The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

The Duchess War (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

Member:littlebookworm
Title:The Duchess War
Authors:Courtney Milan
Info:Courtney Milan (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition
Collections:Kindle Books
Tags:read 2013, historical romance

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (Author)

I haven't read any romance novels since my Georgette Heyer jag, but I was pleasantly surprised by the plottiness of this book. I finished the rest of the series, if that tells you how much I liked it! ( )
  youkosiren | Aug 22, 2016 |
I suggest you read [b:The Governess Affair|13190596|The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)|Courtney Milan|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1363009352s/13190596.jpg|18371803] first. It is not necessary, but you will have deeper understanding of the hero.

What can I say about the book that made me laugh, then moved on the keep me on the verge of tears only to made me cry for more than half of the story? I loved it, I loved its characters, I wanted all of them to be happy, with the exception of one bad guy. It made me think of the rest of the characters, not just the two main.

And those two? I am thinking really hard how to explain how I felt while reading this story.
This is not a story of a rake and a shy spinster. Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, is completely opposite of that. He is trying not to be like his father. He is noble, good and he thinks the best he can expect of his future family life is respect, but never love. After all, who would love someone whose father was the eighth duke of Clermont? And he is hiding in a library of his host in the beginning of the story. So is Miss Minerva Lane. She is not beautiful, her face is scarred and she has a secret. For the last twelve years she made herself small and quiet because of her past. She made herself almost non-existent always keeping her eyes on the ground until the moment Robert came into her life and asked her to look up.

Other characters are equally great. Some of them made mistakes, but redeemed themselves in the course of the story. ( )
  Aneris | Aug 12, 2016 |
OK, fine, it's as adorable as promised. Feelgood historical romance with protagonists who have extremely progressive views and lots of banter. Minnie Lane is a spinster with a secret, and when a duke comes to town, he threatens (initially without knowing what he's doing) to expose her to renewed calumny. Cute as heck. ( )
  rivkat | Aug 3, 2016 |
The Duchess War
3 Stars

After a childhood in the limelight, Miss Minerva Lane has dedicated her life to keeping a low profile. Thus, when Robert Blaisdell, Duke of Clermont with his gorgeous smile and secret agenda, arrives in town and threatens Minnie’s well-ordered existence, she knows that something will have to be done. As Minnie and Robert set out to discover each others’ secrets, little do they know that their private war is about to become very public …

Wonderful premise, but weak execution mainly due to the fact that there are too many criss-crossing plot threads.

Minnie and Robert’s romance starts out well with some excellent stolen moments and witty banter. The author would have been better served developing this simple love/hate relationship rather than adding numerous unnecessary and confusing plotlines.

To begin with, the underlying cause of Minnie and Robert’s conflict is problematic given the circumstances, i.e., Minnie’s desire to help the working class and Robert’s interest in social justice. Based on this, one would think they would be allies rather than enemies, but this is not the case because of Minnie’s troubled past.

And herein lies the problem with the book as Milan begins to add a host of unrealistic characters and events that make absolutely no sense within the narrative and the setting. For example, the villain is a weak willed nobody whose social standing should not enable him to have any power over a duke yet somehow he does. Moreover, the behavior of Robert’s neglectful and manipulative mother is completely inconsistent. At first she spurns Minnie but then decides to accept and support her? Then, there is Minnie’s supposedly loyal friend who turns her back the moment she feels slighted, not to mention Robert’s illegitimate half-brother who evokes in him both feelings and guilt and jealousy. There is simply too much in such a short book and none of it manages to come together properly.

All in all, a disappointing read given all the hype and I doubt that I will be continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
The beginning was brilliant, highlighting two protagonists who were very compelling. The radical Duke was intriguing enough, but the extraordinarily clever heroine even more so. They both had interesting backgrounds and baggage, especially Minnie's secret which was dark enough that she needed to stay as unobtrusive, unobserved, and as unknown as possible. The chemistry towards the beginning was nicely intelligent and tantalizing, while the second half seemed less extraordinary but fine and pleasantly typical romance fare.

3.5 stars rounded up for just how attractively clever I found the "plain" heroine to be ( )
  LocoLibros | Mar 28, 2016 |

Milan, CourtneyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geiler, Ute-ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carey
who prefers beagles over bagels
Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, was not hiding.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

"Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that's precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match."--Back cover.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

78 wanted1 pay1 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,161,641 books! | Top bar: Always visible