Not Afraid to Be Real: A Poetry Collection…

Not Afraid to Be Real: A Poetry Collection

by Maranda Russell

322,001,085 (4)None
Recently added byMFielad, drmom62, KatherineBoyer

Maranda Russel has a gift for stating an emotional premise and leading the reader, verse by verse, to the concise emotional conclusion, and the subjects of these poems -- from everyday struggles to love to death -- will surely speak to teens and adults alike. Russell's straightforward style make these poems easy to understand. I heartily recommend this fine collection. ( )
  MFielad | Oct 29, 2016 |
Not Afraid to Be Real ~ A Poetry Collection by Maranda Russell is a poetic chronology of the author’s reflection on the different stages of life. She starts with love and daily living, and progresses through death and grief, before she emerges with hope and inspiration. She writes with an insight on life that many of us may not have considered. Then she adds a short chapter of miscellaneous poems that she describes as “funny, random or just plain weird”.
When I first started reading Ms. Russell’s poems, I thought, “How dark and gloomy.” I was right about the first poems because she was writing about topics that should be cheerful and positive, including several of the ones about love, but I decided that Ms. Russell was writing about a subject that she could see as dark or positive. In her introduction, she declares that she writes for teens and young adults because they ““get” what I am trying to say”. They do reflect the angst of the age group.

“I was never content
to catch the lightning bugs
and watch them glow
behind the glass;
I smashed them on the asphalt
and drew patterns
that shined briefly,
then faded away forever.”

When I got to the later poems, the mood changed. By the time I got to the end, I found I was enjoying her take on life. Her poems become more positive and upbeat as she came to the end of the book.

I know I can be anything,
I know I will succeed.
Though doubt may spring up in my heart,
it’s hope I choose to feed.

All ages will find something they can identify with in this small book of poems. Teens and young adults will relate to their current challenges. Older people will reflect back to what they felt at an earlier time and place.
Maranda Russell is a foster parent, children’s author, poet and cat lover who currently lives in Dayton, Ohio. She enjoys art, photography, anime, reading, writing, dancing, hiking, spending time with her family and rescuing stray animals ( )
  KatherineBoyer | Aug 8, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,809,483 books! | Top bar: Always visible