Leave it to Psmith by P. G. Wodehouse

Leave it to Psmith

by P. G. Wodehouse

Series: Blandings Castle Novels (book 2), Psmith (4)

English (28)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (30)
I found “Leave it to Psmith” to be a vast improvement on the first book in the Blandings series, as well as being the best of the four Psmith novels.

Psmith is a character that walks a narrow line between being amusing and annoying. In his second and third outings I found him quite irritating, whereas in “Mike” and in this volume he proved humorous and entertaining.

“Leave it to Psmith” has a clever plot and a host of engaging characters. I especially liked Psmith himself, the beautiful Eve, the efficient Baxter, and best of all Lord Emsworth.

Lord Emsworth is one of, if not *the*, funniest creations by P. G. Wodehouse that I’ve encountered thus far. Every scene he appears in is brilliant to behold. The flowerpot-throwing incident and its aftermath are among the most entertaining.

I say, this is a dashed good read, what? ( )
  PhilSyphe | Apr 29, 2016 |
’Alone?’ Psmith looked at her, astonished. ‘When you have the chance of being with me? This is a strange attitude.’

The second in the Blanding Castle-series and my first introduction to the wonderful character Psmith - (although he appears in three earlier novels).

What can you expect?
- Again people popping up at Blanding Castle with covert motives
- Lord Emsworth more absent-minded and clueless than ever
- Another thing that people grasp after, this time a diamant necklace.
- And then Psmith. An uncontrollable force of nature, wild, unpredictable, making fun of everybody, fooling everybody and just overflowing with joie de vivre. He reminded me of Innocent Smith in Chesterton’s Man Alive, the “holy fool”.

I had so much fun reading this novel with its absurd plot. ( )
1 vote ctpress | Apr 10, 2016 |
Simply delightful, as all Blandings novels are. This one keeps the reader guessing right to its inevitable happy ending! ( )
  Oodles | Feb 16, 2016 |
Another Wodehouse featuring one of my favorite of his characters, Psmith. This one has more action in it than most, it is almost a mystery with crime and disguises and even gun play. Psmith is in top form, and gets the girl in the end. This is one of the ones that makes me think Dorothy L. Sayers had to have read Wodehouse. ( )
  charliesierra | Jan 31, 2016 |
Early Wodehouse, not as stereotyped as some later stories, especially in the character of Psmith (he added the P to be distinctive) a clever, ambitious young man hired to fake the theft of a necklace. Those who hire him --Freddie Threepwood and his uncle --are more typical Wodehouse characters who reappear frequently in later books, as does the Blandings Castle setting. ( )
  antiquary | Nov 15, 2013 |

Wielek-Berg, W.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Woodson, MatthewCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my daughter Leonora
Queen of her species
At the open window of the great library of Blandings Castle, drooping like a wet sock, as was his habit when he had nothing to prop his spine against, the Earl of Emsworth, that amiable and boneheaded peer, stood gazing out over his domain.
"Other men love you. Freddie Threepwood loves you. Just add me to the list. That is all I ask. Muse on me from time to time. Reflect that I may be an acquired taste. You probably did not like olives the first time you tasted them. Now you probably do. Give me the same chance you would give an olive."
I'm as broke as the ten commandments!
This title was first published as a serial, but was reworked with significant differences before being published as a novel.

Overlook Press blurb:
It all starts with an umbrella, the best to be found in the Drones Club. From such an innocent beginning Wodehouse weaves a comic tale of suspense and romance involving one of his most distinctive early heroes, Ronald Eustace Psmith, monocled wit and devil-may-care boulevardier. Unusually for Wodehouse, this is not only a light comedy but also an adventure story in which crime and even gun-play drive the plot.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0394720261, Mass Market Paperback)

One of the most perennially popular of all the Wodehouse titles, Leave it to Psmith, according to Wilfrid Sheed, "helps to usher in the Wodehouse golden age" -- the age of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves, Blandings Castle and all the rest, among whom the ingenious Psmith ("The p is silent, as in phthisis, psychic, and ptarmigan") is entirely worthy to be counted. A debonair young Englishman who has quit the fish business, "even though there is money in fish and decided to support himself by doing anything that he is hired to do by anyone, Psmith, wandering in and out of romantic, suspenseful and invariably hilarious situations, is in the great Wodehouse tradition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:02 -0400)

The Hon. Freddie Threepwood is poised to make his debut as a jewel thief, but he is not alone. Blandings Castle is full of criminals and impostors, intent on stealing Aunt Constance's diamond necklace and it is up to Psmith to catch the thief.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,426,478 books! | Top bar: Always visible