The Virgin's Revenge: A Rancho del Cielo…

The Virgin's Revenge: A Rancho del Cielo Romance (Ranch del Cielo)

by Dee Tenorio

Full Review is up on http://scorchingbookreviews.blogsopt.com

Amanda was a bit of a stubborn idiot at times but on the whole I liked her. She was trying to break out of the protective barriers created by her elder brothers but there was something inside telling her she wasn’t good enough to make it on her own. Never really having seen the “I will kill you painfully and they will never find the body” side of her eldest brother, she never really understood the barrier that other men faced. She just assumed that she wasn’t worth fighting for, that she was destined for a life in the shadows.When Cole asks her out, she doesn’t believe it’s anything other than a joke.When she hears about the plan, it all makes sense her head. Yes, she’s hurt by her brother’s actions but also it’s a way to get rid of the virginity she doesn’t think she’ll ever get rid of otherwise. She really was a woman with issues and I felt so much pity for that.

Unfortunately, there were also points I wanted to slap her upside the head. Her stubbornness was cute, but over the top. I loved that she traded skills for life skills (i.e. cooking lessons for electrical safety lessons) but her reasoning pissed me off. Being self sufficient is one thing; learning these skills to prove a point and never having to ask your brother? Bit much. She was likeable but a little childish in her reasoning.

Cole I adored. Cole didn’t want to be married because his parents had had a terrible one, but he forgot about that soon enough. What I loved throughout this tale was the total devotion he had to Amanda. He didn’t stifle her,didn’t control her; he tried to enable her to make her own way. He arranged for her to learn car maintenance, tried to romance her even though she was a sure thing and he never let up trying to show her she was a person worth knowing. He had some of the best lines in this entire book and I fell for him hook, line and sinker. The scene where he found out about the catalogue was the best in the book for me; that firm control snapped and we got some seriously pissed off man... *swoon*. Of course the fact that he knew Elfish and Klingon only cemented my love of him...I love secret nerds :D

"There's more to sex than just going at it." He pressed a kiss to the corner of her mouth, then another along her cheek. She turned her head to give him more room. "There's not much satisfaction in that. You should have build-up. Anticipation. Temptation. Seduction."

The side characters of this tale made it even better. A special mention must go out to Locke... I cannot wait for his book! He was a complete caveman for the majority of the book, but the scene where he explains how much he gave up to bring them all up made me tear up; there are many hidden layers to that man, I can’t wait for his story (especially with the big massive clue Dee throws our way in the Epilogue :D)

This is a contemporary with angst, humour and sexual tension throughout. With a Hero that made me swoon and a side character that made me cry, I don’t think I could ask for anything more. Read it for Cole if nothing else.... he named his motorbike "friend" in Elfish. ( )
  Scorchingrevs | Sep 21, 2013 |
3.5 starsWhy I read it: I was offered a review copy and the blurb looked fun.What it's about: (from Goodreads) If you can't beat 'em...seduce 'emAmanda Jackman’s love life is the stuff dreams are made of...which is fitting, because it’s all in her head. Thanks to six oversized, overbearing brothers who treat her like the family jewel, she’s lived in a padded little box.Determined to get a life before she needs a padded little cell, she sets out to throw off the yoke and live on her own terms. Except she seriously underestimates the lengths to which her brothers will go to keep her safe and sound.Cole Engstrom’s life might just be at an end. Cornered by all six of the massive Jackmans—men he normally considers his friends—he learns he’s their choice to marry their sister...or else. Make that first choice, but not the last.Rather than watch Amanda’s brothers club their way through potential mates, Cole figures it’s best to just play along for a while and buy her some time to find a man of her own. It’s a good plan. Until Amanda figures it out—and decides he’s the one to relieve her of her “sheltered little virgin” status. One seduction at a time...What worked for me (and what didn't): Amanda has crushed on Cole for years but thought he only viewed her as a "little sister". Cole has had the hots for Amanda for almost as long but thought she was off limits because of her big tough brothers. It is only when they are forced together by the machinations of the eldest brother Locke, that the chemistry which has been kept under wraps for so long ignites. This book takes the "big mis" and kind of turns it on its head. Part of the fun of the story is that every time either Cole or Amanda have a plan, almost immediately, the other finds out about it and re-plans accordingly. The device made those aspects of the story fun rather than annoying. Also, there was no malice to the deceptions.I did think this was going to be a funnier book than I ended up finding it to be. Amanda has been so well looked after by her brothers that she feels incapable of doing anything for herself and in the end, the book is very much about Amanda coming into her own. So, not as funny, but satisfying on a more serious note. Cole, seeing (and overhearing - the sneak!) that Amanda lacks self confidence, sets out to help her "fly" on her own. He believes (mistakenly) that she will not want to be with him forever and she believes (mistakenly) that he is not a long term man. I'm not sure I entirely bought that Amanda didn't believe Cole's declaration of love when he finally fessed up - they really have been best friends for a very long time and he had never treated her like anything less than precious to him. The chemistry between Cole and Amanda was smoking and the author did a great job of the build up of sexual tension - I found myself a little frustrated on their behalf until they finally get it on! :DIt did have some funny bits - Amanda's brothers "the elder twins" are dense as two short planks and their apology card was something special. Plus, I'm always one to laugh about snorting french fries up the nose.This is a fun easy read with some sizzling chemistry, with a hot nerd hero who wants his lady to be everything she can be. Really, you gotta love a hot nerd. :)What else? I haven't read the other books in the series and I'm not sure what effect (if any) that had on my reading experience. I bet that the next book will be about Locke and Susie and I think they have a secret....!Grade: B-This book is out on 3 July from Samhain. www.kaetrinsmusings.blogspot.com ( )
  Kaetrin | Aug 13, 2012 |
  Kaetrin | Aug 9, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,413,723 books! | Top bar: Always visible