Cruel Numbers by Christopher Beats

Cruel Numbers

by Christopher Beats

Recently added bymom2lnb, MrsLee, slkpcme, PandoraBlack

An alternate timeline of our American history, the South has won the Civil War and the North is left to the Robber Barons. The West is a bit unclear but doesn't come into the story. Life is gritty and dark if you are one of the poor immigrant nationalities. Donovan is a veteran of the war, and ex-Pinkerton and now a free-lance detective. He is set the task to find a missing girl for her family. Written to feel like a Noir detective novel, this Steampunk world almost tries too hard. I didn't love it, I didn't hate it, I wasn't really moved by the drama or characters. For me personally, there was too much profanity. The lead character's relationship with his estranged wife left me cold. ( )
  MrsLee | May 24, 2013 |

After the North loses the War of Southern Secession, money buys power in the Magnocracy, and people can disappear in a blink. War veteran Donovan Schist's specialty is finding these missing persons. There isn't much money in it, but he sleeps a little better.This time, Donovan is looking for a girl named Bridget Cleary. Her family's had no word from her for months. Donovan's certain he'll find her belly-up, but it seems her talent for analytical machines has made her a valuable asset to the powers that be--an asset that they're determined to keep hidden and out of reach. In over his head, Donovan enlists his friend Verhalen to help. The eccentric inventor may be unstable, but his steam-powered gadgets give Donovan the edge.Donovan's no stranger to the rougher edges of society, but when the usual threats turn to attacks on his life, it quickly becomes clear that someone very important does not want him to find Bridget Cleary...42,000 words… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,155,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible