dismiss

The Bookseller (2012)

by Mark Pryor

Series: Hugo Marston (1)

When his bookseller friend, a former Holocaust survivor and Nazi hunter, is kidnapped and other booksellers are murdered, Hugo Marston, head of security for the U.S. embassy in Paris, discovers a shocking conspiracy.

This book is a little difficult to rate, for it's genre, the rating could probably be at least a 3.5 to 4 but as far as my own perception and enjoyment of the book, a 2 is generous. Good plot with little snippets of current events interwoven throughout, lots of little credible twists but the biggest problem are the characters were very cliche; for example the story takes place primarily in Paris, France yet an American from Texas who wears cowboy boots is the hero. Initially I had picked up the book, as other reviewers also commented, based on the title and was exploring other books in the series but the pontificating of American "values" was tiresome so will nix that idea. ( )
  EvaJanczaruk | May 31, 2020 |

I really wanted to like this book, and there were parts I did enjoy: many of the descriptions of Paris were good, and I liked some of the characterizations. Hugo was at times interesting and suggested some hidden depths. But some parts dragged and seemed formulaic. A writer like Alan Furst makes Paris more than a setting and almost a character. Here it is largely setting. There are cliches as well: Hugo is from Texas, so of course he wears boots. The plot is serviceable and there was enough good writing to keep my interest, but literary thriller it is not. Maybe the sequel will be. ( )
  ChristopherSwann | May 15, 2020 |
Given the theme, I really wanted to like this one so I'd have a new mystery series to dive into. But there wasn't much memorable at all about this book, so while I might pick up the next book if it falls into my path, I probably won't go seeking them out. ( )
  JBD1 | May 25, 2019 |
Takes place in France. Started off really strongly, then kinda lost me in the end. The idea of the book was very intriguing, and sounded like it would make for a good story, and it did. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
I think it'd be better in book form -- but prose didn't really wow me either, in the short sample I heard.
  lulaa | Aug 25, 2018 |
To my wife, Sarah
The largest of Notre Dame's bells tolled noon just as Hugo reached the end of the bridge, the brittle air seeming to hold on to the final clang longer than usual.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,076,065 books! | Top bar: Always visible