Glamorous Glasses by Barbara Johansen Newman

Glamorous Glasses

by Barbara Johansen Newman

447262,368 (4)None

“Glamorous Glasses” is definitely a book I would recommend to a child who needs glasses but doesn’t feel comfortable wearing them. This book shows how being different isn’t so bad, especially when wearing glasses is vital to your vision. Being that I wear glasses, I thought this book was adorable and makes wearing glasses seem “glamorous”! Barbara does a great job of pointing out how going from not wearing glasses to wearing them daily can be difficult for a young child to adjust to. I loved the illustrations in this picture book. The pages were heavily detailed, even the words on the shopping bags were detailed. ( )
  cchaney | Mar 9, 2016 |
Glamorous Glasses is about two cousins, one has to get glasses and the other one doesn't. Bobbie goes shopping with her cousin Joanie for glasses and think they are all amazing and glamorous. The glasses are so glamorous, she insists that she needs them. However, her mother tells her otherwise. Soon Bobbie sees everyone with glasses so she decides to miss the ball in gym, pretend she can't see the board, and trip over kids in hopes she will get glasses. When she goes to the eye doctor, her doctor tells her she has perfect vision. Bobbie is sad. Once again they go shopping and Bobbie and Tessie have an idea. Bobbie will wear Tessie's glasses and Tessie will carry Bobbie's new pocketbook. They will do this at the candy shop so their mothers don't see. Their plan fails because neither can see now that one has glasses that are blurry and the other has no glasses. They even pick out the wrong candy at the candy store because they can't see. In the end, Bobbie's mom got her fake glasses at the garage sale. She finally has her own pair of glamorous glasses. I loved this book so much because it remind me of myself. When I was younger, my sister got these really cool glasses and I was jealous. I did the same thing as Bobbie and purposely acted like I couldn't see at school. I also went to the eye doctors, but I still acted like I couldn't see and got glasses. I ended up not wearing them much and acted like my eyes were healed. It is a funny story to tell now, but was not a good idea. So I was laughing while I read this book because I related to it so much. I also find it funny how Tessie didn't want the glasses she needed, but Bobbie thought they were glamorous and needed them. That was exactly how it was with me and my sister. The illustrations in this book were great. They were colorful and told the story. I would recommend this book cute and fun to all children. ( )
  mamontgomery | Mar 7, 2016 |
Barbara Newman did a great job with this book. I really enjoyed reading this book because I felt like I could relate, the way I am sure many other people would relate. When I was younger, I remember kids wanting glasses when they didn't need them just because they were cool. Bobbie sees that her cousin is getting glasses, so she wants a pair of "glamorous" glasses herself. An adorable book to share with any kid that we know uses glasses, or needs glasses and might be a little hesitant or embarrassed to get. ( )
  K_Rodriguez | Nov 16, 2014 |
This book could be used as a fantastic tool for a young child who has just gotten glasses! Having gotten glasses at a very young age, I understand the feeling of not wanting to wear glasses when no one else has to. This book puts glasses into such a glamorous light, and teaches the importance of being yourself. It is much better to be able to see where you are going than to not wear glasses! ( )
  awoodham93 | Apr 25, 2013 |
Great for a lesson on excepting your differences and being proud of them. Especially good for students that you know need glasses. ( )
  Lukesilvera | Apr 24, 2013 |
Cousins Joanie and Bobbie and their moms are best friends. When Joanie has to get glasses, Bobbie discovers a new passion for glasses. Although she doesn’t need them, Bobbie wants to wear glasses. Joanie does not want to wear her glasses. On a shopping trip, the girls decide to trade places. Joanie takes off her glasses and lets Bobbie wear them, resulting in some unpleasant and slightly dangerous situations such as bumping into people and tripping. Finally, they return to their normal eyewear (or lack thereof) and learn their lesson. Very colorful and highly detailed illustrations by the author have an appealing cartoon appearance. These characters would be fun to see on television. The story focuses on girls and women, but the message will still be clear to boys. Teachers or librarians can pair this book with a craft for students to design their own eyeglasses or sunglasses. The Glamorous Glasses website (glamourousglasses.com) has a page to design them online and do other activities. This is a positive and fun book with likeable artwork. Recommended for schools, libraries, homes, and eye doctors’ waiting rooms.
added by TamaraConley | editCatholic Library World, Tamara Conley

After helping her cousin Joanie find glasses, Bobbie convinces Joanie to let her wear them while they go to Sophie's Sweet Shoppe.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,137,110 books! | Top bar: Always visible