The Red Pole of Macau (Ava Lee - book 4) by…

The Red Pole of Macau (Ava Lee - book 4) (edition 2012)

by Ian Hamilton

Series: Ava Lee (4)

Member:LongDogMom
Title:The Red Pole of Macau (Ava Lee - book 4)
Authors:Ian Hamilton
Info:Spiderline (2012), Paperback, 326 pages
Collections:Your library, Cozy Mystery, THRILLER, Favorites, Read but unowned
Tags:November 2012, forensic accountant, mystery thriller, Ava Lee series, Chinese culture

The Red Pole of Macau by Ian Hamilton

I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
This was a wonderful escapist thrill read! I so enjoy the intelligent competent Ava Lee who gives an exciting twist to being a forensic accountant. Her job is to recover missing money and valuable possessions in touchy delicate situations often with unsavory persons. In this book, she takes on an assignment that is personal and while Ava is razor-sharp as always, she needs to delicately balance her family dynamics against what is necessary to save her half-brother’s business and his partners life. This storyline allow us to see a more vulnerable Ava and she learns some valuable business lessons. This story unfolds in Hong Kong and Macau, the landscape, culture, business protocols and of course the food reveal the multi-faceted complexities that will challenge Ava in her latest adventure.
This is the perfect book for putting the stress of everyday life aside and immersing yourself in a world of mesmerizing secrets, intrigue and risky ventures. I look forward to reading the next Ava Lee adventure. ( )
  bookmuse56 | Feb 28, 2014 |
Book 4, in the Ava Lee series

This series is a light read, mostly fast paced, quite entertaining and never fails to arouse my interest. Ava, the heroine is finely drawn and so different to the usual protagonist I simply cannot stay away and I am always looking forward to read all of her next challenges and see how she will tackle them. It has been entertaining so far….

The protagonist is a very kick butt and in charge type of character although she does show a vulnerable and soft side when it comes to her love ones. In this mystery Ava finds herself with unexpected family commitments and needs all her skills to assist he brother, Michael, out of a real-estate deal that went terribly wrong. Of course we are in for a fascinating international excursion that takes us from Toronto to Hong Kong and Macau.

Michael and his friend Simon have sunk over $20 million into a Macau shopping center project that turned out to be a scam and the developers are now using strong- arm tactics to extract more investments from them. The Lee’s financial security is at risk and went Simon gets kidnapped Ava springs into action like a ninja meticulously planning a rescue operation and with the help of Uncle’s shadow network, Simon and the money should make it home…..

There is a lot of suspense but it is somewhat diluted with too much description of cuisine and the way the players are dressed. May Lyn, a character in the previous book returns and gives a helping hand although she comes out totally as a nondescript individual…the plot is totally unbelievable but it is rather what makes this series what it is.

It is easy to zip through “The Red Pole of Macau” in just a few hours after all it is not a thick book. The story is good enough although not one that grabbed me and held my attention the way the others did. To my eyes the old formula is getting stale and too predictable it is time to give it a boost. ( )
  Tigerpaw70 | Nov 26, 2013 |
Quite violent but not gratuitously so. I enjoyed this entry in the series more so than the last. ( )
  Rayaowen | Jul 8, 2013 |
I just don't see the point of this book. It would make a good half-hour TV show, maybe. There is nothing to the plot, really, and the characters are just as they are. Our small statured heroine, a master of deadly martial arts, has only to recover something like $20 million of her rather stupid brother's money in order to save face for the entire family, so she bravely faces incredibly powerful and merciless men in Macau. Of course she wins.
Oops, that may be a spoiler, but obvious. Saving graces are some atmospheric meals and an interesting extended family situation. ( )
  loosha | Feb 25, 2013 |
Ava Lee, the Toronto-based, globe-trotting forensic accountant, trots only to Hong Kong in her latest adventure and handles no accounting, forensic or otherwise. It’s a change of pace for our girl in her fourth book. This time, all she needs to do is recover the 20 million bucks that villains have conned out of her Hong Kong half brother.

Hamilton’s straightforward plotting here is not unlike something from one of the late Robert B. Parker’s Spenser books. As with Spenser, Ava rounds up a crew of ace shooters and musclemen to take on the bad guys in a showdown of strategy and muscle. Hamilton lacks Parker’s élan and sense of humour, but he’s just about as confident in handling the suspenseful side of the confrontation.
added by VivienneR | editThe Toronto Star, Jack Batten (Jan 21, 2013)

In Ian Hamilton's The Red Pole of Macau, family ties are stressed to the limit when intrepid forensic accountant Ava Lee must rescue her half brother, Michael, and his business partner, Simon, from a disastrous multimillion-dollar real-estate deal in Macau. When the developers turn out to be gangsters, Michael and Simon are threatened with bankruptcy and much worse. Ava struggles to salvage the deal and her family's money, but then Simon is kidnapped, and the rules of the game abruptly change.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,628,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible