The Severing by D. J. Manly

The Severing

by D. J. Manly

511,436,638 (4)None

This is such an amazing book. It has mystery (kept me guessing for a bit), a great concept, wonderful characters and well written settings - which is quite an achievement, considering that a large part of the story takes place in 'limbo'. However, the mix between the 'limbo' part and reality is very cleverly done, so that, at times, I wasn't sure which was which - in the best way. It's also a very interesting mix between a murder mystery/serial killer theme (and yes, in true DJ fashion, that part is really gruesome) and a ghost story. The elements of good/bad and redemption that peek in add yet more layers.

This is really Billy's story. I adored him. He is pretty helpless in the beginning, trying to find his way in this new reality he's been thrown into. As he finds out what is going on, his determination for revenge, or at least some sort of solution, grows. When he finally discovers the truth, his determination to do something about it (can't say more without a major spoiler) is admirable and touched me deeply.

But then it's Alex and Terrence's story as well. The romance between these two develops slowly, and the way they end up working together left me hoping for a sequel. Please? I felt as if there was a lot more between them, a lot of potential that wasn't explored yet. Both in terms of their relationship and in terms of what they can do together.

The secondary characters were very rich, each adding their own story to the mosaic. They gave this book the added depth that makes thoughts of a sequel, maybe even a series, so tempting and promising. A wonderful book that charmed me - despite some of the more horrific parts. Something DJ is a true master at! ( )
  SerenaYates | Oct 19, 2017 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,515,391 books! | Top bar: Always visible