The Duchess War (Volume 1) by Courtney Milan

The Duchess War (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

Member:Unreachableshelf
Title:The Duchess War (Volume 1)
Authors:Courtney Milan
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 270 pages
Tags:fiction, romance, historical romance, victorian romance, brothers sinister

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (Author)

I suggest you read [b:The Governess Affair|13190596|The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)|Courtney Milan|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1363009352s/13190596.jpg|18371803] first. It is not necessary, but you will have deeper understanding of the hero.

What can I say about the book that made me laugh, then moved on the keep me on the verge of tears only to made me cry for more than half of the story? I loved it, I loved its characters, I wanted all of them to be happy, with the exception of one bad guy. It made me think of the rest of the characters, not just the two main.

And those two? I am thinking really hard how to explain how I felt while reading this story.
This is not a story of a rake and a shy spinster. Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, is completely opposite of that. He is trying not to be like his father. He is noble, good and he thinks the best he can expect of his future family life is respect, but never love. After all, who would love someone whose father was the eighth duke of Clermont? And he is hiding in a library of his host in the beginning of the story. So is Miss Minerva Lane. She is not beautiful, her face is scarred and she has a secret. For the last twelve years she made herself small and quiet because of her past. She made herself almost non-existent always keeping her eyes on the ground until the moment Robert came into her life and asked her to look up.

Other characters are equally great. Some of them made mistakes, but redeemed themselves in the course of the story. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
An ARe Cafe top pick.

Miss Minnie Pursling was NOT the rodent the man who pursued her had dubbed her, but the man was the best offer of a husband she could hope for… if she could stomach the idea, that is. While attending another party that night she had not expected to be evading her soon-to-be betrothed, finding herself at the feet of a man, or getting accosted by her friend’s fiancé who had been digging into her past. She had her secrets and she couldn’t let the truth out now even if it brought her closer to the intriguing stranger that had found her in a compromising position.
Robert Blaisdele, 9th Duke of Clermont, quietly looked out the window to the street below him in the darkness of the room he had escaped to. His only thoughts were on what he hoped to gain from his personal mission. Watching the “object” revealing itself from the shadows, he didn’t expect to be disrupted by a woman looking up at him, hiding from two very rude gentlemen and apparently trying to evade her very own fiancé.

Minnie’s secret needed to be kept, but with the Captain digging into her past she could only hope that no one ever found out. After calling out the person she believed was responsible for the distribution of radical flyers, she was shocked that he didn’t throw her out. Instead, he made her an offer. An offer to woo and protect her reputation and to vow she would have a wedding proposal before he left town. Robert wanted to find out who was causing the problems that troubled the workers and owners for some time, and would sacrifice himself if it meant protecting Minnie and getting to the truth. Proposing marriage, he hoped she would accept, but when his estranged mother steps in, all is lost. When someone he loves is accused of his crimes he must decide what to do, out his new bride like her father did as a child, or let someone swing for something he didn’t do?

This book was a delicious treat from start to finish. Courtney Milan’s historicals never fail to entertain and I love her headstrong and smart heroines and her sexy and stalwart heroes. Minnie has gone through more than her share of scandal and trials throughout her life, and getting involved with Robert’s plan brings her again into another situation that leaves her vulnerable because of her trust in a man she loves. Robert never wanted the responsibility thrown at him but his strong determination to right the wrongs done by his father leave two of the people he loves in danger, thanks to his method. A very captivating read that was a well-deserved Top Pick for this month. ( )
  AReCafe | May 23, 2014 |
One of the best wedding nights written, next to Jamie & Claire! ( )
  CMBlaker | May 6, 2014 |

Poor Robert.

Poor poor Robert.

This book lacked depth. I expected to be sucked into their world. And nothing of that sort happened. She glossed over so many things that could have spiced up the novel. ( )
  ashpapoye | Jan 24, 2014 |
Read/Listened for Fun (Kindle/Audible)
Tracking Books Read Review (Short)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 4.25

Audio Rating: 4.50 (not part of the overall rating)

First Thought when Finished: The Duchess War was just as heavy as the novella was--these are not light historicals but they are good!

Overall Thoughts: I am just going to say it: Courtney Milan goes for the emotional gut every dang time and won't stop until she has rung you dry! These are not for those that prefer light historicals. The issues addressed in this series are real, raw, and sometimes downright emotionally gripping. In this one, the leading lady dealt with something that is pretty easy to identify now but back then would have been paralyzing. I love how Courtney dealt with it and made the love story happen around it. I was less emotionally gutted by the leading guy, Robert, but he was a great match for Minerva. I think together they brought out each others better qualities.

Audio Thoughts:

Narrated By Rosalyn Landor / Length: 11 hrs and 3 mins

Rosalyn is one of my favorite historical romance narrators! I just love how she makes the characters come alive. This was another knock out of the park and I think Rosalyn/Courtney make a good audiobook match set!

Final Thoughts: Emotionally gripping and extremely fulfilling. ( )
  thehistorychic | Jan 16, 2014 |
For Carey
who prefers beagles over bagels
Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, was not hiding.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

"Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that's precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,307,225 books! | Top bar: Always visible