The Rest of Forever by Kate Aaron

The Rest of Forever (2012)

by Kate Aaron

English (5)  French (1)  All (6)
"The Rest of Forever"
by Kate Aaron
Croft House, 2012
ISBN 9781476219622; Smashwords digital edition (EPUB), ~13,850 words

Review date: February, 2014

Of all Kate Aaron's works I've read so far (and granted, I haven't read many), the novelette "The Rest of Forever" is the best. It's a fairly simple, straightforward story: a young man falls for his best friend, but the best friend doesn't return his feelings...until the guy has moved on and it's too late. At around 14,000 words, this story is long enough to develop the characters and their relationships but short enough to keep the narrator's angst from becoming tedious and unbearable.

Aaron's writing style in "The Rest of Forever" draws the reader in and flows smoothly, so the words fly by quickly and with ease, yet it is not simplistic. Nothing important seems to be left out—and, perhaps more importantly, nothing extraneous seems to be offered...with the exception of the brief epilogue, which dulls the dramatic impact of the preceding climactic scene. Besides this ending, my only complaint is that, while most of the work is free of typographical errors, there are some quite noticeable ones near the end. Perhaps the author was "in the zone" while writing the climax and her fingers were flying too fast for her eyes to keep up, perhaps her first readers were too engrossed in the scene to notice the errors...but whatever the case, they did detract from my enjoyment of the scene, which otherwise was quite well written.

Overall, this story of the love triangle between the characters of Jackson, Paul, and Curtis is fairly believable, realistic, and, for the most part, quite enjoyable. It focuses more on the emotional development than the sex, though there's enough mention of the subject that it retains its erotic flavor. It's one of the better free short story offerings I've read in a while, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys M/M erotic romance. It's free to download at Smashwords and other ebook retailers.

——————————

3½ stars: It was very good. Technical, conventional, and other errors are rare or nonexistent, and the work stands out among others of its kind. A 3½-star work is nearing excellence. I am likely to add it to my permanent collection and recommend it to others. This rating may be more subjective than others, as it relies to a slightly greater extent on my tastes in genre and style. Creative writing is more likely to receive 3½ stars than conventional nonfiction. Equivalent to an 'A–', or very good, grade. ( )
  tokidokizenzen | Feb 11, 2014 |
4.5. It lost half a star b/c I ended up feeling bad for Curtis. Still great though. ( )
  Peepers82 | Sep 22, 2013 |
This was an unexpected surprise. The grief and regret felt by the main character as he once again meets "the man who got away" is very powerfully and poetically conveyed, and I loved it.

I did feel it ended too abruptly though - I wanted more explanation as to how things changed at the party, and the epilogue was unnecessary. Otherwise, very good stuff. ( )
  AnneBrooke | Aug 28, 2013 |
Another free ebook from All Romance Ebooks, which I really have to stop looking at now. It's got more of a build-up than the other books I've read from there recently, but since it revolves around strong emotion, the fact that I didn't connect with the characters got in my way. I skimmed the sex scene -- I'm not interested in sex scenes where it's all about bodily fluids and so on; I'm much more interested in sex scenes as a moment of connection/communion, and without the emotional investment, this whole story fell flat.

It's quite a typical storyline, really, too, which doesn't help: best friends in love, one guy runs away in fear, spends the rest of his life regretting it and eventually tries to fix the situation. Yawn. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 28, 2013 |
This is so utterly lovely, erotic, romantic and realistic at the same time that it gives me one huge warm fuzz of wellbeing. Sweet and hot in the very, very best sense! Major kudos for pulling off a love triangle in a believable and ethical manner, drawing out the conflict and misery from the upright behaviour of the intruder. Just wonderful. ( )
  Steelwhisper | Mar 29, 2013 |
For Cheri
8am Sunday morning in the middle of February and I’m jogging around my local park.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,986,162 books! | Top bar: Always visible