Striking Distance (An I-Team Novel) by…

Striking Distance (An I-Team Novel)

by Pamela Clare

Series: I-Team (6)

You’re at the top of your game. You have a prestigious position of reporting from locations all around the world trying to bring awareness to the injustices that go on. You’ve just met a man who gives you the best sex of your life in a place where unmarried sex is illegal. Things just couldn’t be better for reporter Laura Nilsson. Then her security and camera crew are slaughtered on live TV and she is taken by a terrorist to live a life of hell for almost 2 years.

The man that had that weekend of wild sex with Laura in Dubai has never forgotten her nor the feeling of helplessness when she was taken on live TV. Navy Seal Javier Corbray has waited to finally get the chance to bring down the man who killed Laura. When that mission finally comes up he leads the team that goes in to bring the terrorist to justice. What he doesn’t expect to find is Laura still alive and running for the HELO screaming.

This book is a no holds bar look at the atrocities that are being committed in the name of Al Qaeda and how that is spilling over into the United States. Laura’s time with the Al Qaeda terrorist has left her horribly scared on the inside. Two years after her ordeal testifying at his trial her nightmare starts all over again when he puts a terrorist hit on her head. Javier was helpless the first time but this time he is going to do everything in his power to protect Laura.

This is a very powerful book. The subject matter and the pain that Laura and Javier go through is so heartbreaking. As I was reading this book I could feel where the author poured her own experiences and culture into the pages. This is writing at its finest and I think it’s her best work to date.
  CindySnS | Oct 26, 2016 |
Loved this one --- the time lapse was different and I had always hoped they might have children but more important they had the love of each other and the child that was already so much a part of their lives...
Great job Pamela!! ( )
  phtochic | Aug 15, 2016 |
Pamela Clare is the queen of romantic suspense. I forgot how much I love this series, and I have been hoarding this book for a while, saving it for a reading slump. Luckily I started reading it at home, because I was a watering pot before I even finished the prologue. I recommend that you read [b:First Strike|18301112|First Strike (I-Team, #5.9)|Pamela Clare|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1377837919s/18301112.jpg|25789221] before starting [b:Striking Distance|15704285|Striking Distance (I-Team, #6)|Pamela Clare|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1377922534s/15704285.jpg|21366184], as it gives the short story of how Laura and Javier met over a weekend in Dubai. I think knowing their origins gave more depth to the story and made it all the more emotional knowing what Laura went through.

Our heroine, Laura Nilsson, was an investigative reporter covering dangerous human interest stories in the Middle East. During a live news report, she is kidnapped by a group of Al Qaeda, which is followed by 18 months of hell for Laura. Laura was a strong female character whose courage and perseverance were inspiring.

Our hero, Javier, a Navy SEAL, is devastated when he sees Laura's abduction live on the air, and later learns that Al Nassar said he killed her. Javier has vowed to take down Al Nassar, even though his commanders don't know his connection to Laura. That vow was how Javier came to be on the team that infiltrated Al Nassar's camp to capture the terrorist leader, and discovered that Laura was alive. Javier's rescue of Laura triggers a series of events that eventually bring them back together, even though they are not the same people who spent that amazing first weekend in Dubai. Javier is the typical hero that we have seen in the I-Team novels - strong, capable and protective of their women. I loved Javier and the way he helped Laura get over the things that happened to her in captivity.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves a steamy romance with a good dose of danger and suspense. Keep your tissues handy, because this one is a tearjerker. 4 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Overall I thought this was a good book. However it's not my thing. There is a HEA but I want a good huge HEA not a realistic one. ( )
  msphotogirl | Oct 19, 2015 |
As anyone can tell from my list of recent reads, I love romance novels. It's pretty much all I read these days. And I don't care how unrealistic they may be, I love every well-written HEA, love-at-first-sight, true-love, etc. story I can get. What set Striking Distance apart was the depth and maturity of the relationship between Laura and Javier. I seem to remember seeing a quote from the author somewhere that she wrote two pages for every page that actually made it into the book. Perhaps that's the reason that this one seems so much more layered than many novels I've read recently (including the rest of the I-Team novels which are already some of the best out there), or maybe it's just that there's so much more knowledge of the supporting characters six+ books into the series. (Lordy, how I love seeing them in each progressive book.) Even the epilogue stood apart from others in that it brings us much further into the future than usual, adding to the depth of the characters' relationship. Whatever the case, I think this was one of, if not *the* best in the series. (And having "First Strike" out there as an extra was just icing on the cake. It was both nice and sad to see both characters in a much lighter time but what it really did was add that foundation for everything that comes afterwards.) Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys romantic suspense. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Sep 20, 2014 |

Pamela Clareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rey, María José LosadaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

TV reporter Laura Nilsson, known as the "Baghdad Babe," spent eighteen months in an Al-Qaeda compound after being kidnapped live on the air. Two years later, she's still wondering why. No mission in Javier Corbray's fourteen years as a Navy SEAL affected him the way Laura's rescue did. No woman had stirred his protective instincts the way she did. And he wants her more than he's ever wanted anyone. As Laura and Javier's passion ignites, so does Laura's need to discover the mystery of her past. Especially when she learns that her abduction was not random and that she's still a target for a killer with an impenetrable motive. Now Javier will have to rely on his skills to keep the woman he loves from being struck down before she dares uncover the truth.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible