Endurance by Ann Aguirre

Thank goodness some answers, in addition to Deuce's "Dream" to what happened to the Enclave after they left. Some answers to what became of her dearest friends. I'm so happy with this! I've not read the rest of the series as I like to go in chronological order, but I have a hope that somehow Thimble and Stone will end up crossing paths with Deuce again someday! And how freeing for them to not have to stay in their molds any longer, to be free (even in the horror that is their new world) to make their own choices. I loved it, and I loved that it was longer than the 0.5 novella. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Short story addition to Aguirre's Razorland Trilogy which takes place between Enclave and Outpost and reveals how Stone and Thimble escape the enclave after rebellion and freak attacks destroy everything. Having read the other books in the series I was expecting this story to follow Stone and Thimble all the way to their reunion with Deuce and Fade however it ends even before they reach the surface so my only complaint is that it was too short. Other than that this is an excellent series. I'm sad there's nothing left for me to read. ( )
  Meggle | May 1, 2014 |
With a lame foot, Thimble's prowess as a Builder earned her a place in the survivors' underground society, but she'd never dare to dream of being a partner to handsome Breeder Stone. For his part, Stone's still feeling guilty his actions condemed his best friend to outcast status - and he's having a hard time not favoring the child he knows is his among the pack of brats. When the cannibalistic horde attacks, the unlikely pair are forced into a partnership that will either see them throught to safety... or eaten.

My biggest complaint is that it's too short. ( )
  SunnySD | Oct 1, 2013 |
3.5 stars This is a nice peak into what is happening in the enclave after Deuce and Fade leave. The story is focused on the friends she left behind. ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
Every once in awhile you can find one of these extra 'shorts' or add ons that are really worth the money and the time involved to read them. I found this to be true of "Endurance". I wondered what happened to these characters when I read "Enclave". Stone was portrayed to be a not-the brightest crayon in the box hunk of a man used as a Breeder. He was strong and nice looking so therefore they valued him to make lots of strong babies. Thimble is a young lady with a lame foot who was almost cast out of the Enclave because she added no value to their little underground community. Both Thimble and Stone were dear friends of Deuce, the heroine of "Enclave" and "Outpost". They are left in a scary situation when Deuce leaves the enclave in the first novel, but we, like Deuce, don't really know what becomes of them. This book fills it in. And let me tell you what happens is seriously horrible. Horrible, but in a way that I couldn't stop turning the pages. This is a full story and the reader is certainly not being cheated at the current .99 cent asking price. I absolutely adored Stone and Thimble. I think I like them better as characters than I did Deuce. I don't want to give anything away but this is a nice, heart tugging story and I hope that we get to see more of Stone and Thimble in the next full books. ( )
  pacey1927 | Feb 26, 2013 |
The enclave was quiet the day normalcy died.

When rebellion destroys the underground world in which Thimble and Stone have grown up, they take Stone's son and try to escape the chaos. Along the way, they must evade the Freaks, beings who feed on human flesh. Leaving behind the roles of Builder and Breeder which they were assigned at birth, they wander the underground tunnels, looking for safety yet afraid to go "topside" where legend has it that the light and water will burn their skin from their bones. Their journey takes them upward to an unimagined world of tinned food, comfortable furniture, and books. Away from their regimented society for the first time, and still facing imminent danger, Thimble and Stone acknowledge the forbidden attraction which both have denied for years.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,021,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible