The Empire's Corps by Christopher…

The Empire's Corps

by Christopher Nuttall

As usual a book from Christopher Nuttall does not disappoint. At least not for me but then tastes are different of course. I have read several books from Mr. Nuttall now and I though that I should finally dig into this series which, with 8 book at the writing of this, is the longest series yet by this author.

Normally I am a wee bit hesitant when it comes to these marine focused stories. They are not my favorite genre. I prefer science fiction that focuses on starships and combat between ships. However, since I have liked so many other books from Mr. Nuttall I decided to have a go at this one anyway.

It is a good book and I liked it better than I thought I would do. The background story is a rather depressing one with the empire dying due to political shortsightedness, incompetence and rampaging corruption. As the blurb states our heroes made the mistake of speaking the truth and quickly got exiled to a world on the rim of the empire.

As far as I am concerned this is a good thing. It allows Captain Stalker and his men to escape the worst of the corruption. Not only that but on the world of Avalon him and his men can actually make a difference. The characters are as well done and enjoyable to read about as usual by Mr. Nuttall. There are of course plenty of marine action in the book. Given the name of the book this should not come as a surprise.

As usual the first book in a series is a bit of a stage setter but although the book does indeed set the stage for future books it holds it own as a free-standing book. It does not take forever to get into the story and the book have a good ending without an annoying cliffhanger.

This is definitely yet another series that I will continue to read.
  perjonsson | Oct 28, 2017 |
My full The Empire's Corps audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

The Empire's Corps starts off with a good description of the enormity or the empire. Including the intricacies of the political scene that seem enormous. Imagine here on Earth living on a city block that houses 20,000,000 residents, I can't even fathom.

Christopher G. Nuttall has created not only an interesting world but an entire universe full of planets inhabited by humans. With hundreds of planetary cultures I can only imagine were this series will go.

This audiobook is heavy on the dialog, as there are a lot of political/military discussions. There were several spots where I thought I was having déjà vu as there were discussions and planing with some of the higher ups, then felt like the same discussion happened with the grunts. Because of this I found my mind wondering, rewinding, more wondering, until I finally heard what was happening.

Our Marines that were sent to a distant plant after their commander spoke the truth to those he shouldn't. Quickly find themselves in the middle of corruption all around them. They must find to stay alive.

For fans of military science fiction The Empire's Corps is a no brainer. Full of the political and military intrigue that would would expect. With a plethora of characters, you will be sure to find one that you can relate to.

Jeffery Kafer delivers a solid unwavering performance. I haven't listened to him much, but he seems to excel with the no nonsense even keel military dialog. Easily quickening the pace for the many action sequences.

Audiobook provided for review by the publisher. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Jul 18, 2014 |
Information from the Piratical Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.

You Should Never Speak Truth To Power…

The Galactic Empire is dying and chaos and anarchy are breaking out everywhere. After a disastrous mission against terrorists on Earth itself, Captain Edward Stalker of the Terran Marine Corps makes the mistake of speaking truth to power, telling one of the most powerful men in the Empire a few home truths. As a result, Captain Stalker and his men are unceremoniously exiled to Avalon, a world right on the Rim of the Empire. It should have been an easy posting…

Well, apart from the bandits infesting the countryside, an insurgency that threatens to topple the Empire’s loose control over Avalon, and a corrupt civil government more interested in what it can extort from the population than fighting a war. The Marines rapidly find themselves caught up in a whirlwind of political and economic chaos, fighting to preserve Avalon before the competing factions tear the world apart. They’re Marines; if anyone can do it, they can.

The battle to save the Empire starts here.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,587,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible