The Bookseller by Mark Pryor

The Bookseller (2012)

by Mark Pryor

Given the theme, I really wanted to like this one so I'd have a new mystery series to dive into. But there wasn't much memorable at all about this book, so while I might pick up the next book if it falls into my path, I probably won't go seeking them out. ( )
  JBD1 | May 25, 2019 |
Takes place in France. Started off really strongly, then kinda lost me in the end. The idea of the book was very intriguing, and sounded like it would make for a good story, and it did. ( )
  EBassett | Mar 20, 2019 |
I think it'd be better in book form -- but prose didn't really wow me either, in the short sample I heard.
  lulaa | Aug 25, 2018 |
My first by this author. I was drawn to it partly by the setting but also because I love British authors best of all. I wasn't disappointed. Interesting characters, fast pace, good balance of action and reflection. Held my attention well. Nice descriptions of Paris streets and cafes. The main character is an American in Paris attached to the US Embassy. As it is a British writer, however, you can see that the protagonist has some British characteristics (reserve, politeness) mixed in with some American. The author is from the UK but lives in Texas, hence the mix. The plot had some nice twists and turns with a good few dangerous confrontations, quite a good effort overall for a first novel. Nothing I didn't like about it so I will definitely read more in this series. ( )
  MitchMcCrimmon | Apr 27, 2018 |
Fictional sleuths, whether amateur or professional, are rarely witnesses to the crimes they investigate, but such is the case in “The Bookseller,” the first novel (published in 2012) in the Hugo Marston mystery series written by Mark Pryor.

Marston is actually a professional sleuth operating as an amateur. A former FBI agent from Texas, he now works in Paris as head of security at the U.S. Embassy. Investigating French crimes is hardly in his job description, but one day at the start of his vacation he buys some books from an old bookseller who operates his small business from a stall on the street. Before he leaves he witnesses the bookseller being taken away against his will. But what to Marston's eye seems like an obvious kidnapping, the French police write off as just a man leaving with friends, never mind that someone who clearly knows nothing about books is running the bookstall the next day.

Marston had thought he might use his vacation to return to Texas to try to rekindle his relationship with his ex-wife, but she lets him know it would be a wasted trip. Besides he now has a disappearance to investigate, and he soon meets a woman who may help him forget his wife. But Claudia turns out to be the daughter of one of the wealthiest men in Paris, a man who doesn't want his daughter getting serious with a middle-class American. Then the father turns out to be both a collector of rare books and a man with secrets, raising the possibility that he could somehow be involved in the bookseller's disappearance. Was his meeting Claudia more than just a happy accident?

Helping in the unofficial probe of this unofficial crime is Tom, Marston's old friend and a former CIA agent. Together they make progress, but not before bodies start piling up, each that of a Paris street vendor. Finally the police get involved.

“The Bookseller” proves to be an exciting, fast-paced mystery with intriguing characters. It does, however, lose much of its credibility when a French police captain allows Marston and his friend to take the lead in his investigation. This didn't seem very likely in the days of Hercule Poirot, and it's even less so now. ( )
  hardlyhardy | Feb 23, 2018 |
To my wife, Sarah
The largest of Notre Dame's bells tolled noon just as Hugo reached the end of the bridge, the brittle air seeming to hold on to the final clang longer than usual.

When his bookseller friend, a former Holocaust survivor and Nazi hunter, is kidnapped and other booksellers are murdered, Hugo Marston, head of security for the U.S. embassy in Paris, discovers a shocking conspiracy.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,506 books! | Top bar: Always visible