Send Me Safely Back Again (Napoleonic War)…

Send Me Safely Back Again (Napoleonic War)

by Adrian Goldsworthy

131768,668 (3)None

This is the 3rd of Godlsworthy's well done series on the Peninsular War. Here we see contrast to Cornwells Sharp, where Sharp has always had that little unrealistic friendship of Wellington for that hero. Wellington did not like those promoted from the ranks. Here our hero started as a Gentleman Volunteer, which we see play out as he is wise in his understanding of how to lead, and to think strategically. We saw our man do well on the retreat from Corunna, and here, we see a little liberties taken with the defeat at Medellin, but our lads come through with the campaigning, and intrigues that lead up to Talavera.

With not only the main hero, but Goldsworthy's use of others, we get a rounded contribution from the 106th. We do not need just one man to be leader, spy, and lover all at once. Though we should note for Austenphiles that Wickham, and now Colonel Fitzwilliam are making their ways through the story in a path that Jane may not have wanted to see followed.

For those who like the tales of the Napoleonic Era and wish to see more than just the success we know through Sharp, I recommend this series. ( )
  DWWilkin | May 21, 2015 |

Facing the battles of Medellin and Talavera, the 106th will have their mettle severely tested on the battlefield. But if Napoleon is to be ejected from Spain, war must also be waged in more covert ways. For Hanley, the former artist who is a more natural observer than fighter, the opportunity to become an "exploring officer" leads him into even more dangerous territory, the murky world of politics and partisans. And while Ensign Williams seeks to uncover the identity of the mysterious "Heroine of Saragossa," a conspiracy of revenge within the regiment itself threatens to destroy him before he has even faced a shot from the French.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:40 -0400)

The third novel in the series sees new challenges for the men of the 106th Foot, as the British army attempts to recover from the disaster of Corunna and establish a foothold in the Peninsula. Featuring the battles of Medellin and Talavera, the 106th will have their mettle severely tested on the battlefield. But if Napoleon is to be ejected from Spain, war must also be waged in more covert ways. For Hanley, the former artist who is a more natural observer than fighter, the opportunity to become an 'exploring officer' leads him into even more dangerous territory, the murky world of politics and partisans. And while Ensign Williams seeks to uncover the identity of the mysterious 'Heroine of Saragossa', a conspiracy of revenge within the regiment itself threatens to destroy him before he's even faced a shot from the French.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,240 books! | Top bar: Always visible