Beneath the Slashings by Michelle Isenhoff

Beneath the Slashings (2012)

by Michelle Isenhoff

731,138,814 (4.5)None

English (2)  German (1)  All (3)
I found Beneath the Slashings to be a coming of age type story in which a young girl suffers loss, learns to deal with anger and disappointment, and learns how to deal with difficult emotional issues. I liked Grace and her brother. I found myself sympathetic with her father and the difficult decisions he had to make. The story itself was good, though not a light read. I really had to pay attention while reading to make sure I didn't miss anything, but the story flowed pretty well so it kept my interest. Some of the characters are quite rough, as I imagine the men of that time and in a logging camp would be.
I enjoyed the historical aspects of this book, and the in depth look into the lives of men returning after the Civil War, and the difficulties they may have faced returning home. His adjustment to life in a logging camp with two small children, then having his life endangered, drew my interest even more.
Due to the mention of drunk men, drinking and the harshness of life in a logging camp, I'd recommend this for readers ages 15 and up. ( )
  Lovez2read | Oct 2, 2012 |
I'll be honest and say, that I wasn't anticipating liking this novel as much as I did. I'm not a big Civil War novel lover and the fact that this takes place just after the Civil War, I thought that it would be about that completely. It does in fact deal with some of the horrors of war and some lingering racism. Ha, racism, I'm not even sure if that's the right word. Second class citizen, I just don't even have the right word for what most of the men thought of the one lone black man that was in the logging camp. Even the northerners that fought against slavery consider this black man beneath them. Anyway, that isn't all the book is about. In fact, that's only a small part.

The book is told through 12 yr old Grace Nickerson's very reluctant voice. She hates the idea of leaving the farming community she grew up in, her friends, her aunt and uncle she's lived with while her dad fought in the war to go to this logging camp. She expects the worst and isn't really disappointed. The men are somewhat crude and dirty, not liking the bathing every other Sunday rule that her father institutes. (honestly you'd think they were 12 yr old boys!) But they don't allow any mistreatment of their little Grace even if she doesn't speak to them or look them in the eye. She cooks in the kitchen with her twin brother and Ivan, the chef and they work hard. But on the occasion that she does have a break, she goes and pouts somewhere. Yep, she's taken the silent treatment to a whole nother level! Anyway, one of the loggers sees someone mistreat her and he gets a little mistreatment of his own. It's very funny what they do to him and when Grace hears through her brother what happened she warms up to the men. But not her father. This little girl can give the silent treatment like nobody's business!

She keeps busy by snooping around and trying to figure out who is causing a series of nearly fatal accidents at the camp. The last camp boss, her father's position, was found dead of a shotgun wound and no one is sure if it was self inflicted or an accident or if he was killed. She may not be talking to him, but she doesn't want her father to die. While she puts the clues together, she makes friends with the men and begins to see the logging camp differently. We get a crash course in logging. I found it very interesting. Grace finds her way to an old Ottawa woman's tepee where she learns to make moccasin's out of rabbit skins. She reads to the men on Sunday afternoons, fairy tales and Alice in Wonderland, and she grows up quite a bit.

The novel would have been dull if it had been just about living in a logging camp, but the added mystery, the Native American woman, a teeny tiny romance and the men reminiscing about home, about the losses in the war, all of that made for a really interesting novel. I'd definitely recommend this to any MG reader who can read a chapter book of this size. There were a few words I didn't know, but read in context (and a little help from the Kindle dictionary) I figured them out. I did not, however realize who the bad guy was until Grace did. This book is part of a trilogy, but can work as a stand alone as the characters are different and unrelated in each story. Also for teachers, there is a Curriculum Guide available if you want to go along with the book. Below are some links you might find helpful.

Thanks to the author, Michelle Isenhoff for the complimentary copy of Beneath the Slashings given to me for an honest opinion in my review. I was in no way influenced in my review. ( )
  hrose2931 | Aug 9, 2012 |

Michelle Isenhoff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,990,656 books! | Top bar: Always visible