Perdido Street Station by China Miéville

Perdido Street Station (2000)

by China Miéville

Series: Bas-Lag (1), New Crobuzon (1)

6,650204565 (4.07)580
    City of Saints and Madmen by Jeff VanderMeer (bertilak)
    Embassytown by China Miéville (mclewe)
    mclewe: For Miéville's ability to create a complete world, incomprehensible, fascinating, intelligent.
    Iron Council by China Miéville (kaipakartik)
    kaipakartik: Same universe, a lot of the same creatures. Brilliantly done as well
    The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi (souloftherose)
    souloftherose: Although The Windup Girl is more science fiction than steampunk/fantasy, I felt there were similarities in the exoticness of the world-building and readers who enjoyed Perdido Street Station may also enjoy The Windup Girl.
    The Etched City by K. J. Bishop (Jarandel)
    Jarandel: Similar dark, steampunk-ish urban environments that sometime veer into the horrific and fantastical.
    Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany (aaronius)
    aaronius: Another dystopian dream-city to get lost in with weird sex and fantastic writing.
    This Alien Shore by C. S. Friedman (MyriadBooks)
    MyriadBooks: For the world building, for the heft of the plot.
    Geek Love by Katherine Dunn (fyrefly98)
    Sea of Ghosts by Alan Campbell (iftyzaidi)
    God's War by Kameron Hurley (electronicmemory)
    electronicmemory: Two excellent examples of twisted, dark and brutal stories with unexpected sci-fi/fantasy elements and engrossing worlds.
    Earth by David Brin (freddlerabbit)
    Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey (Aerrin99)
    Aerrin99: An interesting world filled with unexpected people.

English (199)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  All languages (202)
There's a lot about this book that keeps me from recommending it. It's often deeply disturbing (which I guess is a plus if you like that kind of thing?). The story is not particularly well focussed (the basic story is just a meandering elaboration of Monsters Terrorizing the City). But plot asside, Miéville is a great writer. He can write horror in a way that really scares you (which I've never encountered in a book before). His world-building is rich and fascinating. And while I didn't grow to love any of these characters despite spending so much time with them, they are believable and have good arcs.

Part of me wants to say, "Don't read this book. Especially not before bedtime." Another part of me is looking forward to the rest of the series. ( )
  comfypants | Sep 1, 2015 |
With an imagination the size of a planet, and writing chops to match, Mieville has created an epic adventure story. The horrifying slake-moths, the unlimited power of the Crisis Engine, the self-aware machine Construct Council, and the richly detailed city of New Crobuzon, the fully rendered cast of characters, the astonishing variety of races and cultures - combine to form a compelling and well crafted world in which a band of unlikely intrepid heroes - to rival those of Middle Earth - venture to marshall forces both temporal and magical to save their world. "The most exciting, enthralling novel I have read in a long time. It is about everything important - love, work, hope, worlds we knew were out there but needed a writer like Mieville to show them to us. His imagination is vast, his talent volcanic. Read this book. It just might be a masterpiece." - Jonathon Carroll. Steam punk, science fiction, fantasy - Perdido Street Station is all of those and more. ( )
  zenhead | Aug 29, 2015 |
I kind of unliked it at first, but quickly I had been trapped by it's extremelly rich tapestry of interwoven realities and cultures.

This book is a seemengly neverending rollercoaster, with placid times and crescendos, then the dramatic and exciting falls. And when you think that's all, you find out you still have almost all the book to read. ( )
  gedece | Jul 27, 2015 |
This book has so much going on. There are non-human species, steam punk, magic, difference engines, sentient machines, flying man-birds, inter racial relations and so much more... It's almost too much!
A great city scape and world I really want to know more and see more.
The story moves OK it is a little slow at times and the descriptions and colour is wonderful. The city and politics and science dragged me in and I did enjoy the book.
Half of me wants to say it could do with a cut or reduction the other half wanted more and a longer story. I'll have to check out the next book.
I also am still not sure who the protagonist was... But I was interested in everyone.
So far China interests me as an author. ( )
  Ben_Harnwell | Apr 26, 2015 |
Yes, but Kindle.
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Perdido Street Station is a well written and absorbing story aimed at breaking the rules for a number of different fantasy concepts.

Miéville, Chinaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
lee, johnNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Miller, EdwardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevenson, DavidCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Villa, ElisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'I even gave up, for a while, stopping by the window of the room to look out at the lights and deep, illuminated streets. That's a form of dying, that losing contact with the city like that.'

Philip K. Dick , We Can Build You
to Emma
Veldt to scrub to fields to farms to these first tumbling houses that rise from the earth.
Do not combine with either Die Falter or Der Weber. Perdido Street Station was split into two volumes for publication in Germany.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0345459407, Mass Market Paperback)

When Mae West said, "Too much of a good thing can be wonderful," she could have been talking about China Miéville's Perdido Street Station. The novel's publication met with a burst of extravagant praise from Big Name Authors and was almost instantly a multiaward finalist. You expect hyperbole in blurbs; and sometimes unworthy books win awards, so nominations don't necessarily mean much. But Perdido Street Station deserves the acclaim. It's ambitious and brilliant and--rarity of rarities--sui generis. Its clearest influences are Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy and M. John Harrison's Viriconium books, but it isn't much like them. It's Dickensian in scope, but fast-paced and modern. It's a love song for cities, and it packs a world into its strange, sprawling, steam-punky city of New Crobuzon. It can be read with equal validity as fantasy, science fiction, horror, or slipstream. It's got love, loss, crime, sex, riots, mad scientists, drugs, art, corruption, demons, dreams, obsession, magic, aliens, subversion, torture, dirigibles, romantic outlaws, artificial intelligence, and dangerous cults.

Generous, gaudy, grand, grotesque, gigantic, grim, grimy, and glorious, Perdito Street Station is a bloody fascinating book. It's also so massive that you may begin to feel you're getting too much of a good thing; just slow down and enjoy.

Yes, but what is Perdido Street Station about? To oversimplify: the eccentric scientist Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin is hired to restore the power of flight to a cruelly de-winged birdman. Isaac's secret lover is Lin, an artist of the khepri, a humano-insectoid race; theirs is a forbidden relationship. Lin is hired (rather against her will) by a mysterious crime boss to capture his horrifying likeness in the unique khepri art form. Isaac's quest for flying things to study leads to verification of his controversial unified theory of the strange sciences of his world. It also brings him an odd, unknown grub stolen from a secret government experiment so perilous it is sold to a ruthless drug lord--the same crime boss who hired Lin. The grub emerges from its cocoon, becomes an extraordinarily dangerous monster, and escapes Isaac's lab to ravage New Crobuzon, even as his discovery becomes known to a hidden, powerful, and sinister intelligence. Lin disappears and Isaac finds himself pursued by the monster, the drug lord, the government and armies of New Crobuzon, and other, more bizarre factions, not all confined to his world. --Cynthia Ward

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:08 -0400)

In the squalid, gothic city of New Crobuzon, a mysterious half-human, half-bird stranger comes to Isaac, a gifted but eccentric scientist, with a request to help him fly, but Isaac's obsessive experiments and attempts to grant the request unleash a terrifying dark force on the entire city.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,149,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible