Broken Shell Island, The Witches of West…

Broken Shell Island, The Witches of West Shore

by Dalya Moon

Opal lives with her Grandfather and has grown up reading a friends stories about Broken Shell Island. On her 15th birthday she is expecting a bike when instead she is given a suitcase. Her Grandfather is ill and she is going to live with her Aunt Waleah, a woman she has never heard of, on Broken Shell Island. Things get more interesting when she is dumped off the ship and finds her way to the island with the help of the suitcase.

When Opal gets to the island she is arrested for murder. After she is cleared her adventures start. She is then sent on odd errands, meets all kinds of creatures from the stories she grew up with, and finds herself on an adventure.

This story reminds me of Alice in Wonderland, one of my favorites! Opal is uprooted and tossed into a magical mystery story. There are all of the various characters from witches to pixies and unicorns. There are many rambling adventures she finds herself on. What I liked the best is the modern necessities, ie cell phones and such. It helped to give the story a truer fantasy feel.

This is a real good story that I think some adults and young adults but I don’t know about the younger kids. There are some topics that seem a bit mature for younger readers. But if you like stories like Alice in Wonderland I think you will like this one.

I received this book for free from the Library Thing Early Reader program. ( )
  jbronderblogs | Oct 27, 2014 |
I don't unually read this type of book, but this was very interesting, kept my attention trough out, a very fun read. ( )
  Grandy | Jan 27, 2013 |
In a fascinating YA book Broken Shell Island: The Witches of West Shore; Dayla Moon spins a tale of wonder. Opal has grown up reading all the “Broken Shell Island” books written by her grandfather’s friend Flora Fritz. At her birthday lunch, surrounded by all of her Grandfather’s friends and expecting a bike, Opal is a bit (!!) surprised with an old, empty suitcase. It used to be Grampa’s.
He tells her that he is very ill and that she is to travel to meet her Great-Aunt Waleah and stay there. Gr-Aunt Waleah lives on the real Broken Shell Island. But it isn’t on a map because it moves around! Opal is pitched, with suitcase in tow, off a ship in the middle of the ocean and eventually, with the suitcase’ help finds herself ashore. And accused of murder!
Innocence found, she is released to Gr-Aunt Waleah’s custody and is sent the next morning to get Bluebee wax to do the wooden floors in Waleah’s home. And thus the journey begins…..
Who killed Edwin’s fiancée? Are her newly met friends really witches (surely not!). Does Opal find what she is looking for on the Island? Your 6th grader on up and you, yourself will love this story! I sure did. ( )
  macygma | Dec 14, 2012 |
Broken Shell Island is a captivating story. Opal is sent to live with her unknown great-aunt on a magical island that she knows only as palace in story books. But the island is quite real and populated with witches, little goats, and pixies in addition to humans. The story is well-written and I wanted to keep reading to see what would happen next. ( )
  aztwinmom | Nov 13, 2012 |
4 STARS

Broken Shell Island draws you right into the story and made me care about Opal right away. Some parts of the story I could see get a 5 stars and other part 3.
Opal is at a birthday party with her grandfather and his senior friends. She has been hopeful that she will get a bike. She even printed off a picture of the one she wants and a map to the store.
Instead she gets a box with a old suitcase in it. Her grandfather says she is going to Broken Shell Island that his friend wrote books about the place. Everyone is excited that she is going she does not want to leave her grandfather. Who has raised her.
He tells her that she needs to pack because she is going right away and she will be living with his sister. That he is dying. After fighting and arguing that she does not want to leave him. He drives her three hours away and puts her in a boat with a big stranger.
Opal is getting close the captain throws her suitcase in the ocean and then throws her in. He yells to her to old onto the suitcase and she will make it. Opal can not believe that she got thrown into the ocean. When she found the suitcase it was warm and moved her. She let go of it and she got cold and the suitcase stayed in place.
After Opal lands on a beach with broken shells and she is all alone. She tries to remember the stories she had read so long ago about a magical island.
Opal is a real likeable character and she does not give up easily. She cares about her new friends.
The plot has a lot of action that is happening on the island around Opal as she is thrown into different situations that are going on. The island does not have cell phones,internet,cars but does have different animals,weird plants , witches and magic.
Most of the plot makes sense some of it was pretty far out thier.
It kept my attention on what was happening and I wanted to know more about the island.
This is a stand alone book but he does plan on going back to the island in more stories. I would like to come back and read more about Broken Shell Island in the future.
This would be a good book for any age. No sex scenes or foul language. It does have witches, mini goats that might talk, trolls, Giant Owls, and lots of adventure as Opal learns about the island and find out who was murdered and why she is a suspect.
I was given this ebook to read in exchange of honest review from Librarything.
08/06/2012 PUB. 252 pages ( )
  rhonda1111 | Aug 23, 2012 |

Opal gets a dirty old suitcase for her birthday. She’s not impressed. Her grandfather tells her she’ll need it, because she’s going to live with her great aunt on Broken Shell Island. Opal wonders if her grandfather hasn’t gone senile, because Broken Shell Island is a made-up magical place that their family friend Flora Fritz writes picture books about.

Oh, but the island is real. And magic.

Opal encounters magical plants, animals, and danger, too. The evening she arrives, a body is discovered in the woods, not far from where she passed through. Worse, a terrifying creature has emerged from the ground, and it hungers for the innocent, whether the people of the island believe in it or not.

While young Opal is eager to fit into her new life, perhaps becoming a witch, she’s mainly concerned about surviving her first week. Riding a unicorn is not quite the experience she expected, nor is her first encounter with hair-styling pixies.

Life is beautiful, magical, and perilous, on Broken Shell Island.

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Dalya Moon's book Broken Shell Island, The Witches of West Shore was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Dalya Moon is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,742,844 books! | Top bar: Always visible