Animal Instincts by Kim Alan

Animal Instincts

by Kim Alan

'Animal Instincts' is an interesting look at a budding relationship that goes from hilariously funny to whoa-what-just-happened to very hot and sweet. Jordan, a dedicated vet, and Cal, a carpenter who just moved into town, meet and sparks fly. But nothing is as easy as it seems, and I definitely didn't see the twist coming until I was knee-deep in the story. The secondary characters include cute teenagers, a delightfully weird old lady, and her dog, who not only has excellent gaydar, but seems to be into matchmaking. Yes, you read that correctly. It made me laugh too. Animals and humans alike operate on pure instinct and, for once, the results are satisfactory for all concerned.

Jordan is a vet who takes his job seriously. He is professional, or tries to be, even in the face of Cal's amazing hotness. Jordan wants to get to know Cal better, and as he patiently approaches the man and figures out how to talk to him, he discovers Cal's deeper needs. They match his own perfectly, so he thinks it will all be fine. Unfortunately, it isn’t as easy as it seems.

Cal is extremely withdrawn and skittish, but he does warm to Jordan's attentions to some degree. When I did find out what was going on I really felt for him, and loved the way Jordan, once he recovered from his shock, dealt with the situation. There is definitely more of a story here, and I really hope Kim Alan will write a looong sequel.

If you like shot stories that will make you laugh about the characters' antics (both people and dogs!), if you enjoy reading about men who have to struggle a little when figuring out if and how they might fit together, and if you're looking for a read that is very hot as well as sweet, you will probably like this free short story.
  SerenaYates | Oct 19, 2017 |

After getting a glimpse of Sir Winston’s handsome mug, there was no way I was going to put off reading this story. I love the brachycephalic dog breeds, particularly pugs and bulldogs. I know they are prone to health problems and hate hot weather, but their sweet, expressive faces and dignified posture are so hard to resist.

Sir Winston is heavy-set, lazy, and he slobbers and drools. In addition to these endearing qualities, he also has a finely honed gaydar.

Dr. Jordan MacKenzie is Winston’s patient and understanding veterinarian. Not only does he have to fend off the overfriendly Winston, whose gaydar is always on, but he also has to put up with his eccentric owner, Mrs. Miller, who calls the doctor no matter what time of day or night when her dog goes missing or has a problem.

Then there’s Cal, who Winston nearly knocked over when he came to Jordan’s clinic to pick up his grandmother’s dog (that gaydar thing again).

Jordan is very interested in Cal, but Cal is resistant to his advances. Of course, Mrs. Miller spilling the beans about her dog’s matchmaking abilities didn’t help matters. And it doesn’t help that Cal is so prickly, rarely smiles or laughs, and keeps to himself pretty much.

Though Jordan and Cal are very well-developed characters, there’s a lot more to them, particularly Cal, that hasn’t been told yet. Jordan is patient, easygoing and raising a child on his own. He is also a Dominant who knows exactly what Cal needs. Cal eventually succumbs to Jordan’s charms, and their lovemaking sizzled, but he is a wounded young man and I really hope there is a sequel that will cover more of his history.

I thoroughly enjoyed this sweet, humorous, and very sexy story.

Also reviewed at Hearts on Fire Reviews
  Nancy_F | Mar 29, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,594 books! | Top bar: Always visible