Inertia (Impulse, #1) by Amelia C. Gormley

Inertia (Impulse, #1)

by Amelia C. Gormley

305367,255 (3)None

The novel, Inertia, by Amelia C. Gormley was supplied for review by the author. While it should be obvious to say, this is a honest review and I was not influenced by any action of the author.

Inertia is the first novel by Amelia C. Gormley in which I have read. There is always a level of excitement when I discover a new author; I never know what the writing quality and style will be. In this case, I was very pleased with the results.

Basic Plot:

Derrick Chance is a handy man whose life is in a rut after a period of caring for his ailing family members. Now on his own, Derrick focuses on his growing business. After taking a job, Derrick finds his new customer, Gavin attractive and marvels at his flirtation. But there seems to be a shadow surrounding Gavin and Derrick wonders if the man is serious regarding his intentions. As their relationship unfolds, can their differences be overcome and a relationship built?

This was the first book that I read by Amelia Gormley, but certainly it will not be the last. The story was relationship focused, so no big action scenes. The suspense came as we discover the secrets of Gavin and then the blossoming relationship. I debated on if I should give this a 4 or 5 star review. It is very hard for me to give a book a 5 star, usually there is something that I find distracting. But in Inertia, I found nothing that I would have improved. It was a simple love story with a complex relationship.

If you are looking for a story that has heart, heat, and humor then try Inertia by Amelia Gormley. I have put this author on my auto-buy list and can’t wait to read the next book in the series, Acceleration.

Full review on my blog! ( )
  Bea_writer | Sep 21, 2013 |
Instead of a slow burn, the build up was just dull. DNF. ( )
  jules0623 | Mar 31, 2013 |
This earns itself the full marks not just for the lovely writing and enchanting characters, but also for its considerable amount of grit, daring and pluck with regard to its realistic treatment of one of the two characters reacting to a major HIV-scare. No heroic nonsense, no, Gormley dares write people just like they would react in real life.

I loved this and will read the sequel! Recommended for all who like a realistic take on things. ( )
  Steelwhisper | Mar 31, 2013 |
Instead of a slow burn, the build up was just dull. DNF. ( )
  jules0623 | Mar 29, 2013 |
It’s true than more than a book in a series, this is a first part of a serial, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that, while the story between Derrick and Gavin is far from being complete, in book 1 we have a good development of their relationship, and in the end, you would probably consider to read book 2 but nevertheless you have an idea of them as a couple and of their previous life.

Derrick is practically a virgin to love: he had one girlfriend, from 14 to 21 years old and then, once she broke with him, he remained alone. While he was still with his girlfriend, Derrick was honest enough, with her and with himself, to admit he was attracted by men, but when he had the chance to experiment on that attraction, he decided the “scene” was not “his” scene. And so here we are, 10 years later, with a Derrick that is almost a monk, living a life of work and home, home and work, and only his dog as constant companionship.

Then he meets Gavin, who is unashamedly flirting, finding always a new reason for Derrick, and handyman, to come and repair something, when what he should really consider to repair is Gavin’s heart. Just out from an abusive relationship, I don’t exclude Derrick is a bit of a rebound lover for him, or at least that is what he was at first. I think Gavin was so pushing since he was thinking to have something uncomplicated, something easy and fast to forget his ex. But when he realized that Derrick is indeed as fragile as him, Gavin changes attitude.

There is a definitive turn in the story, more or less 2/3; in a way I think that is the time when the author is preparing the reader to the next book; this current one is “Inertia”, and I think she is referring to both Derrick’s life than Gavin’s bad decision regarding his ex; the following one will be “Acceleration” and that is what I experienced in the novel, a strong acceleration in the pacing. Acceleration that was also reflected in their physical relationship, sex seemed like a fuel for them.

This is an interesting debut, the plot, while not “wide” was well planned and the two main characters, despite being ordinary men, sounded original and true.

elisa.rolle | Mar 13, 2013 |
added by gsc55 | editOn Top Down Under, Kazza K (Jun 2, 2013)

Amelia C. Gormley is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,311,808 books! | Top bar: Always visible