Daughter of the Spellcaster by Maggie Shayne

3 ½ Stars ( )
  BookaholicCat | Mar 4, 2015 |
Daughter of the Spellcaster by Maggie Shayne
4 STARS

Daughter of the Spellcaster is the second book of The Portal series. Thier is three books to the series. Blood of the Sorceress the final book will be out in Feb. 2013.
I enjoyed book two a lot more than the first book and can't wait to see what happens next.
In Daughter of the Spellcaster it is easier to follow, but the suspense is good right up till the climax. You are never quite sure who is the good or bad characters. Who the ghost is. Will she have a girl or a boy?
In the beginning Bahru delivers a package to Lena and let her know her former client had died. He wanted her to have the package in private but do come to the reading of the will.
Magdalena Dunkirk is almost 9 months pregnant and she has not told the father yet. Now Ernst is dead and he is the grandfather to her child. Magdalena is a practicing witch and Ryan did not believe in it. She left him when she was going to tell him but brought about it in around way. Saying a friend was pregnant and had not told the father.
Ryan McNally is rich but his father is even richer. Everyone thinks Ryan is a playboy because thats what he wants them to think. His mom died when he was 11 and his dad pulled away. He was close to Lena and even thinking of marriage when she just left him. Ryan does not trust Bahru he thinks he is conning his father.
Ryan is shocked when he sees Lena at the funeral. Even more shocked when he realizes she is really rich.
Ryan inheirits most of his fathers possesions. Lena finds out that Ernst is the one she bought the old winery from and it is now paid in full. Her baby will recieve 10,000.00 when she thinks the baby is ready. She can't touch the princable but can use the interest in anyways she wants too. Bahru gets to live in the guest house of the winery for life if he wants.
Lena is seeing people with red eyes at different times. Then others see it to but think its trick of sun.
Lena dreams that Ryan is going to kill her and take her baby and discribes the knife.
Ryan follows Lena back to the winery and he can't tell her that he just inheirited that knife and it has powers.
No one knows who to trust when weird things are happening around the area they live. Lena dreams she has lived in another time and flashes back to it.
Lots of secrets, and trust issues to work out. Good drama,plot and characters.
I was given this ebook to read for free in exchange of honest review from Netgalley.
Publisher: Harlequin MIRA (November 13, 2012) 368 pages ( )
  rhonda1111 | Nov 14, 2012 |
Maggie has done it again! Daughter of the Spellcaster was a great book that follows in the footsteps of Mark of the Witch to perfection. I had the pleasure of reading this e-arc from Netgalley and it doesn't disappoint in the least. This is the story of Magdalena or "Lena" who is one of 3 sisters from a past life in Babylon and her love Ryan. There was a good amount of mystery, suspense and romance all throughout the book. Its not one of those books that is full of sex so if that is what you are looking for than this probably isn't for you. I didn't think the story lacked because of it in the least. This book just makes me anxious for January to come so that I can read the final book in this series. I can't wait to see what Maggie has in store for the conclusion. I have been a reader of Maggie Shayne for too many years to count and she has never failed to disappoint.
  mary.nicholstibbitts | Nov 12, 2012 |
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:

*eARC received from NetGalley.

If you follow my reviews, you know that I'm a huge Maggie Shayne fan. I love her writing, I love her worlds, I love her characters... This book most certainly did not disappoint. In fact, my exact words upon finishing the book were: "Unbelievably, amazingly, fantastically good!! Writing a review to do this justice may prove to be difficult. I simply loved it."

Even with that said though, let's try...

Daughter of the Spellcaster was a beautifully written Paranormal Romance full of hope, magick, intrigue and heart.

Lena and her mother are witches living in a tiny town in NY and getting ready to welcome their new addition - Lena's daughter, Selma's granddaughter - into the world. When Lena hears that a close acquaintance from years ago has died and left something to her in his will, she must leave the security of Havenwood to go to the memorial.

Ryan is a high society playboy who has just lost his father whom he's felt abandoned by pretty much his whole life. When the death brings his old girlfriend Lena back into his life with a bit of a surprise, he begins to rethink his priorities and his future.

The two embark on a journey to find answers to Ryan's father's lifetime quest while learning more about each other along the way. After so many years and so many misunderstandings though, trust is a bit hard to come by, not to mention the fact that there are dark forces at work undermining their growth each step of the way.

Maggie introduced some very 'human' characters in this installment of the Portal series. I loved everything about them and adored the way that Maggie painted the story with words, providing a vivid canvas of a tale that I won't easily forget.

I also adored how she tied together books #1 and #2 of the series and paved the way for book #3 in January; it was genius.

LITERAL ADDICTION gives Daughter of the Spellcaster a well deserved 5 Skulls. The Portal series has easily become one of my very favorite series out there, though that doesn't surprise me given the author. :) I simply cannot wait for book #3 to become available. ( )
  LITERALADDICTION | Oct 16, 2012 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778313808, Mass Market Paperback)

Anything for their child

Lena Dunkirk is a practicing witch, Ryan McNally a wealthy playboy. Logic says mismatch, yet from the first they share a passion that defies reason, as if they know each other from another place, another time. Then Lena gets pregnant and runs for the safety of home.

Months later, when Ryan appears at her door looking to help raise their child, Lena doesn't know whom to trust—particularly now that "guru to the stars" Bahru has taken an interest in her baby, offering gifts forged of magic.

Soon she and Ryan are sharing eerie dreams of ancient lands, while a vengeful demon plots to take possession of their child. As the moment of birth approaches, the demon's power rises, forcing the hand of love to wield the blade that will decide the fate of a child's soul—and the future of the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:23:01 -0400)

Witch Lena Dunkirk and playboy Ryan McNally struggle to foil a demonic plot to take possession of their unborn child, a situation that forces them to make a decision that will decide the fate of the baby's soul--and of the world.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,110,120 books! | Top bar: Always visible