Mirror of Shadows by T. Lynne Tolles

Mirror of Shadows (edition 2012)

by T. Lynne Tolles, Erin Potter (Editor), Aleksie O'Konner (Cover Design)

Member:sjm2227
Title:Mirror of Shadows
Authors:T. Lynne Tolles
Other authors:Erin Potter (Editor), Aleksie O'Konner (Cover Design)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 200 pages

Mirror of Shadows by T. Lynne Tolles

deceit (1) family (1) fiction (1) greed (1) murder (1) mystery (1) read (1) suspense (1) to-read (5) YA fantasy (1)

The story starts with the death of Ella’s grandmother and with Ella discovering details regarding her inheritance. The story is aimed at New Adult as there is no bad language or sex in it.

I liked the characters in this book, especially Ella and Jeremy (and not forgetting Boo the kitten!)

The ‘mirror of shadows’ in the title didn’t play a huge part of the story just set the scene and moved it on when needed. It had a touch of paranormal about it and I enjoyed the ‘mirror’ aspect of it.

It was a little predictable and Ella was very naive but I’m not sure if that was because of the intended audience. Overall though a good read and something I would recommend for the age group indicated (and those of us who are very slightly older!) 4/5

autumngirl70 | Apr 3, 2013 |

I liked the characters in this book, especially Ella and Jeremy and not forgetting Boo the kitten!)

sjm2227 | Feb 26, 2013 |
I received this book via Library Thing's Member Giveaways.

Ella inherits her beloved grandmother's estate, which includes a big rundown house that she chooses to restore and live in. It gives her a good opportunity to escape her mother, a drug addict not above mooching off others' kindnesses and wallets.

Ella finds herself in danger and haunted by dreams she can't understand. She will have to fight for what belongs to her and choose who to trust when it seems there are many who would exploit her inheritance and are willing to kill in the process.

Mirror of Shadows is a good, light beach read. I did find the plot line predictable and Ella was far too naive, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this mystery romance with just a touch of gothic drama. ( )
  leesalogic | Nov 30, 2012 |
I loved this book! I finished it in one day, that's how good it was. It grabs you from the very beginning and keeps you until the end. fabulous read. Very well written, flowed wonderfully. The characters were very well developed, I felt like I knew them all, the good ones and the bad. I highly recommend this book to all readers. It is a fast read, you will love it, as I did! I received this book through member giveaways to give an honest review. ( )
  bookworm1954 | Nov 8, 2012 |
I was given an E-edition of this book for the purpose of writing a review.

This was one of those books that had me from the first page. I ended up reading it all in one sitting. It was full of mystery, intrigue, suspense, action, drama, a little romance and a small amount of believable paranormal activity (if you believe in the paranormal, of course).

Ella McKaye has just graduated from college when she gets the news that her beloved Grandmother, Rose Grey McKaye, has died. Ella is devastated and after the funeral is quite stunned when the family lawyer take Ella aside and informs her that she is the sole heir to her Grandmother's estate. Upon discussion Ella finds that her Grandmother was a very wealthy woman and that her Grandmother has been the sole source of any income her Mother ever had. Ella's Father died when she was very young and out of a sense of responsibility to her son, Rose supported Ella and her Mother by setting up a trust that took care of them. Ella's Mother finds out about the inheritance after looking through Ella's belongings while she slept. Thinking they have hit the mother load, she is busy making plans of all the things she can do and buy when Ella wakes up and see's that she has been snooping in her things. When Ella asks her Mother what she is doing she states that she is looking at all of the things they can do with their new found wealth. Ella must then break the news to her Mother that there is one stipulation in the will and that is she can never give, will, bequeath or loan any of the inheritance to her Mother. If she does not agree with the terms the estate will be sold and the proceeds will go to the town and various charities. At hearing this, Ella's mother becomes enraged and begins to talk very badly of her mother-in-law. Ella tells her to stop and not to speak of Rose in that manner. Ella's Mother promptly kicks Ella out of the house. Ella has no where to go so she opens up the papers the lawyer gave her and sets out in search of the mansion that is part of her inheritance. No one has lived in the home for many years so it need a lot of work and TLC. With the help of the lawyer who is like an uncle to her Ella decides to make a go of living in the run down property while fixing it up. What unfolds is a good story about family, trust and secrets. Ella had no idea life would become so complicated or dangerous so quickly.

I enjoyed the ups, downs, twists and turns of this story. Being a sucker for a happy ending I wasn't disappointed. A few characters were predictable but I was able to overlook that with the storyline that was just begging to be read. ( )
  WillowOne | Sep 21, 2012 |

Ella McKaye returns home for her grandmother's funeral to find she's inherited a ton of money and a run down mansion she never knew existed, called Grey Manor. Her greedy mother is appalled when the will stipulates specifically that Ella can't give her any of the inheritance.  She quickly throws Ella out of her home forcing her to take up immediate residence in the spooky old mansion.

Within minutes of entering her new home she has a strange interaction with a creepy old mirror in the main hallway and the ghostly inhabitants of the past get more and more agitated the longer Ella's there. Nearly fatal back to back accidents make Ella start to wonder if she's angered some ghost or if there is something more sinister at work.

Will Ella unravel the deadly mystery before she becomes a ghost herself? Or will fate take another one of the Grey ancestors to the grave.

T. Lynne Tolles is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,770,003 books! | Top bar: Always visible