London Eye by Tim Lebbon

London Eye

by Tim Lebbon

"The Hunger Games meets The X-Men in an exciting post-apocalyptic debut."

You know, I almost put this book aside after the first few chapters. The beginning is kind of slow and begins two years after the tragic events in London. There are news blurbs from the time of the disaster at the beginning of each chapter which give a bit of background about what occurred. Otherwise I felt kind of lost, looking at my surroundings wondering 'Where am I, and how did I get here?'. I'm glad I stuck around though because the story does get more interesting once the group starts their journey to London.

There are five main characters:

• Jack - lost his parents; traveling with his younger sister, Emily
• Emily - seems to be okay as long as she's with Jack; always using her video camera
• Sparky - lost his brother, but his parents don't seem to care
• Jenna - lost no one and is supporting her friends; something happened to her father after he was caught and then released from London
• Lucy-Anne - lost her family and doesn't seem right in the head; Jack's girlfriend(?)

They are all going to London to find out the truth, what the government has been covering up. There really wasn't much background on each character and I didn't really connect to them. How did they meet? Why are they friends?

My favorite parts of the story involved the 'Irregulars' and the 'Superiors', people that have developed new abilities such as healing or mind-control. I wish there had been more about them and their powers. Like many first books in a series (trilogy?), London Eye seems like one long set-up story that ends right as the story is really getting started.

I'll be reading the sequel, Reaper's Legacy, and hoping some of my questions will be answered. *fingers crossed* I'm curious enough to want to see what happens next.

3 stars ( )
  cheekylala | Sep 26, 2014 |
I spotted this book at the library. It started out great, then got a bit confusing. London and its citizens have been affected by a catastrophic event which has devasted the city. People have been changed, not only psychologically, but physically in that some of them have "powers",such as healing. The city is in ruins and its citizen kept captive, most in hiding.

Overall,I enjoyed the book. It was confusing, then slow to read, but did pick up. Being the first in a series, I will probably look for the next book. ( )
  LeHack | Sep 27, 2013 |
Unusual and different ( )
  lilcrickit | May 9, 2013 |
Wanting something different, I picked up this story wanting an adventure. Instead, I got a story that really didn't capture me the way I expected it too.

The plot of the book really confuse me in the beginning. Things weren't really explained to the reader and I was lost for a few chapters. I found myself re-reading passages just to make sure that I didn't miss anything. I decided to keep going, hoping it get better. It did, but it still left me with lots of questions. I did continue reading but found myself getting well a little tired of feeling lost.

Half-way through the book is gets better. Finally things are coming together and I'm finally getting the picture. I like the idea of people's chemistry/DNA changing due to some catastrophic event. It's like some stayed the same and other just were changed completely. The twist with the main characters Jack and what happen to his parents is the highlight of the book. It had me wanting to know why such a drastic change???

Of course by now you know that my gripe is that the book is really slow and hard to understand in the beginning. After a while, the reader is able to get it and the ending is quite good for such a slow beginning.

London Eye is a good book with potential. I can see that the ending is really good, that it is something I want to read more of just cause I need to know what happens next. Hopefully the next book will fulfill my adventure. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Mar 4, 2013 |
The first book in Tim Lebbon's Toxic City series is no doubt an eye-opener! His style and the simple genius of the story's plot will readily hook readers. London Eye is so much more than the telling of how Jack and his friends survive in a drastically changed city. Lebbon quickly instills mystery, terror, and just a smidgen of hope that will cause readers to eagerly read the story through.

London is the victim of a terrorist attack that caused the city to shut down and close off to anyone already outside. Most of the people died instantly, but the ones who survived awakened changed. Jack's mother is one of those evolving survivors, so when he and his little sister learn that she's still alive they find their way inside the supposedly toxic city with their friends: Lucy-Anne, Sparky, and Jenna. Jack and Lucy-Anne are portrayed as the central characters as the story flits between their third person perspectives. Everyone in the group has a dark background, a sad story to tell because of the damage done in London, but Jack and Lucy-Anne somehow have greater ties to the city. Jack is the level-headed type and Lucy-Anne is more impulsive, angry, and just a touch crazy, so it's interesting to see their different takes on what's happening to them. The light connection between them was short-lived, but added a little fuel to the group's dynamic.

The group of friends steal into the city hoping to find the truth about what's really going on and answers to the fate of their lost family members. What they find is a desolate land 'protected' by Choppers and inhabited by many strange, yet powerful, characters. Choppers roam the streets looking for survivors to brutally experiment on, while the Irregulars and the Superiors hide or fight back. The way Lebbon relates London's destruction and aftermath is chilling, but so believable. It's not even hard to imagine when the survivors demonstrate their terrifying or useful new powers. Lebbon's writing is subtle in it's intensity, and will leave you feeling awed and excited for the sequel, Reaper's Legacy.

Also posted on Lovey Dovey Books
*Book provided via publisher in exchange for an honest review* ( )
  LoveyDoveyBooks | Jan 17, 2013 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161614680X, Hardcover)

ABC Studios is producing Evolve, a television drama series based on the Toxic City trilogy, with Alex Proyas (Dark City) directing/co-executive producing and Jaime Paglia (Eureka) scripting/co-executive producing.

The Hunger Games meets the X-Men in an exciting postapocalyptic debut.

But Jack and his friends—some of whom lost family on what has become known as Doomsday—know that the reality is very different. At great risk, they have been gathering evidence about what is really happening in London—and it is incredible.

Upon discovering that his mother is still alive inside London, Jack, his sister, and their three friends sneak into a city in ruins. Vast swathes have been bombed flat. Choppers cruise the streets, looking for survivors to experiment upon. The toxic city is filled with wonders and dangers that will challenge Jack and his friends... and perhaps kill them. But Jack knows that the truth must be revealed to the outside world or every survivor will die.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:50 -0400)

"Two years after London is struck by a devastating terrorist attack, it is cut off from the world, protected by a military force known as Choppers. The rest of Britain believes that the city is now a toxic, uninhabited wasteland. But Jack and his friends-some of whom lost family on what has become known as Doomsday-know that the reality is very different. At great risk, they have been gathering evidence about what is really happening in London-and it is incredible. Because the handful of London's survivors are changing. Developing strange, fantastic powers. Evolving. Upon discovering that his mother is still alive inside London, Jack, his sister, and their three friends sneak into a city in ruins. Vast swathes have been bombed flat. Choppers cruise the streets, looking for survivors to experiment upon. The toxic city is filled with wonders and dangers that will challenge Jack and his friends ... and perhaps kill them. But Jack knows that the truth must be revealed to the outside world or every survivor will die" -- Cover verso.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,060,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible