The World as I Found It by Bruce Duffy

The World as I Found It (1987)

by Bruce Duffy

English (5)  Dutch (1)  All languages (6)
fictionalized lives of Wittgenstein and Russell
  FKarr | May 3, 2015 |
a very good bio novel about wittgenstein-a very strange and trouble man, brillent but stange ( )
  michaelbartley | Nov 6, 2010 |
It's not biography, but because it is very well researched, there's the thrill of just what is exactly true an where the fiction starts. It gets you real 'up close and personal' to a few very great but weird minds of the 20th century. Where Wittgenstein is mostly dark and tragic, tense and lonely, Russel is depicted in a sometimes quite hilarious way, adding a lighter note to the book. After reading, one thing is clear: even the great minds are just people. ( )
2 vote freetrader | Feb 9, 2009 |
I just love this book like the good friend it is. "At the end of a life people assign it a weight or a general trend, a moral trajectory. They ask whether it was sad or happy, failed or successful, asking this as if there can be some consensus after the self as remembered is safely consigned to the common estate of history, which is ultimately everybody's destiny and therefore everybody's business. Like a willing weather, the spirit moves through time, and against its time. Thus the spirit is dry when all outside is wet, cold when all is hot and confused while all others are certain. The spirit wonders at this difference, while those outside see the spirit coming in the guise of a man and try to form an opinion of what the weather must be like inside, some saying calm, others saying stormy, and still others saying it is an impertinence to ask and better not to know, though in fact nobody really does. Just before he died, Wittgenstein said to Mrs. Bevans, Tell everyone that I've had a wonderful life. Of course, it wasn't like him to exaggerate, and his friends found it troubling that he would say this. To them, Wittgenstein's life seemed many things, but not wonderful, and in the end they did not know if he had merely been trying to put them at ease of if in fact he had found his troubled life wonderful. But this, in any case, is what he said."
1 vote bobshackleton | Mar 22, 2008 |
History,Biography and Philosophy.The centre is Wittgenstein and his friends free- thinker Russel and Moore,a great Cambridge don.All involved in the history of WWI & WWII.
Great characterizations of the sciety at that time. ( )
2 vote rudik5834 | Apr 25, 2007 |
If I wrote a book called The World as I Found It, I should have to include a report on my body, and should have to say which parts were subordinate to my will, and which were not, etc., this being a method of isolating the subject, or rather of showing that in an important sense there is no subject; for it alone could not be mentioned in that book.—

—Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus [5.631]
For Marianne
The philosopher loved the flicks, periodically needing to empty himself in that laving river of light in which he could openly gape and forget.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0899198082, Paperback)

One of the most talked-about bestsellers of the year is now available in paperback. "A most unusual, even preposterous venture: a novel constructed out of the lives, the thoughts, the appetites, the egos, the very toenails and pocket watches of the philosophers Ludwig Wittgenstein, Bertrand Russell, and G.E. Moore."--Los Angeles Times.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:19 -0400)

The World As I Found It centers around Ludwig Wittgenstein, one of the most powerfully magnetic philosophers of our time--brilliant, tortured, mercurial, forging his own solitary path while leaving a permanent mark on all around him.

NYRB Classics

An edition of this book was published by NYRB Classics.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,413,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible