The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

The Duchess War (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

185None63,495 (3.98)15
Member:littlebookworm
Title:The Duchess War
Authors:Courtney Milan
Info:Courtney Milan (2012), Edition: 1, Kindle Edition
Collections:Kindle Books
Tags:read 2013, historical romance

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (Author)

Recently added byRachelNR, private library, JLSMEG, nerdchills, SophieCale, Zanzando, Brendelicious, rosclarke, adotto

Poor Robert.

Poor poor Robert.

This book lacked depth. I expected to be sucked into their world. And nothing of that sort happened. She glossed over so many things that could have spiced up the novel. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
Read/Listened for Fun (Kindle/Audible)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: The Duchess War was just as heavy as the novella was--these are not light historicals but they are good!

Overall Thoughts: I am just going to say it: Courtney Milan goes for the emotional gut every dang time and won't stop until she has rung you dry! These are not for those that prefer light historicals. The issues addressed in this series are real, raw, and sometimes downright emotionally gripping. In this one, the leading lady dealt with something that is pretty easy to identify now but back then would have been paralyzing. I love how Courtney dealt with it and made the love story happen around it. I was less emotionally gutted by the leading guy, Robert, but he was a great match for Minerva. I think together they brought out each others better qualities.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Rosalyn Landor / Length: 11 hrs and 3 mins

Rosalyn is one of my favorite historical romance narrators! I just love how she makes the characters come alive. This was another knock out of the park and I think Rosalyn/Courtney make a good audiobook match set!

Final Thoughts: Emotionally gripping and extremely fulfilling. ( )
  thehistorychic | Jan 16, 2014 |
I loved this book. As I’ve mentioned in other reviews I am fairly new to historical romances – I am much more of a contemporary fan. But if this is representative of the genre, then I might have to convert my allegiance. (Sorry. As you can see, I’ve just finished reading it. The language conventions are lingering in my head.)

As far as I’m concerned, this book had everything – good writing, wonderful characters, an involved plot that allowed the romance to develop, humor, wonderful family and friend relationships – not-so-wonderful family and friend relationships that were quite wonderfully resolved… I could go on. The upshot, however, was that it was utterly satisfying. So much so that I found myself staying up until 2:30 in the morning to skim to the end just to that I could have the pleasure of fully immersing myself in the ending again the next day without being distracted by worrying about the resolution. (Yes, I look at the last page of mysteries and actively seek out spoilers. I’m funny that way.)

Speaking of funny, there were several laugh out loud moments sprinkled throughout the book – partly just from the unexpected twists of language. One of my favorites:

“I earned this, fair and square.” Well, maybe it hadn’t been fair. And maybe it hadn’t been precisely square. Still, she’d earned it legally. Legally and…rectangularly. That would have to do.

The scene with Sebastian and Violet on the train stands out as one of my favorites (I’m a sucker for the whole meeting-the-family vibe), as does the scene with the Duchess, Minnie, and her two great-aunts. I also have to say that the Duchess character was unexpectedly poignant – a word that is not usually a selling point for me, but in this case handled exactly right.

I think that this book may be self-published. This is not the author’s first book (or first series), and, being so new to the genre I don’t know if Courtney Milan is already part of the establishment. The cover does say that she is an NYT bestselling author, which does lean me towards the latter and makes me wonder if this is a case where the author just wasn’t willing to compromise her vision. Should that be true, then I’m glad she didn’t. And I can’t wait to read more. ( )
  jendoyle2000 | Jan 3, 2014 |
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, so much so that I was up most of the night reading it. I can't even bring myself to regret the lack of sleep. What I really enjoy about the books that I have read by Courtney Milan so far is that she creates such moving characters that you can't help but feel for them. I loved both Robert and Minnie and felt so horrible for what they both had went through so I was happy to see how their story ended. At times the story did move a bit slowly but I don't feel like my interest in the story was lost because of it. I am looking forward to continuing on with this series, but hopefully all of them won't be read in the middle of the night (I do need my sleep). ( )
  dpappas | Oct 21, 2013 |
This is a very good book -- serious, funny, heartbreaking, romantic, and so damn well written that I would have to give it five stars even if I didn't like the story. I highlighted so many passages, but I think this one is my favorite: It wasn’t that he didn’t believe in love. The thought of love was like water in the desert. Now there was a stupid cliché, one that made him think of a man in ragged clothing staggering through the Sahara, searching for an oasis among the sand dunes. But the Antarctic was a desert, too—a cold desert, one made dry because water there turned to ice the instant it hit the air. So he believed in love. He’d always believed in love. He’d been surrounded by water all his life; it had simply been frozen solid. He’d loved as hard as he dared and watched it freeze before his face. It was no surprise now when he checked his feelings and discovered that he loved her. The surprise was that this time, when he dared to take a sip, he found water instead of ice. He could have wept. I've read all of Milan's books, and this is by far the best. You should read it.

LadyWesley | Sep 25, 2013 |

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

"Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that's precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible