1989 by Sam C. Leonhard
312,001,085 (4)None
Recently added bySerenaYates, Nightcolors, PeggyDow

Second chances are a fascinating concept, and the stories that make them happen hold a special place in my heart. The type where time is ‘rewound’ or just completely restructured to adjust for past mistakes are even more special to me. Maybe because in our ‘reality’ they can never happen, or maybe because, deep down, my inner romantic prefers those. 1989 is a great example of a story with a few surprises and a very elegant solution for a devastatingly heartbreaking problem.

Theo is a man who was afraid of his own shadow, and now has to deal with the consequences of his own cowardice. He lives a life he hates, has more regrets than should be legal, and is totally helpless to change a single thing. The man he loved, and ran from is dead, and nothing Theo does will change that. His emotions were so clear, I felt for him from the very start. When the change comes, I wasn’t sure what was going on. As it becomes clearer to Theo, and me by extension, I became fascinated by the idea of what was happening, even if the ‘how’ remains shrouded in mystery. Which doesn’t matter in the least, because the focus was, rightfully so, on the impact it had on Theo. Very, very well done!

For such a short story, there is a lot of emotion between the characters. Theo, the narrator, is someone I immediately cared for and his predicament of having made a major mistake in his past is one I was able to relate to. If you like stories with a twist, want an unconventional look at time and how we relate to it, and if you like stories where second chances lead to a happy ending, this one is for you.

NOTE: This book was provided by Dreamspinner Press for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews. ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 14, 2017 |

Back in 1989, Chris Quinton made a mistake: he ran from Luke, the man he loved. He's regretted it ever since--especially because the man in question died more than twenty years ago. One lonely, drunken night, he gets the chance to change the past. Will he take it or run away once again? A story from the Dreamspinner Press 2012 Daily Dose package "Time Is Eternity."… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,744,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible