Love Those Broad Shoulders by Cheryl Dragon

No tags.

Reviewed by: Marissa
Book provided by: Publisher
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

I had a harder time buying into this story than most. Here we have two long-time friends, both hot for each other, but neither will act on it for fear of losing a friend. So instead, they dance around the attraction issue and make up excuses for why they aren’t making a play for each other. Neither man is in a relationship and this isn’t an ugly-duckling story, where one man feels he’s not good enough for the other, so I just didn’t understand the hesitation. As for the characters themselves, I found them to be real and even likable.

Pete, a talented tattoo artist, strives to please his Uncle Teddy, who also happens to be his boss and the only family member who backed up his art career. I found it odd that Pete knows next to nothing about Teddy, the same uncle that took him under his wing and is training him to take over the tattoo shop. Pete is what I term “in-between” – in-between the young party years and the grown-up, settling down years. While he still heads out for drinks and dancing at the end of a work day, it seems to be wearing on him. He seems ready to move on to the next phase of his life – the permanent relationship. But he’s also in-between in his work. Pete knows he’s quite talented as an artist, but he’s afraid to put his art on display in a competition, fearing he won’t come in first.

Chris is more straightforward, if a bit of a mystery. He has decided on what he wants and then decides to get it. And that begins with a kiss and a barter with Peter. It’s the kiss that leads them to explore their attraction to one another, but we don’t really learn much about Chris until the end of the book and that seems a shame. We know he wants Pete, but that’s about all we know. I would have like more insight into Chris’ past, into what he’s doing now and why he’s doing it.

Despite my initial misgivings, the story itself is a good, quick read. It’s simply about the attraction of two men and how they overcome their hesitations of commitment. ( )
  RtB | Mar 31, 2013 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,589,006 books! | Top bar: Always visible