind of creeps up on you like a stalking thylacine, and that is as it should be.

Hannah and Becky, awkward friends, lost and alone after a shipping accident, are washed up on a strange shore and are cared for by a family of Tasmanian Tigers, Dave and Corinna. The story of how they gradually become more tiger than human is a compelling one. They learn to talk without speaking, to hunt, to small fear, to experience life at its most visceral. Far removed from their former lives as human girls, they are happy animals for years, until the fat man Hannah remembers seeing near her home when she lived with her father is spotted in the forest. Hannah knows he kills tigers. A cat and mouse game ensues, with Ernie, the tiger hunter, and the girls circling around each other until, eventually, the girls are caught.

Becky's father, Mr Carson, has been searching for them all this time and now he wants to take them "home". Hannah discovers that whatever she knew as home is gone - her parents are dead. She knows she only has herself to rely on. What follows is a series of events that takes all of them to the very edge of sanity and back again. I will not issue spoilers here (not my policy), but the end is devastating. Despite that, I felt the ending was exactly should have happened and as a reader that is a prize beyond measure.

This is writing at its finest. Nowra paints a picture for all the senses - the smell of blood, the sense of it, the tingling in the bones that the girls experience is very effectively described. There is a real atmosphere to this book - first free and then terribly oppressed. It is unnerving, unsettling and makes you question exactly what is human? What is HUMANE?

I will remember this book for a long time. ( )
  sueo23 | Mar 26, 2013 |

Two girls survive a terrible flood in the Tasmanian bush and are rescued by a pair of Tasmanian tigers who raise them in the wild. Their story of survival is remarkable, as they adapt to the life of the tiger, learning to hunt and to communicate without the use of human language. When they are discovered and returned to civilization, neither can adapt to being fully human after their extraordinary experience.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,429,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible