The Unloved by Jennifer Snyder

The Unloved

by Jennifer Snyder

Rating 2.5/5

This isn't your run of the mill love story, it's got layers to it and the potential to be excellent. However for me I just couldn't get into it. I found it difficult to get to know the characters, and everything felt a little rushed.

Full review on my blig www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
If you know me, you know by now that I love a good drama filled story. This story gave me just that. It's had so much emotion, so much history that after reading the story, it changed me.

What I loved most about this story is the great plot. We have two kids forced to live life's silently and alone. Well, not alone but all they had were each other. They grew up finding solace in one another, creating a friendship of a lifetime. Then life happens. They are separated and one is left to suffer alone. When they finally come back to each other, it's like everything stopped. As the reader, you felt the need for them to find each other once again. You want them to find peace and have the other save the friendship that is lost.

I like the their love didn't come back together in one night. It's takes time for them to open up and trust one another again. I loved that they found stolen peaceful moments that created such life in them. You can immediately tell that once their with one another, their whole personalty changes.

The Unloved is a highly emotional book that can capture any reader. The moments that dazzle the reader are the one that touch deeper into the soul. The gripping moment along with the loved that is form is a highly entertaining read. The Unloved is enriched with a great plot and moving characters. The Unloved is awesome! ( )
  Bookswithbite | Nov 10, 2012 |
This review contains spoilers.

I had a few problems with this novel.
The main thing that irked me was an overall sense of "slut shaming". Jules did it to her mother for being a stripper, her brother slut shamed both his mom and his sister, her ex boyfriend, etc.
Jules mother has a string of boyfriends who all lust after Jules. She wears baggy clothes so men won't want her.
[I really hated that the second time she wears less clothing she gets raped. Girls are not to blame for how they dress. That, and the one time her boyfriend is late for a date is when it happens.
Nick's mother and Jules are both defenseless women who never make any attempt to defend themselves. Jules instantly felt safer having a guy around with muscles.
Keep Holding On had it's flaws but ultimately the lead realised adults were people with problems too. The book was trying too hard to fit in different social issues but at least it grasped [in a heavy handed way] that actions have consequences and everyone has it bad in some way.
[Even after Jules repeats her mom's mistakes she never realises she's judging her mother for having sex. Nick's mother was let off the hook but Jules mother was not. Why have her spiral into drugs if she wasn't going to realise this?
The family dynamic and the cycle of abuse is far more complex than this book lets on.
It also missed an opportunity to have one of her mom's "friendlier" boyfriends reveal himself to be a creep. He just vanishes and is never seen from again.

I'd recommend skipping this book and renting the film Fish Tank instead. ( )
  peptastic | Nov 3, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,448,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible