The Duchess War (Volume 1) by Courtney Milan

The Duchess War (Volume 1) (edition 2012)

by Courtney Milan

Member:Unreachableshelf
Title:The Duchess War (Volume 1)
Authors:Courtney Milan
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2012), Paperback, 270 pages
Tags:fiction, romance, historical romance, victorian romance, brothers sinister

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan (Author)

I really enjoyed this book, it made me feel like I'd been too long away from the 19th century. This was set in the Victorian era rather than my usual Regency haunts. It was fun to read a book where the heroine is so much smarter than everyone around her, and the problems that creates (on top of the requisite-yet-different scandal). The MMC's personality sometimes seemed a little forced/not totally realistic, but all in all it was a fun, fast-paced read. ( )
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |
review over at nordie.wordpress.com
  nordie | Apr 28, 2015 |
The beginning was looking up, but then it went downhill. WAY downhill. At least there wasn't any rape. ( )
  IsaboeOfLumatere | Jan 14, 2015 |
A solid and mostly enjoyable romance novel. Milan does a good job at creating distinct and likeable characters who have a believable attraction to one another, and who mostly talk to one another about things rather than letting misapprehensions fester. Sadly, however, Robert and Minnie did always feel more like 21st century Americans playing dress-up than they did 19th century English people.

One thing which I noticed here and in other historical romance novels that I've read: what is it about saddling aristocratic characters with terribly long names of dubious authenticity and then having them trot them out, along with their full title, at every introduction or when they sign a letter? "I'm Alastair Brayden Christopher Darlington, Fifth Earl of FigurativeTitle, pleased to meet you", etc. I've met members of the nobility and that is not a thing that happens. ( )
  siriaeve | Jan 1, 2015 |
I suggest you read [b:The Governess Affair|13190596|The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)|Courtney Milan|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1363009352s/13190596.jpg|18371803] first. It is not necessary, but you will have deeper understanding of the hero.

What can I say about the book that made me laugh, then moved on the keep me on the verge of tears only to made me cry for more than half of the story? I loved it, I loved its characters, I wanted all of them to be happy, with the exception of one bad guy. It made me think of the rest of the characters, not just the two main.

And those two? I am thinking really hard how to explain how I felt while reading this story.
This is not a story of a rake and a shy spinster. Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, is completely opposite of that. He is trying not to be like his father. He is noble, good and he thinks the best he can expect of his future family life is respect, but never love. After all, who would love someone whose father was the eighth duke of Clermont? And he is hiding in a library of his host in the beginning of the story. So is Miss Minerva Lane. She is not beautiful, her face is scarred and she has a secret. For the last twelve years she made herself small and quiet because of her past. She made herself almost non-existent always keeping her eyes on the ground until the moment Robert came into her life and asked her to look up.

Other characters are equally great. Some of them made mistakes, but redeemed themselves in the course of the story. ( )
  Irena. | Aug 26, 2014 |
For Carey
who prefers beagles over bagels
Robert Blaisdell, the ninth duke of Clermont, was not hiding.

Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectacled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention.

But that is precisely what she gets.

Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match...

"Miss Minerva Lane is a quiet, bespectled wallflower, and she wants to keep it that way. After all, the last time she was the center of attention, it ended badly--so badly that she changed her name to escape her scandalous past. Wallflowers may not be the prettiest of blooms, but at least they don't get trampled. So when a handsome duke comes to town, the last thing she wants is his attention. But that's precisely what she gets. Because Robert Blaisdell, the Duke of Clermont, is not fooled. When Minnie figures out what he's up to, he realizes there is more to her than her spectacles and her quiet ways. And he's determined to lay her every secret bare before she can discover his. But this time, one shy miss may prove to be more than his match."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Courtney Milan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,216,588 books! | Top bar: Always visible