The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

The Duchess War (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

Member:littlebookworm
Title:The Duchess War
Authors:Courtney Milan
Info:Courtney Milan (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition
Collections:Kindle Books
Tags:read 2013, historical romance

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (Author)

The beginning was brilliant, highlighting two protagonists who were very compelling. The radical Duke was intriguing enough, but the extraordinarily clever heroine even more so. They both had interesting backgrounds and baggage, especially Minnie's secret which was dark enough that she needed to stay as unobtrusive, unobserved, and as unknown as possible. The chemistry towards the beginning was nicely intelligent and tantalizing, while the second half seemed less extraordinary but fine and pleasantly typical romance fare.

3.5 stars rounded up for just how attractively clever I found the "plain" heroine to be ( )
  LocoLibros | Mar 28, 2016 |
Usually I like CM’s books but I struggled to get through this one. It was well written, but it just didn’t grab me. ( )
  Marcella1717 | Feb 21, 2016 |
Minnie wants nothing more than to appear as insignificant as possible, marry the least unobjectionable of suitors, and leave her scandalous past behind her. Until the Robert Blaisdell, Duke of Clermont discovers her hiding behind a davenport. That single encounter leaves the Duke fascinated by the seeming contradictions of Minnie's character. As he works to uncover just who this woman is, he'll discover that she sees far more abou him than he thought anyone would ever recognize.

I've found another historical romance author that I enjoy in Milan. With strong, well-drawn characters and a plot that exists as more than a frame between scenes of flirtation and seduction, I thoroughly enjoyed this book and am very glad that I have the rest of the series waiting for me on my iPad. ( )
  MickyFine | Dec 21, 2015 |
A very good book. I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
A very good book. I enjoyed reading it. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |

Milan, CourtneyAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Landor, RosalynNarratormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Geiler, Ute-ChristineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Carey
who prefers beagles over bagels
Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, was not hiding.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

"Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that's precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match."--Back cover.… (more)

85 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,407 books! | Top bar: Always visible