The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

The Duchess War (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

Member:littlebookworm
Title:The Duchess War
Authors:Courtney Milan
Info:Courtney Milan (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition
Collections:Kindle Books
Tags:read 2013, historical romance

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (Author)

I suggest you read [b:The Governess Affair|13190596|The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)|Courtney Milan|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1363009352s/13190596.jpg|18371803] first. It is not necessary, but you will have deeper understanding of the hero.

What can I say about the book that made me laugh, then moved on the keep me on the verge of tears only to made me cry for more than half of the story? I loved it, I loved its characters, I wanted all of them to be happy, with the exception of one bad guy. It made me think of the rest of the characters, not just the two main.

And those two? I am thinking really hard how to explain how I felt while reading this story.
This is not a story of a rake and a shy spinster. Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, is completely opposite of that. He is trying not to be like his father. He is noble, good and he thinks the best he can expect of his future family life is respect, but never love. After all, who would love someone whose father was the eighth duke of Clermont? And he is hiding in a library of his host in the beginning of the story. So is Miss Minerva Lane. She is not beautiful, her face is scarred and she has a secret. For the last twelve years she made herself small and quiet because of her past. She made herself almost non-existent always keeping her eyes on the ground until the moment Robert came into her life and asked her to look up.

Other characters are equally great. Some of them made mistakes, but redeemed themselves in the course of the story. ( )
  Irena. | Jan 28, 2016 |
Minnie wants nothing more than to appear as insignificant as possible, marry the least unobjectionable of suitors, and leave her scandalous past behind her. Until the Robert Blaisdell, Duke of Clermont discovers her hiding behind a davenport. That single encounter leaves the Duke fascinated by the seeming contradictions of Minnie's character. As he works to uncover just who this woman is, he'll discover that she sees far more abou him than he thought anyone would ever recognize.

I've found another historical romance author that I enjoy in Milan. With strong, well-drawn characters and a plot that exists as more than a frame between scenes of flirtation and seduction, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am very glad that I have the rest of the series waiting for me on my iPad. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 21, 2015 |
A very good book. I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
A very good book. I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
The Duchess War is my first time reading this author and this is book 1 in The Brothers Sinister series.

The storyline centers on Miss Minerva Lane, who gives the appearance of being a shy, simple woman, but who really is independent and can think for herself. She has been raised by her aunts and is expected to marry a man she does not love, but who will save her from spinsterhood. Minerva has a past that she is hiding. She is not what is seen as a classic beauty, she wears spectacles and has a scar on her face. She suffers from crippling anxiety when faced with a crowd.

Enter Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont. Robert is in town to right what his father did wrong. One of his main hang-ups in life is people thinking that he is anything like his abusive father.
Both Minnie and Robert are involved in lobbying for workers rights and Robert secretly writes radical pamphlets. There are people looking for the author of said pamphlets. Robert wants to use his power as a Duke to help the workers and he knows that he can help make a change.

What I enjoyed here is that the author weaves themes of religion, science, family issues really well into the plot. The supporting cast of characters all add to the story.

I liked both Robert and Minnie. They are smart, funny, flawed and multifaceted. Minnie isn’t a stereotypical beauty, but her personality and wit get and keep Robert’s attention right away. I liked that he loves her for who she is on the inside.

The love scenes were good as well, none of that cheesey boddice ripping. These two love each other and there is plenty of build up and sizzling passion. The love scenes seemed realistic.
It all wraps up nicely and I was happy with the ending.

read my review in full here

Disclaimer: This review is my honest opinion. I did not receive any kind of compensation for reading and reviewing this book. I am under no obligation to write a positive review. I purchased my copy of The Duchess War by Courtney Milan. ( )
  bookworm_naida | Dec 5, 2015 |

Milan, CourtneyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geiler, Ute-ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carey
who prefers beagles over bagels
Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, was not hiding.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

"Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that's precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match."--Back cover.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

85 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,047,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible