No title (2012)

Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Bookseller by Mark Pryor (2012)

Purchased this as Whispersync through Book Gorilla.
Forget the summary; it skews the timeline.
Simply take Paris, American Embassy security chief on vacation,a good friend who is bookseller, rare books which are not what they seem, a reporter who is not what she seems, local cops who are not what they seem, an old friend who is CIA retired, and several murders. And be prepared to become addicted to Hugo Marsden's way of things (with plot twists).
Michael Prichard does a fine job of differentiating characters and adding snark.

My great disappointment is that there are no more of this series available on audio! ( )
  jetangen4571 | Feb 1, 2016 |
This book was just "meh." There had to be too much explanation at the end to tidy things up, instead of a wonderfully and intricately woven story that comes together naturally. It wasn't the worst book I've ever read but I've read much better. ( )
  jamaicanmecrazy | Dec 30, 2015 |
I liked it, but it's nothing special. The formula of the book is as old as it can get: Main protagonist has a friend in the CIA to make research easy, he meets a 'girl' that also has connections, and of course it clicked instantly btw them. At least there is no ticking clock to the investigation or I could swear I was reading a Dan Brown novel.

The hero of the book is likable, if unbelievable in his role. For a head of security for an embassy that once worked for the FBI, he sure seem to know nothing about security protocols and interrogations. You'll also probably guess the plot resolution before the end of the book.

But at least the story is interesting. A summer book, not much more. ( )
  kinwolf | Jul 6, 2015 |
I enjoyed The Bookseller for its window into Parisian life and for the background it provided of the bookstall owners. I've seen so many photographs of the bouquinistes, yet this is the first time I've read anything of their history. It was fascinating.

Unfortunately, the rest of the book wasn't on par with its insights into Paris and one of its institutions. Having deduced what was happening to the booksellers and why very early on, I wondered how long it would take Hugo Marston to put the pieces together. Too long, as it happens. Moreover, Marston himself never really clicked as a main character for me, and neither did his friend Tom Green. Both have promise, but both lacked that indefinable spark that would bring them to life.

Now that I've said all that, I will say that this is a promising debut mystery, and I am more than willing to give the next book in the series a try. ( )
  cathyskye | Sep 12, 2014 |
This was a good one -- satisfying in that the sleuth and his colleagues are likable and the mystery gets resolved and the bad guys dealt with. The descriptions of Paris are nicely done, evocative but not intrusive. The story involves a former FBI guy who works security for the U.S. embassy in Paris. He collects books on a small scale and has befriended one of the many street booksellers who have shops along the Seine. His friend is kidnapped before his eyes, and in trying to rescue him, he uncovers many secrets and ultimately helps the Paris police solve a big case with many tentacles. His journalist girlfriend and his alcoholic buddy from FBI days are both well drawn. This was Pryor's first mystery in a series, and I hope to see these characters again. ( )
  Hanneri | May 18, 2014 |
To my wife, Sarah
The largest of Notre Dame's bells tolled noon just as Hugo reached the end of the bridge, the brittle air seeming to hold on to the final clang longer than usual.

When his bookseller friend, a former Holocaust survivor and Nazi hunter, is kidnapped and other booksellers are murdered, Hugo Marston, head of security for the U.S. embassy in Paris, discovers a shocking conspiracy.

33 wanted1 pay4 pay

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,050,751 books! | Top bar: Always visible