The Countess Conspiracy by Courtney Milan

The Countess Conspiracy

by Courtney Milan

Another in the Brothers Sinister series, we follow Sebastian and Violet.

In 1826, a lady is supposed to be seen and not heard. She is not supposed to be educated or intelligent and is meant for breeding the next generation. When Violet breaks the mold, she is quickly quashed by society, until Sebastian presents her ideas as his own-until he feels like a fraud and refuses to continue.

Courtney Milan's writing style is fluid and easy to read. The reason this only gets 4 stars is that while I look to romance as an escape, as a beacon that "good men" do exist somewhere (and I'm married to one, so I know it to be true), Violet pushed me to distraction. The groundwork was laid for Sebastian, growing up with Violet, "worshiping her from afar," so I kind of get it, but there comes a breaking point. I know I'd reached it and I'm not sure why Sebastian didn't. In the end, Ms. Milan did a good job of presenting her case, and the resolution was satisfying, but too many times I wanted to shake Violet. And yes, I understood what her issues were. I do want to say hooray for Violet's mother, who wasn't quite the tyrant she was painted to be originally.

Definitely worth the read, but be prepared for a somewhat unlikeable heroine. ( )
  Karla.Brandenburg | Dec 12, 2017 |
I didn't much care for this book in the beginning but by the end it had won me over completely. Dammit anyway. ( )
  ElleyOtter | Nov 28, 2017 |
“Ah, the rule that says that women aren’t allowed to be intelligent.” He brushed a kiss against her forehead. “Burn that one to the ground, Violet, and dance on the ashes. And damn anyone who tells you it’s selfish to do so.”

Sigh.

I adore Courtney Milan. I feel like I know her, and we should totally be friends. ( )
  moonlight_reads | Dec 11, 2016 |
Violet is a countess and secretly the scientific mind behind the scandalous research of Sebastian Malheur, noted rake, who’s actually been in love with her since they were kids. Violet fears showing any kind of emotion because she had a traumatic upbringing and a more traumatic marriage, while Sebastian can’t seem to get anyone to take him seriously even though he always gives Violet love and support (other than a few well-justified fights). Unlike the others in this series, this book just left me cold and I don’t know why. ( )
  rivkat | Sep 27, 2016 |
Sebastian Malheur, rake and up and coming scientist of the Cambridge set has two secrets. The first is that the scientific work he presents is not his own and is rather a conspiracy to have the scientific community to consider the work of his best friend, Violet Waterfield, Countess of Cambury. The second is that he's in love with Violet. But Violet has a past that haunts her and even if Sebastian can get her to look up from her scientific work for even a moment, getting her to consider that she's lovable and capable of loving may be a feat beyond even his powers.

Yay for historical romances with lady scientists! I thoroughly enjoyed the appearances of Violet and Sebastian in the previous Sinister Brothers novels and was delighted when I got to read a novel devoted to them. Given their last encounter in The Heiress Effect, I knew all was not as it appeared to be with these two and I was so pleased to discover the mysteries these two characters were hiding. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 28, 2015 |

Sebastian Malheur is the most dangerous sort of rake: an educated one. When he's not scandalizing ladies in the bedchamber, he's outraging proper society with his scientific theories. He's desired, reviled, acclaimed, and despised--and he laughs through it all. Violet Waterfield, the widowed Countess of Cambury, on the other hand, is entirely respectable, and she'd like to stay that way. But Violet has a secret that is beyond ruinous, one that ties her irrevocably to England's most infamous scoundrel: Sebastian's theories aren't his. They're hers. So when Sebastian threatens to dissolve their years-long conspiracy, she'll do anything to save their partnership, even if it means opening her vulnerable heart to the rake who could destroy it for good.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible