The Duchess War (Volume 1) by Courtney Milan

The Duchess War (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

3072036,351 (3.89)20
Member:Unreachableshelf
Title:The Duchess War (Volume 1)
Authors:Courtney Milan
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 270 pages
Tags:fiction, romance, historical romance, victorian romance, brothers sinister

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (Author)

First I have to say if all the threads were pulled together this could have been a terrific story. There were some very sad moments both Minnie and Robert had difficult childhoods, especially Minnie. Now some may say that such sadness takes away from the romance but I often think it makes the reader appreciate the love that the main characters find. I did have some issues with Minne's "aunts" - I didn't find that storyline made sense. I felt the aunt's were ashamed or trying to punish Minnie. I also didn't care for the relationship between Robert and his family/friends. ( )
  mmoj | Aug 16, 2015 |
I really enjoyed this book, it made me feel like I'd been too long away from the 19th century. This was set in the Victorian era rather than my usual Regency haunts. It was fun to read a book where the heroine is so much smarter than everyone around her, and the problems that creates (on top of the requisite-yet-different scandal). The MMC's personality sometimes seemed a little forced/not totally realistic, but all in all it was a fun, fast-paced read. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
review over at nordie.wordpress.com
  nordie | Apr 28, 2015 |
For Carey
who prefers beagles over bagels
Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, was not hiding.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

"Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that's precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match."--Back cover.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

83 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,005,346 books! | Top bar: Always visible